A request to all owners of an Headphonia amplifier
Apr 11, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #241 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just a little strange to read this all. I have never seen something like this gone public in the way it is done now.

Thanks for the explanation, Contrastique. I understand, now, where you're coming from. Yes, it is strange!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So forgive my if I came on rude to you. I am a also a little strange, if that helps
icon10.gif

No need for apologies. You haven't been rude at all, Contrastique. Gracious, in fact.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #242 of 303
Do correct me if I’m wrong here but since nobody legally “owns” any of the pertinent designs and hence litigation as such is moot, the case is closed. All we’re doing now is discussing the ethical and business issues. If the issue is now down to voting with our wallets I believe Headphonia and Meier Audio (or any other company for that matter) may have a very simple solution.

The American public has amply demonstrated that they do vote with their wallets. Drop the price of the products ‘til it becomes an incredible value and all might be forgiven. That’s the modus operandi of the majority of imports we buy and if we don’t beat those up, why pick on anyone else. Afterall how many of us query about the products we buy if they are clones, copied, imitated, original, innovative or otherwise as long as the price is right?

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #243 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The American public has amply demonstrated that they do vote with their wallets. Drop the price of the products ‘til it becomes an incredible value and all might be forgiven. That’s the modus operandi of the majority of imports we buy and if we don’t beat those up, why pick on anyone else. Afterall how many of us query about the products we buy if they are clones, copied, imitated, original, innovative or otherwise as long as the price is right?

Forgive me, but there's something about a self-described CanuckinMonkeyLand who would speak for "The American public" that leaves me less than convinced.

We are speaking of ethical and business issues, and many of us think that they are important. Please know that you do not speak for all of Head-Fi's American membership (or Americans in general IMHO) when you pop off like this.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #244 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me, but there's something about a self-described CanuckinMonkeyLand who would speak for "The American public" that leaves me less than convinced.

We are speaking of ethical and business issues, and many of us think that they are important. Please know that you do not speak for all of Head-Fi's American membership (or Americans in general IMHO) when you pop off like this.

i believe the 2006 US trade deficit of $800 billion speaks volumes for America's buying habits. as allways, all the rest is just my humble opinion.

edited: O pardon me. the actual figure for the 2006 US trade deficit is $763.6 billion buckaroos. my bad
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #246 of 303
Quote:

Just curious. What did you find offensive about scottiebabie's statement?

Apr 11, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #247 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious. What did you find offensive about scottiebabie's statement?

I find the notion that, FOR AMERICANS, those silly, shallow, unpricipled fools, all is forgiven for the lowest price. That this is a silly notion ought to be obvious by what has been posted here.

I found it irritating...offensive is a pretty strong word.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #248 of 303
Quote:

I find the notion that, FOR AMERICANS, those silly, shallow, unpricipled fools, all is forgiven for the lowest price. That this is a silly notion ought to be obvious by what has been posted here.

I get it now. Heck, if one was making shallow, lazy generalizations about americans, one could just as easily say that those gauche americans will buy anything expensive, regardless of quality, if it's got the right label. I would find that just as . . . irritating.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #249 of 303
As always, sweeping generalizations are so wildly inaccurate that they are bound to offend/annoy almost everyone.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #250 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As always, sweeping generalizations are so wildly inaccurate that they are bound to offend/annoy almost everyone.

Or you just learn to live with your stereotype - just like all of us Germans apparently have to be beer-drinking, Lederhosen-wearing, Sauerkraut-eating, blue-eyed & blond, yodeling Nazis... *sigh*
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #251 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And maybe that's the point . . .
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #252 of 303
Quote:

Do correct me if I’m wrong here but since nobody legally “owns” any of the pertinent designs and hence litigation as such is moot, the case is closed....

I can't say at this point what the legal avenues are, or which remain, if any. That's not really the primary point with me.

Quote:

....All we’re doing now is discussing the ethical and business issues....

And that, to me, is the primary point.

Quote:

....If the issue is now down to voting with our wallets I believe Headphonia and Meier Audio (or any other company for that matter) may have a very simple solution.

First of all, it's not just the American public. I'm sure I can find €40.00 DVD players--placed on top of cheaply built, cheaply priced shelving--in entertainment systems all over the world. That being said, I do see where you're going with this. And, you're right that in an ideal world, I should know if, for random hypothetical example, children are working with dangerous chemicals to assemble my CD-ROM drive; or if the animal hide in my shoes was obtained in cruel fashion; or if my DVD player's schematic was simply a rip-off of another company's design; etc. Maybe many of us wouldn't care if we found out our DVD player's design was direclty lifted from an original design from Toshiba's product development team.

