Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jul 24, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #6,451 of 6,486
Update my EL8 don't seem to cut out often and most times when I turn my head they are fine and dandy. Putting moderate pressure on the any part of the earcups or the cable connectors makes the sound become muffled and quiter, but not completely cut out. I think I will just keep using them and see if it becomes a problem. Can anybody please recommend a solid case for my EL8? I don't like the looks of the Audeze one nor do I feel so chipper about the reviews about their EL8 getting scratched in it. I am willing to pay roughly $50.00. I will pay more for a really high quality one and if it would fit a dap and some smal stuff like that in it that would be aces. I just got through listening to the Qemists Jungle ft Hacktivist Zardonic Mix and I am floored by the incredible bass quality these bad boys put out. The impact and quality is sublime.

Thank you and sorry folks

Riley

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #6,452 of 6,486
Gonna cut in here... Just picked up a set of EL-8O store demos for less than half retail. I'm mostly a dynamic driver kind of guy. Tried the 400i for a couple of weeks as my introduction into PM headphones and sold them pretty quickly. Found them thin and cold for my tastes and just chalked it up to preferring dynamics. The EL-8O is none of these things. Really happy I gave PM's another go, bass is really well represented and far faster than the dynamics I own. Bought them for metal and progressive metal and they haven't disappointed so far, but I am only a day in.

Not sure I'd really call these "easy" to drive though. Sits about 1 o'clock on my Fulla 2 and full volume on my iPhone 6s. If its a quiet recording, iPhone can't put out by itself. Does NOT sound fantastic from a Valhalla 2 if any one was wondering. The rule of thumb that PM's and OTL amps don't mix holds true.

My only real gripe is the cable (seems I'm not alone either). I'd prefer something with a ¼ inch termination and bit of a heftier cable. If anyone has found a decent replacement cable, or willing to build one for some cash, lemme know.

Beyond that I've found little to not like about these cans so far, and the fact that they do sound so good from a fairly basic inexpensive amp is all the better. Clamp is similar to the HD600, but certainly a heavier can. Weight has yet to cause any comfort issues though. So far doing a very good job of filling in the gap between my 600's and T1's

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,453 of 6,486
Gonna cut in here... Just picked up a set of EL-8O store demos for less than half retail. I'm mostly a dynamic driver kind of guy. Tried the 400i for a couple of weeks as my introduction into PM headphones and sold them pretty quickly. Found them thin and cold for my tastes and just chalked it up to preferring dynamics. The EL-8O is none of these things. Really happy I gave PM's another go, bass is really well represented and far faster than the dynamics I own. Bought them for metal and progressive metal and they haven't disappointed so far, but I am only a day in.

Not sure I'd really call these "easy" to drive though. Sits about 1 o'clock on my Fulla 2 and full volume on my iPhone 6s. If its a quiet recording, iPhone can't put out by itself. Does NOT sound fantastic from a Valhalla 2 if any one was wondering. The rule of thumb that PM's and OTL amps don't mix holds true.

My only real gripe is the cable (seems I'm not alone either). I'd prefer something with a ¼ inch termination and bit of a heftier cable. If anyone has found a decent replacement cable, or willing to build one for some cash, lemme know.

Beyond that I've found little to not like about these cans so far, and the fact that they do sound so good from a fairly basic inexpensive amp is all the better. Clamp is similar to the HD600, but certainly a heavier can. Weight has yet to cause any comfort issues though. So far doing a very good job of filling in the gap between my 600's and T1's
Agree that the stock cable is not the greatest. I did build a cable using connectors that were donated to me by @WayTooCrazy:
EL8-Cable-5 completed-2.jpg

I hope your impression of the HE400i was not just based on the Fulla2/Valhalla2 as amps since I don't find the HE400i thin and cold sounding but this is using headphone output of UD-301 or Ember to drive them, also my HE400i is an older SMC / back plate version so this might be another reason for my different impression.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #6,454 of 6,486
Agree that the stock cable is not the greatest. I did build a cable using connectors that were donated to me by @WayTooCrazy:

I hope your impression of the HE400i was not just based on the Fulla2/Valhalla2 as amps since I don't find the HE400i thin and cold sounding but this is using headphone output of UD-301 or Ember to drive them, also my HE400i is an older SMC / back plate version so this might be another reason for my different impression.

Nice work on the cable. Feel like being commissioned to make another? :grin:
Valid point on the 400i. I had the Garage Polaris at the time for the 400i's, and the 400i's were the new 2.5mm connector version. The Polaris had more than enough juice to power the 400i's and was a reasonably warm SS amp. Picked it up specifically for trying out some different cans that don't do well with the Valhalla, but it didn't do well with sensitive IEM's so it had to go. I think more than anything we're talking my personal taste over any short comings of the 400i. I find the EL-8 to be a much warmer than the 400i in its sound sig and that tends to be my preference. Plus, all the Hifiman cans I've tried (400i and 560) my ears touch the drivers which drives me absolutely nuts. That alone is a deal breaker.

