A request to all owners of an Headphonia amplifier
Apr 12, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #271 of 303
blink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #272 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does. If you close the door almost to the point before it seals, you'll see the light goes out. =T There's a little nub, when pushed in by the door, turns the light of.
icon10.gif

You're right, but I've heard from reputable sources that, once past that little nub, the light goes back on. Something to do with the color of your food. If left in the dark, food will lose its color and turn a uniform gray. The light keeps the gray at bay, maintaining the warm, bright colors that we've grown to love. Really.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #273 of 303
Why is an offer to buy back an amp a negative? Sounds like a potentially very costly offer....

As it seems like most of the design predated both amps (am I reading this right?), let's just wait until more real facts become public.

Will they? Have they (facts sufficiently known)? Several very experienced posters seem to have made up their minds on this.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #274 of 303
This thread is more than interesting and in my mind a shining example of what the internet and informational boards like this are all about. Many folks are poo pooing Scottie because they don't like what he's saying or because they feel that it doesn't apply but oh it does... As someone that has watched the furniture industry implode upon itself as each manufacturer races to source another's designs overseas and does so with an understanding that "that's just the way it is" I can tell you that his rants apply to design, copyright, business practice and economic reality. The uneducated consumer is voting with their dollar and the majority is indeed deciding that less expensive is king.

What we have here that doesn't exist in my industry is an open forum of knowledge where the consuming public (the average Head-fi reader or member) gets to witness first hand what the issues may actually be involved in their purchase choice. You can believe what you like about Mr. Meier's claims and decide for yourself how it will affect your purchasing decisions. There have been many intelligent posts about the impact that such decisions make in regards to the future of both men's companies and for further design in what is absolutely a very small niche market. So many are clamoring to leave it to the lawyers and to keep it under wraps, as someone living in Durham, NC (Duke Lacrosse Anyone?) I can tell you that isn't always the path of truth. We have been provided a unique opportunity to be presented the data available via the parties involved and we are able to make up our own mind on how to react to it. That, ladies and gentlemen is a gift of knowledge and a modicum of returned power to the informed individual. I would suggest using that gift wisely to educate yourself not only in business practice but in circuit design and make choices that you feel would help to create the type of community that you would like to be involved in here.

I reserve judgement on the claims until I understand more, but I can make informed decisions of support based on the positions taken and ideas exchanged here.

I have the feeling that nothing truly illegal has taken place, as for the rest, well that's up to you to decide.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #275 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammin72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is more than interesting and in my mind a shining example of what the internet and informational boards like this are all about. Many folks are poo pooing Scottie because they don't like what he's saying or because they feel that it doesn't apply but oh it does... As someone that has watched the furniture industry implode upon itself as each manufacturer races to source another's designs overseas and does so with an understanding that "that's just the way it is" I can tell you that his rants apply to design, copyright, business practice and economic reality. The uneducated consumer is voting with their dollar and the majority is indeed deciding that less expensive is king.

What we have here that doesn't exist in my industry is an open forum of knowledge where the consuming public (the average Head-fi reader or member) gets to witness first hand what the issues may actually be involved in their purchase choice. You can believe what you like about Mr. Meier's claims and decide for yourself how it will affect your purchasing decisions. There have been many intelligent posts about the impact that such decisions make in regards to the future of both men's companies and for further design in what is absolutely a very small niche market. So many are clamoring to leave it to the lawyers and to keep it under wraps, as someone living in Durham, NC (Duke Lacrosse Anyone?) I can tell you that isn't always the path of truth. We have been provided a unique opportunity to be presented the data available via the parties involved and we are able to make up our own mind on how to react to it. That, ladies and gentlemen is a gift of knowledge and a modicum of returned power to the informed individual. I would suggest using that gift wisely to educate yourself not only in business practice but in circuit design and make choices that you feel would help to create the type of community that you would like to be involved in here.

I reserve judgement on the claims until I understand more, but I can make informed decisions of support based on the positions taken and ideas exchanged here.

I have the feeling that nothing truly illegal has taken place, as for the rest, well that's up to you to decide.

Not sure if I've gotten all of your point or every nuance. It's late at night and I've had a long day. But I find myself nodding in agreement. Well said.

