Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 11, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,306 of 6,486
Mike, a controversial can, but an easy too drive one that I like quite a bit, how about the EL-8 versus the Grado PS500e? It has become my "away from the desk" HP of choice, is very easy to drive, but scales well and sounds quite good on my desktop setup.

Thanks, hope you finally got some sleep!

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,307 of 6,486

Always work from entry to summit when comparing audio equipment. Otherwise everything just sounds worse rather than each sounding better than the last.

Sarcastic remark redacted pending upcoming postal transaction.

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,308 of 6,486
Jan 11, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,309 of 6,486
can anyone please please try these with the lambert play it by ear amp? .. im planning to pick the el 8 by june/july and will have the amp much before them... so if anyone can give their views on the combo. it would be great!! thanks 

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #1,310 of 6,486
The T90s are probably the closest match to the EL-8s at the price point. The T90 is more of a critics headphone than the EL-8, but I think the levels of detail are fairly similar. The soundsignatures are both approaching neutral but from opposite ends, the T90 being aggressive and treble tilted, with the EL8 being relaxed and bass-leaning.

Does it really sound relaxed and bass-leaning? That's the sound I want but from the impressions of others I got the impression that it was bright, lean and aggressive sounding (=terrible sound signature for me).

Hands down the brightest headphone I have had. The bass, is fairly light but it turns into a whole different hp with eq and can sound decent. No eq no go. I doubt this el8 is anywhere close

Jan 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,311 of 6,486
  can anyone please please try these with the lambert play it by ear amp? .. im planning to pick the el 8 by june/july and will have the amp much before them... so if anyone can give their views on the combo. it would be great!! thanks 

Aside from a few select units these weren't projected to ship until May during the IGG campaign. I doubt anyone will be able to pair an amp that isn't available with a pair of headphones only really shown at CES. You'll want to ask again after both are readily available and people have them together, some time in May.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,312 of 6,486
they are already being shipped. a few people in singapore already got theirs and im planning to order one by today/tomorrow ... and i think  @mikemercer tried the XC/Mad Dogs and Audio Technica  with the lambert at canjam - so if he still has the demo unit it would be great  if he could try out the el8 with the amp aswell. price wise it would be a really good bang for the buck combo under 1k ... and hopefully my first audeze's  haha 

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,313 of 6,486
  I thought those things about the 400i but I assumed it was because I'd just come from the HE-1000 and then HE-560.  Man, did I do THAT in the wrong order!  lol

Nice the HE-560 are the headphone I want for my next purchase. I thought the EL-8 might compete with them before I read all of the impressions and comparisons from the show floor. HE-560 are currently $695 open-box on razerdogaudio. How's the EL-8 compared to the HE-560? I doubt they stand any chance at all just from more than 1 person saying they have a sound quality on par with 400i but thought I'd ask.

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #1,314 of 6,486
Not back to back, but I've heard the 2s and 3s on a few systems and always came away with a similar feeling that they were just too neutral for me. They're obviously great cans, some of the best in the world and there's no doubting that, but just a bit too "HiFi" and emphasizing detail and accuracy for my ear taste. These new ones sound a bit more fun to my ears, retaining the really impressive cohesiveness despite also having very distinctive separation, the combination of which is one of the defining characteristics of the LCDs IMO, but they're just a bit more fun overall, the bass is a bit fuller with greater impact and body, while retaining impressive speed and accuracy, which I know not everyone enjoys but I sure do. I also feel that the midrange is more full and forward; it has that really impressive raw, live feeling that you get more often from headphones from Shure, whereas I have always found the LCDs to be a bit more clinical and tonally balanced in this regard. I would say the EL-8 sound is more beautiful and immersive, whereas the LCDs sound is still the king of technical perfection.

The true lovers of ultimate detail and perfect technicality among us will likely still opt for the LCDs, but the EL-8s are a cheaper, more "fun" alternative that suits me better for casual listening, and may appeal to a wider range of people than the LCDs. It's still an intensely detailed, highly accurate headphone, but I'd say it's a slightly more fun take on accuracy. Don't get me wrong, it's still very obviously an Audeze headphone and they have by no means stopped so low as to appeal to mass market tastes (thank god), but with the LE-8 they seem interested in capturing the attention of those of us more interested in casual listening and those who like the "feel" of good audio quality rather than those who obsess over the tiniest imperfections in tonal balance and perfect accuracy; the latter are who the LCD series have been designed for.

Are you referring to the LCD 2/3 with Fazor versions? o_O
I Own the LCD2.2 and its anything but neutral!

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,315 of 6,486
Psyched you mentioned the TH600 - I'm trying to get my hands on a pair for the EL-8 review for comparison. I thought of that - is it still a current model??
My buddy says he has a pair but might've lent them out - we'll see...

Just know I compared the EL-8 to the Beyerdynamic T51is because I had them with me in Vegas! Same with the MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro.
But - I'll be using the Alpha Prime for comparison at home, as well as others of course.

ANYBODY else:

Other headphones you'd like to see comparatively?

I have a nice collection - but also have access to a local hi-fi shop (where I worked for a bit years ago).
I set up the personal audio section, and know the cans there as well. 

Just wondering  - as I'm psyched to tackle the full review after I get more familiar with the EL-8 on my reference systems!!
Dolby headphone? Nope!
ALWAYS down to try something new!!

I am looking to upgrade from my PSB headphones to either the EL-8 (closed) or the Alpha Prime's.

Could you please compare those. I really like the ballanced sound of the PSB's with deep/tight bass. Just looking for closed cans that sound better.

Thank you.
-Jess

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,316 of 6,486
On another site Tyll described the closed EL-8 as too bright and the open version as bass light and strident. However, he said Audeze was still refining the tuning. He also said he was disappointed with the Audioquest Nighthawk. Was very impressed with the new HiFiMan and the Enigma Acoustics Darma hybrid headphone. And Pass Labs has a headphone amp on the way.

Jan 11, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,318 of 6,486
When is the Audeze Z coming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back