Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Dec 10, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #106 of 325
Pretty damn happy with what I have now. A source upgrade and a couple of other things (such as a pair of Adam Artist 3 active speakers) has pushed everything over into constant enjoyment when I listen now.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #107 of 325
Finally got wasapi to work... Feel like I've just upgraded, sounds better and its free!

Thats the icing on the cake for my currents set ups. Very happy for now.  

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #108 of 325
I've always watched this thread with interest because I like to see where people fall when they get satisfied with their rig.  Well, I just realized that today is my 4 month anniversary with the same chain, which is basically an eternity for me since I started this journey looking for better headphones for my iphone and probably most of the community as well.  I'm surprised it's been this long, and I have ZERO interest to change anything any time soon.  The chain for me is ALAC (16 and 24 bit) -> Hackintosh -> iTunes/Bitperfect -> Anedio D1/D2 USB -> Headamp KGSS -> Stax SR-007 MK1.

I am also perfectly content with my portable setup, which after realizing that chasing minor incremental improvement did not really increase my enjoyment (and served to annoy me with extra boxes and interconnects), I stripped down to ALAC -> iPhone -> JH Audio JH13.

I can safely say that I don't think I'll be changing either rig for some time now.  The only exception I can think of is if Stax develops a new flagship closed model, but I doubt I'll be alive to see that day.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #109 of 325
I've got my Cavalli Liquid Fire+W4S DAC2+LCD2.2's  Nirvana baby!!  I do want to get LCD3's though to make it Nirvana +1

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #110 of 325
It happened by accident. I picked up a pair of HD650s to compliment HD800s. They pair very well. I expected the HD800s to see the majority of the headtime and only use the 650s for poorly recorded music and certain bands. I paired the 650s with a Bottlehead Crack, after 3-4 months I noticed they were still receiving most of the headtime. Recently I received Thunderpants and spent 3 days listening to Electronica and watching Tron Legacy. When the new toy syndrome wore off I went right back to the 650s on Crack and admitted I'm a addict. They don't have the best detail, soundstage, imaging, or measurements. When they are on my head I don't care, I just love the music.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #111 of 325
650's and the right amp are addictive!

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #112 of 325
Quote:
It happened by accident. I picked up a pair of HD650s to compliment HD800s. They pair very well. I expected the HD800s to see the majority of the headtime and only use the 650s for poorly recorded music and certain bands. I paired the 650s with a Bottlehead Crack, after 3-4 months I noticed they were still receiving most of the headtime. Recently I received Thunderpants and spent 3 days listening to Electronica and watching Tron Legacy. When the new toy syndrome wore off I went right back to the 650s on Crack and admitted I'm a addict. They don't have the best detail, soundstage, imaging, or measurements. When they are on my head I don't care, I just love the music.

That's awesome. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #113 of 325
Quote:

Great!

I certainly know what you mean - I too own both the HD800 & 650 and one doesn't exclude the other. They are complementary more than anything else.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #114 of 325
Quote:

Thats why I was happy with them for 6 years. When I used to listen to music instead of headphones ha

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #115 of 325
For audiophiles nirvana is a modifiable and quite changing state. It exists until you find a best nirvana...
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually a good nirvana could be a AN DAC w/ OTL + HD 800 or AN DAC w tubes and Stax SR-009 for example..

Tomorrow..???

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #116 of 325
Gear thrash on HF is more acute than any other audio-related board I've had any experience with. With the possible exception of photography, I cant think of another group of consumers who are as heavily targeted as Head-Fiers, given the 'niche within a niche' nature of the market. C'est la vie.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #117 of 325
^^

And your point is....
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #119 of 325
isn't that more of 'ignorance is bliss'?

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #120 of 325
That is based on the assumption that every 'upgrade' represents sufficient improvement to justify continually buying more kit. I simply reject the whole concept of an 'end-game rig' (which is what 'achieving nirvana implies to me) co-existing with ongoing participation on an internet forum dedicated to new product. None of the above is 'evil' - but it is delusional, IMO. I'm sure this thread wasnt intended to be quite so serious, but there is a sad little auditor inside me that feels the need to chime in from time to time - pretty much everyone here is a hopeless addict, and the first step is always acceptance.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back