Android phones and USB DACs
May 25, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #9,496 of 9,526
May 25, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #9,497 of 9,526
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 26, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #9,498 of 9,526
Yes but I don't want to just start playback and let it run. Otherwise I would use that.
So, until I figure out a different USB to optical that actually works with the input on my Soundblaster X4, I will be partly using your idea (of a streaming service for PC), which will be Spotify instead of Tidal. Even though I'm limited to 320 kbps (Ogg) format there, it is far better than the SBC over Bluetooth that I mentioned earlier. And unlike Tidal, Spotify has a "connect" feature which lets me control it from the Spotify app on my phone (I'll try and post a screenshot of this later). Also I can have all my tracks downloaded (will be on the PC not my phone).

May 30, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #9,499 of 9,526
Screenshot_20220529-204009_Spotify.jpg

This is Spotify Connect playing Spotify on my computer, controlled from my phone. 320 kbps Ogg is pretty good, but absolutely I can hear the compression in the highs. Since I can't seem to find a USB-to-SP/DIF (optical) that works with my setup, I want to find a "Bluetooth receiver" device which outputs SP/DIF (optical) and supports codecs better than SBC (preferably LDAC, which my phone supports). Does anyone know of one? (Again, since Spotify no longer has a lossless option, I am wanting to play Tidal from my phone but routed through my computer.)

May 30, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #9,501 of 9,526
Screenshot_20220529-204009_Spotify.jpg
This is Spotify Connect playing Spotify on my computer, controlled from my phone. 320 kbps Ogg is pretty good, but absolutely I can hear the compression in the highs. Since I can't seem to find a USB-to-SP/DIF (optical) that works with my setup, I want to find a "Bluetooth receiver" device which outputs SP/DIF (optical) and supports codecs better than SBC (preferably LDAC, which my phone supports). Does anyone know of one? (Again, since Spotify no longer has a lossless option, I am wanting to play Tidal from my phone but routed through my computer.)
Exactly! That's what a lot of people don't realize. With less than CD quality, and lower data bluetooth codecs, AAC, APTX, SBC, etc. Where you can tell the difference the most is in the treble. Higher frequencies are ehat change the most, but most people pay attention to the mids and bass line, which is why they say thar don't really hear a difference between high level LDAC and AAC or APTX

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #9,502 of 9,526
Exactly! That's what a lot of people don't realize. With less than CD quality, and lower data bluetooth codecs, AAC, APTX, SBC, etc. Where you can tell the difference the most is in the treble. Higher frequencies are ehat change the most, but most people pay attention to the mids and bass line, which is why they say thar don't really hear a difference between high level LDAC and AAC or APTX
Agreed, and how well you can hear the difference is of course dependent upon your setup. I'm using the headphones that myself and some others consider to be the most transparent ever, the discontinued Sony MDR-V600, with a Schiit Magni amp and Modi Multibit DAC. I love the sound of this; also using two enhancements which is Windows Sonic for Headphones (found in the Properties dialog for the sound device) to help with the stereo imaging problem inherent to headphones, and a moderate bass boost and high-frequency attenuation using Equalizer APO.

Jun 2, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #9,503 of 9,526
This setup unfortunately cannot use any better codec than the Bluetooth SBC, due to the dongle not having support for any others, but I have heard that it isn't all that bad (if you're supplying it with TOTALLY UNCOMPRESSED audio as I will be doing using Tidal's "HiFi" setting, and the data rate is 328 - 345 kbps
I should follow-up here after having listened to this codec SBC: it's pretty bad.

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #9,504 of 9,526
Jun 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #9,505 of 9,526
Agreed, and how well you can hear the difference is of course dependent upon your setup. I'm using the headphones that myself and some others consider to be the most transparent ever, the discontinued Sony MDR-V600, with a Schiit Magni amp and Modi Multibit DAC. I love the sound of this; also using two enhancements which is Windows Sonic for Headphones (found in the Properties dialog for the sound device) to help with the stereo imaging problem inherent to headphones, and a moderate bass boost and high-frequency attenuation using Equalizer APO.
The V600? Who other than yourself considers these the most transparent earphones ever? Certainly not anyone at head-fi in its time 😅 (search up the MDR-VCRAP on this site and take a trip through memory lane 🙂)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #9,506 of 9,526
The V600? Who other than yourself considers these the most transparent earphones ever? Certainly not anyone at head-fi in its time 😅 (search up the MDR-VCRAP on this site and take a trip through memory lane 🙂)

Any other Sony headphones and I'd agree, but I have yet to hear headphones with as flat a response as the V600 (other than weak response at the very low-end). I am keeping an open-mind, however.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #9,507 of 9,526

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #9,508 of 9,526
Thank you; the "Pro" looks pretty great according to the website. I just ordered it on Amazon.
FiiO BTA30, or BTA30 Pro.
So, before you posted this reply I already did a search on Amazon and found a product which does what I was looking for, the auris bluMe Pro. But I went ahead and ordered the FiiO BTA30 Pro as well, after I read your post. Finally I have had the time to try them both out, starting with the FiiO. I got the FiiO to pair, but could not change the codec to a better one than aptX (not aptX HD). I tried changing the codec in both the "Bluetooth Scanner" app (which I highly recommend), and in the Developer Options in Android settings. However, at this time I did not yet know about a "switch" within the settings for the bluetooth device in the bluetooth connections menu where you can tap it to enable LDAC, so this may have been the problem, though I rather suspect that what I was tapping in the Developer Options would have done the same thing.

