Anyone found their headphone nirvana yet?
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #286 of 325
Quote:
I see the big next step in audio performance coming from tailoring advanced DSP software for specific headphones and sources, and it's already here.
For example there is a company here in Sweden called Dirac who corrects some of the flaws in impulse and frequency response of the EarBuds and EarPods as well as compensating for the DAC and head out of the iPhone and iPad and the result is pretty damn impressive.  It takes a pretty powerful processor to do this so it hasn't been a possibility with portable sources till the recently.
I'm confident this will be the big next thing with lower and mid priced headphones as these benefit more from the corrections. Not sure the SR-009 can benefit that much from impulse or frequency correction but you will be able to customize the sound much better than with DACs and amps. Like going from 95% to 99% of personally optimal sound compared to going from 20% to 70% with lower sets.

I can also see future software creating a perfectly natural binaural experience out of average stereo recordings.
I'm experimenting myself with different DSPs combining crossfeeds and soundstage and imaging enhancers, and they do a pretty decent job but are always in some way degrading the sound or not being fully realistic. It's still worth it with as some recording really go from in your head to fully out of your head, but there is big room for improvement for sure.

I've been using the Dirac app since it came out and use it 100% of the time when earpods are connected :)

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #287 of 325
Quote:
I see the big next step in audio performance coming from tailoring advanced DSP software for specific headphones and sources, and it's already here.
For example there is a company here in Sweden called Dirac who corrects some of the flaws in impulse and frequency response of the EarBuds and EarPods as well as compensating for the DAC and head out of the iPhone and iPad and the result is pretty damn impressive.  It takes a pretty powerful processor to do this so it hasn't been a possibility with portable sources till the recently.
I'm confident this will be the big next thing with lower and mid priced headphones as these benefit more from the corrections. Not sure the SR-009 can benefit that much from impulse or frequency correction but you will be able to customize the sound much better than with DACs and amps. Like going from 95% to 99% of personally optimal sound compared to going from 20% to 70% with lower sets.

I can also see future software creating a perfectly natural binaural experience out of average stereo recordings.
I'm experimenting myself with different DSPs combining crossfeeds and soundstage and imaging enhancers, and they do a pretty decent job but are always in some way degrading the sound or not being fully realistic. It's still worth it with as some recording really go from in your head to fully out of your head, but there is big room for improvement for sure.

I am intrigued by some of the Cross Feed Circuits I've been reading about lately. The one in the Grace m903 supposedly sounds pretty decent. It even adds a little Bass boost to compensate for perceived loss of Bass response etc. I just ordered one of their Amps with it, so I guess we'll see. Seems like it might be cool for certain types of listening. 
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #288 of 325
LCD-2.2 and HE-400 really make me happy. They are great complementary headphones. I really don't need anything more...although I still have a tempation to try out HD800...but maybe I shouldn't...too much money in relation to the benefit.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #289 of 325
Quote:
LCD-2.2 and HE-400 really make me happy. They are great complementary headphones. I really don't need anything more...although I still have a tempation to try out HD800...but maybe I shouldn't...too much money in relation to the benefit.

I'm sure you will be upgrading soon. 
size]

As for me, I'm fully content with what I have (and few more stuff on the way should the time come). Next level of upgrades would be speakers.

Jun 29, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #290 of 325
Quote:
Guys,
Feel sorry for the UK peeps like me....we can't even use HDTracks, due to copyright....i tried and they told me so!
I'm a huge Indie and alternative fan also...Elliot Smith, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, etc and it seems to be a 24bit desert out there......I'm more often reduced to ripping my own cd's at 16bit and just getting on with it  
confused_face.gif

So....any other 24bit download source recommendations, gratefully received

It sounds as though I experience the same frustration with LinnRecords when, for some selections, I see "This item not available in the United States."  Aarghhh!  

As for other 24-bit sources, have you ever looked into Bowers and Wilkins Society of Sound?  They have some 24-bit selections in their catalog, but you might not like the music that they offer (mostly classical and not a lot of rock).  Also, as I recall, the 24-bit selections max out at 48.1 khz.  So... it's not exactly high-def.  

I hope that one day we audiophiles will have more options in the music marketplace!  It is truly lamentable!  

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #291 of 325
Not yet.
I am 16 now , now I have the 650 with the STX also the zx700 (I love it) but Nirvana ? Nah (Previously owned ESP 950 and v6 , coming up ma900) :D
My dad has decided to give me 2000-2500$ to spend on audio equipment on my 18th .
So many options but none pleasing yet , two more years .... so much can change , perhaps a closed LCD will be next .
Best way to spend you 18th Birthday :D

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #292 of 325
Meridian DAC, Stax SR507 electrostatic headphone and 006TS amp, and I'm in Nirvana.

May 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #293 of 325
I don't know if it's an actual Nirvana but I'm very pleased with the rig I've been using for the last 12 months. It's no high-end by any means (Stax 600ltd, Stax507) but it has a good price-value ratio: anything 'higher-end' will be too expensive and hard to justify :)

Exactly. My Schiit stack and the LCD3s are superlative together and yes I know there is better to be had -but- start to look at the prices and have to then justify the extra maybe 5% better costs several thousand more to obtain and then is it really worth it? After all what I have now is so many times better than anything I have ever had before that it seems irresponsible to dump another 6 grand into it at this point in time when living just keeps getting more and more expensive. Would I like to get that PWD dac and a GS-X MkII? Of course, but is there a real issue with how my rig sounds now? Not one that I can really think of. Just got the USB upgrade on my Gungnir and the stack is just crystal clear no jitter at all and it's all paid for. Maybe someday but for now I am really happy with what I have and it will have to do. Not exactly slummin' either... So yeah at this point in time I at my end game I guess.

May 17, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #294 of 325
I have reached headphone nirvana with my HD800, not so sure about amp and dac nirvana however. Looking at getting a better amp, I think my dac (Uber Bifrost) is pretty good for the time being.

May 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #297 of 325
For a digital rig, I am happy with the Hilo. It's not sterile and not warm but presents what it receives. It will feed my speakers and headphones. I am set for audio until the industry introduces another format change to force us to buy another piece. The HE-6s are clear and clean with my speaker amps so this rig will offer personal listening when the M-L/Velodyne rig is not in use. Portable rig of ipod/ Xin macro 4 and Ety 4s/RS-1 takes care of my portable. The car has a factory setup that's the best I've had in a car since I was using a custom installed setup in the 80s.

Yes Dorthy, you can find happiness when you define it and choose to accept your choices. The hardest thing for compulsive hobbyists are defining "nirvana" for their own situation. They read everybody else's habits and get the itch. I'm good with my decisions.

May 21, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #298 of 325
Stax SR009 + DIY T2 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back