Concerning amps, in the market for a decent SS amp with pre outs that pairs really well with the EL-8. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to avoid hybrids, Valhalla 2 covers my tube needs.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #6,455 of 6,486
Nice work on the cable. Feel like being commissioned to make another? :grin:
Valid point on the 400i. I had the Garage Polaris at the time for the 400i's, and the 400i's were the new 2.5mm connector version. The Polaris had more than enough juice to power the 400i's and was a reasonably warm SS amp. Picked it up specifically for trying out some different cans that don't do well with the Valhalla, but it didn't do well with sensitive IEM's so it had to go. I think more than anything we're talking my personal taste over any short comings of the 400i. I find the EL-8 to be a much warmer than the 400i in its sound sig and that tends to be my preference. Plus, all the Hifiman cans I've tried (400i and 560) my ears touch the drivers which drives me absolutely nuts. That alone is a deal breaker.

Concerning amps, in the market for a decent SS amp with pre outs that pairs really well with the EL-8. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to avoid hybrids, Valhalla 2 covers my tube needs.

I can build another cable but there are only 5 places that sells after market connectors IIRC and they are $45+shipping IIRC. The connectors that I got (free from WaytoCrazy) had to be custom fitted with the shells of a HD600/650 connector to cover them so it was a PITA to work with. I can give you the list of dealers that sell the connectors/build cables if you want try and source a new cable from them but am open to build one for you also.

The Polaris was a great sounding amp to me but I can see having problem with IEM's (which I don't use) and agree that its on the warmer side. Also agree that the EL8 is warmer than the HE400i but not by much in my case since my EL8 are one of the originals from 2014 and my HE400i is also the older SMC / back plate one. I guess I'm lucky that my ears don't touch the drivers with any Hifiman headphone but I see your point that it would be a deal breaker to some like your self.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #6,456 of 6,486
Hi
So I purchased some EL-8s on impulse on the used market and I haven't received them yet before doing a lot of research to find there is a new version the one I have on the way are version 1.
My worries are that I can't really find a good review I like to listen to electronic dance hip hop rap etc and I'm just worried that they will have no bass impact etc and sound worse than my oppo pm-3.
Could anyone give me some idea what to expect with these genres of music please.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #6,457 of 6,486
Hi
So I purchased some EL-8s on impulse on the used market and I haven't received them yet before doing a lot of research to find there is a new version the one I have on the way are version 1.
My worries are that I can't really find a good review I like to listen to electronic dance hip hop rap etc and I'm just worried that they will have no bass impact etc and sound worse than my oppo pm-3.
Could anyone give me some idea what to expect with these genres of music please.

Thanks
I think its the luck of the draw with the first version of the EL-8 and its the only headphone that I ever noticed any burn-in which changed the sound. Mine are neutral or very slightly warm, bass is there if the track has it but its not as deep and full as my TH-600 or HE560 and compared to my LCD-2f its has more mid bass than sub-bass. I don't listen to much EDM and don't listen to any hip hop or rap so its hard to say if they will have enough bass to satisfy you but for me there is more than enough bass. I also have some attenuation rings in the ear pads which makes the bass a little more full sounding so that is another option you have to tune the bass.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #6,458 of 6,486
I'm digging the Audeze/Roon integration via the PHA-3 for my EL-8 OB. Nicely done!

I have the balance cable coming this week used in conjunction with the PHA-3 and I'm curious how going balance will improve the sound further.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #6,459 of 6,486
Been enjoying my EL-8Os for a while now, but recently they cut to static (white noise) randomly and at unpredictable intervals. FYI running TIDAL on my iMac through a Mojo. Oddly, after it goes to static if I stop the song and play it again, the music will always return and only sometimes does it go back into static.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.
x

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,460 of 6,486
Been enjoying my EL-8Os for a while now, but recently they cut to static (white noise) randomly and at unpredictable intervals. FYI running TIDAL on my iMac through a Mojo. Oddly, after it goes to static if I stop the song and play it again, the music will always return and only sometimes does it go back into static.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks in advance.
x
Does it happen only with the EL8 or with other headphones as well? You might also want to try to isolate the problem by removing the Mojo and connecting the EL8 directly to your iMac.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #6,461 of 6,486
Does it happen only with the EL8 or with other headphones as well? You might also want to try to isolate the problem by removing the Mojo and connecting the EL8 directly to your iMac.

Thanks for the reply David. No it is just with the EL-8s. No problems with other headphones.

I will try them directly into my iMac and my iPhone tonight and report.

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #6,464 of 6,486
I will be sending my EL8 Ti off for warranty tomorrow. The earpads came unstuck from the cups and will not stay on also the connectors on the cables have issue. They randomly fall out of the socket in the headphone. Not always, just on occassion and it is annoying. I talked to Jaren at Audeze and he thought it could be an old stock EL8 Ti.

Regards

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back