Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Dec 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #92 of 325
to my ears 009 is far superior than he90. And I'm not using the best amplification yet.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #95 of 325
Yep, I'm there. (Gear in my profile.) At least until better headphones come on the scene which they inevitably will. I'm not much of a stat person so I don't know if I'll ever go down that road (the only ones that I really enjoyed were the SR-Omega but were much too loose on the head and from what I was told are quite rare; they had superb imaging though.)

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #96 of 325
Quote:
Lol.   This thread started 4 months ago, and some that posted "totally satisfied with XX" now have vastly different cans in their rigs.

As for finding any kind of nirvana, there's a saying that goes "the only peace you find on the tops of mountains is that which you bring with you."  

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself" – Galileo

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #98 of 325
Quote:
to my ears 009 is far superior than he90. And I'm not using the best amplification yet.

While I've yet to hear the 009's I have heard the Orpheus system many times and currently own an Aristaeus/HE90 rig and to my ears it mates much better with the HE90's than the HEV90 does. If you have the resources I recommend trying out the Aristaeus with upgraded tubes. It's helped me appreciate the strengths of the HE90's all the more. Not sure if I'll ever reach audio Nirvana but I am satisfied with what I have at the moment, although, I am looking forward to hearing the 009's and the next Sennheiser electrostat offering. Gary

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #99 of 325
I have. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #100 of 325
Quote:
I'm just trying to find a pair of phones which will be a good aesthetic match for my amp. 

(its the diesel model, in case you were wondering)

Love the photo...LOL..are those imported German Ge's on top?

I may have found a pair for you,....An old pair of Porta-Pros-------used....,missing one ear cushion
Free shipping

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #101 of 325
I have, but it wouldn't help anybody because it wound up being a strange DIY odyssey and currently a one-off.

Stax 507 with home replaced mylar, now used with normal bias, Srpitzer mod Stax SRD 7 transformer box with home replaced Dyna Z565 new production transformers, Hogan amplifier, two unit, one unit tube rectified 6sn7 preamp connecting to 26/300b DHT tube rectified amplifier, probably one of just half a dozen such made by the late amp hobbyist.  All butt ugly, but transcendant sound, better than anything I heard at last Headphone show.

Sound is utterly huge, fast,  transparent, detailed, luxurious with bass that rivals my dynamic ultrasone Ed8.

Second honors:  Manley 300b with Stax 7SB and Lambda original normal bias.

Third honors: Ultrasone Ed8 with either Manley 300b or Yamaha C70 solid state vintage preamp.  Different flavors, both great. Don't know why more dynamic headphone fans don't use the Yamaha C70, cheap and really wonderful headphone amp.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #102 of 325
I have, in fact i was in audio nirvana with my iPhone earbuds. I was happy and loving all my songs, until I discovered HF... like seriously. So thank you all very much for changing my world. I'm just not sure if I should celebrate or cry.. Lol

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #103 of 325
Quote:
I have, in fact i was in audio nirvana with my iPhone earbuds. I was happy and loving all my songs, until I discovered HF... like seriously. So thank you all very much for changing my world. I'm just not sure if I should celebrate or cry.. Lol

your ears should celebrate while your wallet should cry lol

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #104 of 325
Yep.

Then I lost it & have been searching for it since.

It was probably the late 1980s, and I was somewhere between 18 and 22. I think it was the original Sony Discman and the accompanying cans at Paul & Tony's Stereo near campus in State College, Pennsylvania. I heard Papa Doo Run Run's "Good Vibrations" off the Telarc sampler...the first drum hit blew me away, and I listened to it over and over. Paul & Tony were very accommodating.

Priorities...I never bought it.

I've owned a lot of players, amps, and headphones since, but have yet to find a headphone playback chain that handles that drum hit as well as that particularly synergistic combination.

I have a few combinations here, though, that I still need to try. Ah, I didn't have anything else planned for today, did I?

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #105 of 325
Current Nirvana....MBPro>Lossless files>Amarra>Cambridge Dac Magic Plus>Decware CSP2+>Toxic Cables Silver Poison>HD650......Working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back