Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #76 of 325
Quote:

I would have completely agreed with this comment, until recently. I'm a tube head through and through and wouldn't give up my SE 300B monoblocks in my main system for anything. However, my AMB Labs Beta 22 in my headphone rig has given me all the fantastic attributes of tube gear in spades with the added ability to drive the most difficult headphones with ease. I would have never believed that any SS amp could sound anything like this. Granted, this is allot more about synergy, the Beta seems to match very well with the magnetic planars, and your mileage may vary with something like the HD800.

Headphone nirvana, no way. That would mean we are at the end of the road, it's more about the journey than just a final destination.

Very interesting. Anyone else who have found holographic imaging on a SS amp?

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #77 of 325
How much is enough?  Just a little bit more.

Audio Nirvana lies in contentment with what one already has. 

I hasten to add, though, that I am a hypocrite. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #78 of 325
ME!

I'm rather happy with all my set-ups, portable, transportable, office and home.

No complaints!

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #79 of 325
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Sorry i took so long to get back. I went with a Sansa clip for now (but going to return it). I really like using my cell phone, because it's just one less thing to carry. That said, the sound quality is poop. However, the headphones are the weakest link and I got the hifiman RE-272. I'm a midrange kinda guy, so they suit me well and cover down on some of the shortcomings of my rezound. Eventually i'll get a great player and some custom fit IEMs, but for now, pausing and taking a call on then resuming my music, on the same device works for me. *that was what I missed. I could surf, manage my music, take a call, etc. and not have to remember my music source was still crowding my pockets. 

What i really want is a phone with really great sound quality for the music player and hardware... Oh, and kick-ass battery life... suggestions welcome. (as pdiddypler notes though, this isn't the best thread).

~j

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #80 of 325
Quote:
I still have the iHP 120 & 140.  PM if you are interested.  However, I would look into newer DAPs such as Sony Walkman players with "S-master Pro MX" digital amplifier technology.  These players(A, Z, and F series) offer much better sound via headphones out than any iPod or the Cowon players that I've tried.  The old iRiver has a warmer but also looser sound than most iPod, but the mentioned walkman players are capable of explosive dynamics with pretty neutral sounding signature.  I personally own the the A867 & Z1070 and couldn't be more happy with them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. Sorry i took so long to get back. I went with a Sansa clip for now (but going to return it). I really like using my cell phone, because it's just one less thing to carry. That said, the sound quality is poop. However, the headphones are the weakest link and I got the hifiman RE-272. I'm a midrange kinda guy, so they suit me well and cover down on some of the shortcomings of my rezound. Eventually i'll get a great player and some custom fit IEMs, but for now, pausing and taking a call on then resuming my music, on the same device works for me. *that was what I missed. I could surf, manage my music, take a call, etc. and not have to remember my music source was still crowding my pockets. 

What i really want is a phone with really great sound quality for the music player and hardware... Oh, and kick-ass battery life... suggestions welcome. (as pdiddypler notes though, this isn't the best thread).

~j

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #81 of 325
If not already, I think I'm pretty close. The Realiser A8 + entry-level STAX is pretty darn good. I've wanted something like this for years, and finally somebody made it.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #82 of 325
Price does not always translate into audio nirvana.
My go-to's are as follows:
Electrostatic - HE60 (Baby Orpheus)/HeadAmp KGSS
Orthodynamic - LCD 2(v1)/Schit LYR (pending)
Dynamic - HD 800/HeadRoom Maxed Out Home Amplifier

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #83 of 325
I won't upgrade anymore, I'll keep amp and dac until they die and in the case of Violectric it's going to be a loooooooong time. 

Headphone wise I am thinking about luxury in the form of a new hifiman (2013?) HE-700 or something like that to add to my HD800, just because planar sound is special, especially the bass. Other than that I am set. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #84 of 325
I have an Orpheus now... don't know if its my nirvana, cause there's some cans I havent listened to yet. Mainly the 009 and the original Omega.

But Orpheus is f.. good!!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #86 of 325
Current nirvana: LCD-2 rev.2 (with an occasional eq-ing to make it a bit brighter for some kinds of music).

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #87 of 325
Updating: now I own a SR-Omega and a 009.

The 009 is my headphone nirvana. It does everything perfect to me.

Anxiously waiting for a BHSE now.

P.S.: I still need to hear the 007 mkI.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #89 of 325
I have found my. A short jorney that doesnt need any more upgrades.

This is my upgrade list: 

1. CAL = Nice sound, wants more. -1 month
2. Nuforce HDP + CAL = No real change, little sweeter midrange. -2 weeks
3. Nuforce HDP + DT990 = Liked this alot but needed - 2-4DB in the 8khz region. 8-9 months.  
4. Musical Fidelity M1 HPA + Nuforce HDP (as dac) + DT990. Actually more treble spike, but with some thighter sound. 1 month.
5. Musical Fidelity M1 HPA + MF Vdac II + HD650.Really good. Relief from treble spikes. 7-8 months.
5. Musical Fidelity M1 HPA + M1 DAC + HD650 Maked the HD 650 less dull sounding, but i was craving for a little bit more upper mid-highs. 1 month.

7. MF M1 HPA + M1 DAC + HD 600. Audio nirvana. Neutral Sound. HD 600 makes up for everything HD 650 did wrong. It making me just lissen to music, and it playes music like it supposed to sound. I dont find any reason to imrpove the sound cause I really dont know what to imrpove. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #90 of 325
Lol.   This thread started 4 months ago, and some that posted "totally satisfied with XX" now have vastly different cans in their rigs.

As for finding any kind of nirvana, there's a saying that goes "the only peace you find on the tops of mountains is that which you bring with you."  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back