But, 'round here at least, headphone amps are different--well, at least to me (and a lot of others here). The relative distance between the designer/manufacturer and the final consumer here is small--more intimate. Our opinions give voice to the products we end up with in a much more immediate way than with most products we use in our daily lives, with our input through our posts collectively afforded significant importance in the world of headphone amps, and, in many cases, even the headphones made by bigger companies (like SHURE, Sennheiser, etc.).

If it is found that someone lifted another's headphone amp design, value for value, some of you may not care, and so may continue to seek out a "clone" product on price alone. Though I can't prevent it, I can (as the webmaster and one of the moderators of the site) prevent it from being advertised here, because it matters to me and many others. In our little world here, we have, for years now, demanded and been served with new cool products, and a lot of that activity comes from our headphone amp segment. While Head-Fi does not constitute the entire marketplace for such products, I can safely say that there are a good number of people and small companies who depend on the community at Head-Fi to provide a significant portion of their livings, and, thus motivated, work to develop those new cool products. I've been around Head-Fi since day one (obviously), and have been a part of the audio and headphone audio community since before Head-Fi. From its beginning, one of the primary roles that I always wanted Head-Fi to serve was to encourage the growth of what was, at its founding, a far smaller (but growing) marketplace, to motivate the development of new and better products to serve the headphone audio space.

Your simplistic explanation ("drop the price of the products") is just that--too simplistic. Earlier in this thread, someone said this: Quote:

Originally Posted by someone in this thread earlier
....If the Headphonia could be sold for cheaper and is the same then taht says somethign about the original....

My interpretation of that sentence is that the poster was saying that even if one amp is the direct copy of another (and, again, we're still going on the words of others here, and can come to our own conclusions--or not--based on those words), because the copy could be priced significantly lower suggests that there's something wrong with the price of the original. To me, your "drop the price of the products" suggestion is similar, in that neither recognizes or rewards the value of the work in the original design as it contributes to price, but only takes into consideration the price discrepancy between the two in a vacuum. As someone else said in this thread, it can take countless hours to get one's design, and the values therein, adjusted to achieve what one is seeking to achieve with his product. (And, as might be evident, the price difference between products of similar--or identical--schematics could still be explained even further by differences in build quality and other things.)

I realize what I wrote above may be a bit rambling, so let me state it more concisely: I see where you're trying to go with your post. You're suggesting that if we don't take the time to look into whether or not all of the products on our desks, in our entertainment systems, on our nightstands, etc., are based on the value for value "borrowed" designs of others, maybe we shouldn't do it here. And to that I'm saying I disagree, to the extent that, within the confines of this community, we generally (and understandably) do care more about how business is conducted. And, yes, maybe we should in all aspects of our lives with all the products we use, but, in a hobby market as limited in scope and scale as ours--and served by a small (but growing) number of manufacturers/designers who really do wish to keep providing us with cool new products--it's easier to pay more attention to what is going on and how business is being conducted, and it's easier to care more.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #253 of 303
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you just learn to live with your stereotype - just like all of us Germans apparently have to be beer-drinking, Lederhosen-wearing, Sauerkraut-eating, blue-eyed & blond, yodeling Nazis... *sigh*
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Stop...your breaking my drunken Irish heart!!
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #254 of 303
Quote:

No negative generalization about Americans was intended on my part as I am merely reflecting what’s factual to me. A more complete examination of my post will indicate that all I’m stating is that IF the only issue left is merely about buying choices, then ultimately the best option is to offer the best product at the best price. Do correct me if I’m wrong but that’s my interpretation on what the “marketplace” dictates (in general atleast). Granted that while Headfi is a micro niche universe and that general consumer factors may not apply, that doesn’t imply that I’m generalizing Americans or American Headfiers.

I believe substituting American for Canadian or most EU countries would also hold water. Whether that’s irritating or not would be completely up to each individual. Perchance more has been read into my post than intended? Or did I inadvertently strike a nerve?

ps: for the record, "FOR AMERICANS, those silly, shallow, unpricipled fools" are completely your words and certainly not mine. i find it incredulous that it can be extrapolated from my post
confused.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #255 of 303
Jude, well said: "To me, your 'drop the price of the products' suggestion is similar, in that neither recognizes or rewards the value of the work in the original design as it contributes to price, but only takes into consideration the price discrepancy between the two in a vacuum." I also agree that the whole drop-the-price issue is complex. I'm not condoning or defending those who take the clone path to headfidom, but they may have an impact that, if not always positive, is at least stimulating. For better or for worse, clones exponentially widen access to otherwise unobtainable goods and technology. The masses expand the market, and for high-end suppliers, that's got to be a good thing. Here's why. My guess is that the entry-level folks will gradually leave the clone fold and enter the high-end zone in terms of quality and pricing. Thus, the larger the number of clone buyers, the larger the potential number of clients who demand topnotch quality at prices that folks like Jan and Tyll could live with. I realize this is all theoretical and far from airtight so I welcome other thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back