Apr 13, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #276 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which reminds me of the true story of the time I went to formally close out of the suit I had placed with my lawyer, having decided to settle by other remedys than a personal suit.
I knew we were actually deciding how much I now owed my good lawyer for his services up to that point in time, however; I found myself politely listening to a series of off topic and weakly transitioned monotone war stories from the mans youth; And a fast talker he was indeed.
I had no chance to interject for over an hour it seemed.

Finally, I loudly asked, how much he wanted to sign off on the suit settlement. There is a moral to the story......

Pardon me for asking but I'm curious: Your writing style resembles the output from an automatic translating service. Did I stumble onto the truth here? BTW, I read your posts even though I may have no interest in the topic BECAUSE I enjoy what you have to say and the way you say it.

Apr 13, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #278 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammin72 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread is more than interesting and in my mind a shining example of what the internet and informational boards like this are all about. .... That, ladies and gentlemen is a gift of knowledge and a modicum of returned power to the informed individual.

THAT, exactly, is the thing worth fighting and dying for. You'd get an earfull of squabbles from me about our current embroilment in the Middle East, but to live in a country and a world that would not allow us to have this discussion would get me get me fighting mad; I'd be in jail in no time. No, Jammin is right on: Head-Fi (and equalizing and communication power of the internet) is a gift. Thanks again, Jude.

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #279 of 303
I am wondering if the new headphonia is still similar to the porta corda, since the old one is going to be obsolete soon, and since there is seemingly nothing wrong, legally, with Robert's actions and there is nothing much Jan can do in his advantage.

I think this thread should be closed until research shows that the new amp is still a rip off. (The thread's getting no where anyway)

But Robert, if what Jan says is to be true, you are, not, an honest person. If it's not, I'm sorry, but all evidence is working to your disadvantage.

PS, I'm young and don't know much, if I said anything wrong, let me down gently. Not with flames. Thks

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #280 of 303
Dear Headfellows,

Just a little update.

“I have the feeling that nothing truly illegal has taken place”

Maybe not according to US-law but it certainly has according to the so-called European Design Law. Last week I discussed the situation with a friend who is a judge. Her advice was to sue and she also gave me the name of a lawyer who specializes in trading and industry. I will meet him in about 3 weeks.

Nonetheless, for the time being, I decided against filing a complaint. The reason is that the costs for a lawyer and also of the time involved simply are not justified by the “damage” yet. However, if Robert continues to sell amplifiers according to the PORTA CORDA design then this decision may well change. Therefore, people who buy an Headphonia in the future may use the schematics shown in this thread to check their new amp. If they feel the amps are still a copy of my design then I would appreciate a short notice.

A few days ago I did send Robert a mail and told him that I do not want to discuss a license-agreement anymore but that I would like him to take back all amps that have been sold, as he promised. Till now Robert has not responded yet.

In this thread Robert has offered to take back all Headphonia amplifiers that have been sold. Of course I can not oblige people to return their amps, but I wouldn’t mind if they do! :wink:

Just one note:

There are people who still feel that there is not enough proof for my claims. However, by publishing pictures and schematics I feel I did all possible. Also a third (and independent) person confirmed my findings in this thread and the deafening silence of Robert should also tell you something. Are these facts really not convincing enough?

Cheers

Jan

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #281 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

Just a little update.

“I have the feeling that nothing truly illegal has taken place”

Maybe not according to US-law but it certainly has according to the so-called European Design Law. Last week I discussed the situation with a friend who is a judge. Her advice was to sue and she also gave me the name of a lawyer who specializes in trading and industry. I will meet him in about 3 weeks.

Jan

Perhaps I should have said noting that can be effectively prosecuted.

"Truly" left some gray area for those that aren't ready to judge and in the above statement "effectively" includes results for similar cases in other industries as well as cost to benefit ratio.
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #282 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Meier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Headfellows,

...Just one note:

There are people who still feel that there is not enough proof for my claims. However, by publishing pictures and schematics I feel I did all possible. Also a third (and independent) person confirmed my findings in this thread and the deafening silence of Robert should also tell you something. Are these facts really not convincing enough?

Cheers

Jan

Deafening silence is just another way of saying Robert's taking advantage of his right to remain silent which for the American (US) members of this forum should be very understandable.

