Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Sep 13, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #6,466 of 6,486
I wish Audeze would get rid of these crap connectors and just go back to using mini-XLR which has worked very nicely for the LCD series for years.

I tend to agree on that. These connectors so far in my experience have been pretty unreliable. When I set up the warranty over the phone with Audeze they said they are working on new headphones and that the EL8 Closed and Open are discontinued and no longer available. They Said the Titanium was the only one still in production. Probably a reason for this. I expect, but have no basis so take this with a grain of salt the titanium will be completely phased out in the near future as well.

Cheers

Riley

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #6,467 of 6,486
Its too bad they are discontinuing the EL-8, I quite like the sound signature of it since its has the HD650 mids with a little more sparkle up top and great planar bass. Mine are one of the originals from 2014.

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #6,468 of 6,486
Its too bad they are discontinuing the EL-8, I quite like the sound signature of it since its has the HD650 mids with a little more sparkle up top and great planar bass. Mine are one of the originals from 2014.

I do love the sound as well. They sound really open compare to an headphone I have had with that oh so awesome planar bass and sparkly treble. It seems more neutral than anything I have had yet it isn't harsh in any way at all. It seems very detailed and it is worth the price in sound, but the build quality could be better in some areas like the cable connection and the earpads could be attached better. Otherwise no complaints. The fit is spot on for my head. I can wear them for days. They don't ever seem to heavy for me. I love the sound isolation too and the fit specifically of the earcups over my ears.

Cheers

Riley

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6,469 of 6,486

This is sad ... I have had EL-8 Open since 2015 and they have grown on me as their hours of use has increased. I wonder what they will bring out to replace them. Just another mid range version at a similar price I guess.

I was tempted to try the EL-8 Closed but will wait !!

Sep 16, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #6,470 of 6,486
The EL-8 Titanium may just be the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen. Hopefully they release a gen 2 based off of it with new drivers. The reviews for the EL-8 were abysmal based on price; consequently, I'd only pay $249 max for the current gen. Critics were scathing.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #6,471 of 6,486
i sent my EL8 ti back for warranty due ot mutiple problems. UPSed them off Wednesday and they got them Friday. They even emailed me to tell me on Friday that They ordered me a replacement pair and put in a request for new stock not B stock. So far pretty happy with their customer service.

Cheers

Riley

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #6,472 of 6,486
The EL-8 Titanium may just be the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen. Hopefully they release a gen 2 based off of it with new drivers. The reviews for the EL-8 were abysmal based on price; consequently, I'd only pay $249 max for the current gen. Critics were scathing.
I think the problem was Audeze had just started using the Fazor technology and the manufacturing process wasn't fine tuned so there was too much variance in build quality so some got an EL-8 that didn't live up to the hype and others like me who really lucked out and got a great pair. Agree that they are over priced these days but when they came out in 2014 it was on the cheaper side for a planar headphone. If they were $350-400 and they changed the stupid connectors to mini-XLR or even SMC jacks I think they would be a great buy since I like them better than the HE400i, HD650 and M1060 as an all around headphone.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #6,477 of 6,486
If anyone is interested the EL-8 are on sale for $339 from Audeze

Did the $339 price include the EL-8 Titanium before it sold out?

Sorry David. Just noticed I replied to the wrong post. I was responding to Michael SD. Hi. No Titanium is not discounted and is not B Stock. I just checked Audeze's website. It is full price. I see it is out of stock though. It maybe getting phased out like the regular open and closed EL8, Just not currently on sale.

Take care

Riley

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #6,478 of 6,486
I got my EL8 Ti replacement a few minutes ago. So far the connectors seem much, much tighter and the fit is a bit tighter on my head in a good way. The sound is a bit different than I remember, but I will refrain from making absolute statement about it. The treble seems a tad tizzy and harsh, but maybe it will improve with use. i don't typically believe in burn in, but it could help. I don't mean to start a whole conversation about it. That is all I will say on that specific subject. My replacements were brand new and had that new headphone smell. They came sealed in box with no blemishes or scratches, dings, dents, or any other damage. Thanks to Audeze and jaren for their great customer service. They also did their best to get me a brand new pair and not a B-Stock or refurbished. I got back a brand new set. Life's good.

Cheers

Riley

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #6,479 of 6,486
I got my EL8 Ti replacement a few minutes ago. So far the connectors seem much, much tighter and the fit is a bit tighter on my head in a good way. The sound is a bit different than I remember, but I will refrain from making absolute statement about it. The treble seems a tad tizzy and harsh, but maybe it will improve with use. i don't typically believe in burn in, but it could help. I don't mean to start a whole conversation about it. That is all I will say on that specific subject. My replacements were brand new and had that new headphone smell. They came sealed in box with no blemishes or scratches, dings, dents, or any other damage. Thanks to Audeze and jaren for their great customer service. They also did their best to get me a brand new pair and not a B-Stock or refurbished. I got back a brand new set. Life's good.

Cheers

Riley
I'm like you and don't believe in "burn-in" but my EL-8 made me a little more open to the idea that the sound can change with use, in my case it was 200+ hours before my EL-8 settled into how it sounds today.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #6,480 of 6,486
When I first heard my EL-8 Titanium, I thought they sounded magical. However, I started reading all the reviews about them afterwards and it colored my opinion quite a bit. All of the professional reviews are scathingly negative. I wish it didn’t but that does affect my enjoyment of the headphones. Not even sure that there are frequency measurements of the EL-8 Titanium specifically but I’d imagine they measure very well with the Cipher. The EL-8 Ti does sound glorious with Tidal/lossless files.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back