So I moved on to the more expensive bluMe, which unlike the BTA30 Pro is strictly a bluetooth receiving device (with SP/DIF outputs like the BTA30). This is when I discovered the aforementioned toggle "switch" within the Android bluetooth connection settings, and I switched it on. Then I did what I've always done before which is to switch the sound output back to "this phone", and use the "separate app sounds" menu within the Sounds settings within Android, in order to (attempt) to give Tidal exclusive access to the bluetooth output:
Screenshot_20220608-210423_One UI Home.jpg

Works perfectly according to the display on the bluMe, once I started playback in Tidal:
20220608_210438.jpg

I can also use the Bluetooth Settings app (available on Google Play) to change the LDAC sample rate (must stop playback first!):
Screenshot_20220608-210620_Bluetooth Scanner.jpg

Worked!
Screenshot_20220608-210730_Bluetooth Scanner.jpg

20220608_210655.jpg

Now, to check whether the optical output actually works with my SoundBlaster X4, but I have to move my operation out to my truck (semi truck sleeper cab which, unlike the hotel I am currently staying at, is my primary residence), because I have already mounted my X4 there. see update below

I have also changed my headphone amp from the Schiit Magni 3+ to the Magni Heresy (both cost $99). Why? I find that there is an ugly lack of transparency with the 3+ (similar to the very old HeadRoom Total AirHead amp I have used in the past) which causes me to be constantly tweaking the EQ settings and constantly lowering the volume. Based on the reviews I have read about the Heresy (and a comparison of the Heresy to the Magni 3+), there is a clear reason for me to have this perception, and I should be pleased with the Heresy, which one reviewer found to be indistinguishable from the Atom and Archel 2 Pro "I could not audibly discriminate between the Magni Heresy, Atom or Archel 2 Pro at all." and another reviewer found that it could be "an end-game amp for many people." ("I was recently talking to others that have tested the Heresy and the consensus seems to be that its better or at least on par with the THX amps which start at 3 times the asking price of the Heresy.")

Also a note about using the best headphone I've ever heard, yes laughably the Sony MDR-V600 (and I have listened to Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, and others). I love them so much that my current pair is one I recently purchased brand-new unopened on eBay for $600, due to the model being discontinued. I actually got a deal on this because the current brand-new unopened offerings are going for $800 - $900. Laugh all you want but despite being weak in the very low end (roughly 40 Hz and below), these headphones have an incredibly flat (and therefore natural-sounding) frequency response.

Update: I'm delighted. It's working perfectly (SoundBlaster X4 accepts the optical output of the bluMe, and I'm able to "listen" through the Windows stack, which is then output through my Schiit Modi Multibit DAC (and this "sound device" has the effect "Windows Sonic for Headphones" enabled which is far better than the harsh imaging you get with headphones). But why wouldn't I just run the Tidal Windows app on the laptop instead? The laptop is mounted (on a rubber suspension), and the bulk of my listening is done laying in bed. I want the playback from the Tidal app on my phone, and also using the app for the "organic" growth I am doing of my library. I have finally arrived at my solution, after much toil.
20220608_230822.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #9,509 of 9,526
Any other Sony headphones and I'd agree, but I have yet to hear headphones with as flat a response as the V600 (other than weak response at the very low-end). I am keeping an open-mind, however.
OK, turns out you're right. As my system has gotten much better, I have come to realize that a significant factor in my struggle with quick-onset listening fatigue is that the V600 in fact has way too much of a middle-lower end (lows, mid-lows, and even into middle-mids). I have ordered two new 'phones to try out; I'm guessing one of them will at least get me by for a while: Sennheiser HD 650* and Sony MDR-7506 (more likely the Sennheisers)...

* yes I am aware the HD 650s need an amp sufficient to drive 300-ohm; from what I have read the Schiit Magni Heresy I am using, which has a switchable gain control, should do the job nicely

Jul 21, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #9,510 of 9,526
OK, turns out you're right. As my system has gotten much better, I have come to realize that a significant factor in my struggle with quick-onset listening fatigue is that the V600 in fact has way too much of a middle-lower end (lows, mid-lows, and even into middle-mids). I have ordered two new 'phones to try out; I'm guessing one of them will at least get me by for a while: Sennheiser HD 650* and Sony MDR-7506 (more likely the Sennheisers)...

* yes I am aware the HD 650s need an amp sufficient to drive 300-ohm; from what I have read the Schiit Magni Heresy I am using, which has a switchable gain control, should do the job nicely
Excuse me, just a reminder that the Takstar HF 580 planars combined with the fantastic E1DA 9038d dongle are the best value for your money bar none. Anybody really serious about getting the perfect phone hifi should try them out IMO. Loud enough but won't damage your eardrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back