As an aside this thread makes me very uncomfortable because it appears to be asking us to become inadvertent jurists on a virtual kangaroo court or worser still members of an international lynch mob.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #283 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deafening silence is just another way of saying Robert's taking advantage of his right to remain silent which for the American (US) members of this forum should be very understandable.

Yes...the "right to remain silent" is part of the Miranda rights read to someone as they are being arrested. It's applicable to CRIMINAL matters, not civil matters. This is why OJ was compelled to testify in the civil suit by the Brown and Goldman family, but was not in his murder trial.

Of all the things suggested in this thread, I don't think anyone has suggested that anything criminal has occurred. Furthermore, this is not a legal proceeding...it's an internet discussion board.

I suppose that it is anyone's right, when accused by another, to respond with silence. It is not unreasonable, however, for the opinions of others to be colored by that refusal to respond. If someone accused me of doing something that I was certain I had not in fact done, I'd respond by protesting that accusation vigorously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an aside this thread makes me very uncomfortable because it appears to be asking us to become inadvertent jurists on a virtual kangaroo court or worser still members of an international lynch mob.

This seems a bit hysterical to me. There is no lynch mob gathering with torches and pitchforks here. What the thread IS doing IMHO is serving as a forum for the exchange of information about a matter that is of interest to the membership. It is not unreasonable to think that members will form an opinion about what is discussed here, and the parties who are central to the discussion. Those opinions may or may not ultimately be favorable, and nothing about that strikes me as unfair or unreasonable.

There has been an accusation by one MOT, followed by several responses by another MOT (including one making IMHO rather absurd implications about the neutrality of this site WRT this matter), followed by an offering of proof by the first MOT, followed by....nothing.

In the mean time others have analyzed the two amps and offered their opinions. I've since heard more than a few calls for a response, and still nothing...

At some point, it's not unreasonable to assume that the lack of response is somehow meaningful.

I'm not incredibly comfortable with this thread. However, shutting it down simply closes discussion of a matter that is apparently of interest and importance to the membership. It also would deprive Robert of the opportunity to respond to what Jan has suggested here.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #284 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes...the "right to remain silent" is part of the Miranda rights read to someone as they are being arrested. It's applicable to CRIMINAL matters, not civil matters. This is why OJ was compelled to testify in the civil suit by the Brown and Goldman family, but was not in his murder trial.

Of all the things suggested in this thread, I don't think anyone has suggested that anything criminal has occurred. Furthermore, this is not a legal proceeding...it's an internet discussion board.

I suppose that it is anyone's right, when accused by another, to respond with silence. It is not unreasonable, however, for the opinions of others to be colored by that refusal to respond. If someone accused me of doing something that I was certain I had not in fact done, I'd respond by protesting that accusation vigorously.

This seems a bit hysterical to me. There is no lynch mob gathering with torches and pitchforks here. What the thread IS doing IMHO is serving as a forum for the exchange of information about a matter that is of interest to the membership. It is not unreasonable to think that members will form an opinion about what is discussed here, and the parties who are central to the discussion. Those opinions may or may not ultimately be favorable, and nothing about that strikes me as unfair or unreasonable.

There has been an accusation by one MOT, followed by several responses by another MOT (including one making IMHO rather absurd implications about the neutrality of this site WRT this matter), followed by an offering of proof by the first MOT, followed by....nothing.

In the mean time others have analyzed the two amps and offered their opinions. I've since heard more than a few calls for a response, and still nothing...

At some point, it's not unreasonable to assume that the lack of response is somehow meaningful.

I'm not incredibly comfortable with this thread. However, shutting it down simply closes discussion of a matter that is apparently of interest and importance to the membership. It also would deprive Robert of the opportunity to respond to what Jan has suggested here.

AMEN. I really don't understand why anyone cares how Robert and his business are being treated on this forum. Or at least why anyone would care about that more than they care about having an inferior product (if it is in fact such) expposed for the benefit of head-fi members. Robert's a big boy. He can defend himself if he chooses. That's all the "fairness" Robert (or anyone) is entitled to on this forum. That sounds pretty harsh, and it is. But the marketplace (of products or ideas) is a tough place.

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #285 of 303
I've cleared up some posts just now, at what is currently the tail-end of this thread.

There are posts expressing opinions on all sides of this issue. But if you're a previous zero-poster, and you're picking this thread to jump in for your very first post(s) in an inflammatory manner (on either side)....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back