Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Sep 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #316 of 325
With $720 what would you buy ? 
biggrin.gif

I've highly consider the Alpha Dog and the Zmf x Vibro as I've only owned closed planar 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #317 of 325
Before you have heard a good headphone through a properly calibrated Smyth Realiser I doubt you know what Nirvana through a headphone is, and I don't care if you have a SR-009 driven by a T2 or an Abyss driven by a LAu, unless you prefer the more between your ear type sound found in headphone as a result of their limitations.
It's a total game changer compared to the minute differences between a good amp and a brilliant amp.   

Sep 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #318 of 325
  Before you have heard a good headphone through a properly calibrated Smyth Realiser I doubt you know what Nirvana through a headphone is, and I don't care if you have a SR-009 driven by a T2 or an Abyss driven by a LAu, unless you prefer the more between your ear type sound found in headphone as a result of their limitations.
It's a total game changer compared to the minute differences between a good amp and a brilliant amp.   

I tried it in a kgsshv and 007mk1 setup. Interesting, but that's it :p

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #320 of 325
  We all have different preferences. What kind of setup was it calibrated to and in what way was it only "interesting"? 
tongue.gif

Well, not sure about the settings as it wasn't mine, I only did the ear impression thingy.
Hmm.. like kind of greatly improved dolby headphone? I would prefer phonitor kind of crossfeed, even plain stereo on headphone is fine to me though.

Sep 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #321 of 325

Well, not sure about the settings as it wasn't mine, I only did the ear impression thingy.
Hmm.. like kind of greatly improved dolby headphone? I would prefer phonitor kind of crossfeed, even plain stereo on headphone is fine to me though.

If you get the PRIR perfect and calibrated with a world class calibrated listening room the headphones literally melt away on your head and you are hearing a world class speaker system not the headphones on your head. It's pretty amazing what that box can do. 
If you don't get it setup right it can sound dodgy. Mic placement in the ear is crucial. No comparison at all to dolby. The only thing I've tried that is any good in comparison is TB Isone, at least with HD800.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #322 of 325
I found my headphone nirvana several times. In general, I felt that I could be completely happy with Stax SR-003 (backed with an analogue source, back then it was a Museatex Bitstream with upgrades); Stax Omega 2 (with an an upgraded Museatex Idat-44 Mobile and much improved SRM-727 amp); Smeggy Tamboti Thunderpants (while another thunderpants he made was very bad sounding, so there is too much variability); SR-X Mk3 Pro (only with said Bitstream; with other sources, it showed too many of its flaws); I have heard the SR-009 and it's another end of all phone.
Stax Lambda with a beefy, analogue source are also an end of all headphone.
Lambda Nova Signature aren't an end of all headphones: too low resolution compared to the other Stax... too blurry.

They are all different price tags. The SR-003 has its limits in deep bass and comfort, but what it does is still magical and so addictive, so right. It could have easily ended all for me. It can still do that.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #324 of 325
Based on what I've listened to and auditioned, it would be the SR-009 for me (with the BHSE).  So yes, I won't be completely satisfied until I get one.  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back