「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,865 of 177,744
ok lay it out for me

i wanna get into BRS
tell me step by step what i need to watch first and whatever.

oh and AMAGAMI SS + AND HIGH SCHOOL DXD IS OUT :) 
L3000.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,866 of 177,744

Quote:
ok lay it out for me

i wanna get into BRS

oh and AMAGAMI SS + AND HIGH SCHOOL DXD IS OUT :) 
L3000.gif

Watch the OVA, then the episodes. I liked the OVA artwork better, much better. It's about an hour long so it's basically a movie. There's no other anime you need to watch before this.

OVA stuff.

http://www.animefushigi.com/anime/black-rock-shooter

IIRC the bonus extra was just this amazing drawing.

http://www.animefushigi.com/anime/black%E2%98%85rock-shooter-2012

Right above is the 2012 release of the anime itself.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #1,867 of 177,744

Quote:
Watch the OVA, then the episodes. I liked the OVA artwork better, much better. It's about an hour long so it's basically a movie. There's no other anime you need to watch before this.

ok  :)

first...some ..i don't know. i am 3 episodes behind high school dxd. love the show but can't watch it half the time :'( for reasons understandable

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #1,869 of 177,744

Quote:
ok lay it out for me

i wanna get into BRS

Watch the PV with the original song:

Then either read the manga or play the video game, because the OVA is a waste of ~40 minutes of your time (though you can find the Abridged version [ETA: the one by gg], which cuts it down to the ~10 minutes that are worth watching).

And the anime is just... ugh. I think I watch it because I get to hear Miku in the OP, but that's about it.

ETA: And some history of BRS:

1. Huke draws an image of a girl with skimpy clothes, twintails, one eye that's surrounded by a blue flame, and wielding a huge freakin' gun; her name is Black Rock Shooter.
2. The image inspires Supercell to write a song titled "Black Rock Shooter", using Vocaloid software to do the vocals.
3. Huke finds out, joins forces with Supercell, and illustrates a PV for the song, using his character.
4. The PV becomes pretty popular once it gets posted on Nico Nico Douga (it gets something like 2 million views after a year of being up).
5. Somehow, Studio Ordet gets interested and decides to do an OVA featuring BRS.
6. The OVA gets made and released. People are sorely disappointed by how crappy the OVA is - in 50 minutes, they show about 10 minutes of BRS, and timeskip an entire year of school. Also, the song never once makes an appearance, except at the very end, before the actual ED song, where you hear a few light piano notes that play out a short segment.
7. We pretty lose all hope that an anime is going to get made, because seriously, that OVA was not very good or popular.
8. BRS manga gets published at some point.
9. Imageepoch releases the BRS video game in August of 2011; the game has illustrations by ufotable, who are far better artists and animators than Studio Ordet. There are two premium versions: Black Rock Shooter and White Rock Shooter. Each version comes with an awesome FIGMA of the respective character.
10. Earlier this year, NISA does a US localization of the BRS video game. NISA confirms that they're localizing the BRS video game for US and EU.
11. BRS anime happens. It's just as bad as the OVA, IMO.

-- Griffinhart

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,871 of 177,744
Uh, something something middle school girls something.

Like, the OVA's storyline is that there's this one girl who's all lonely, but she meets another girl (the main character) who becomes her (one and only) friend but she's jealous of this other girl (who is the main character's best friend), and so... uh... somehow alternate world where Black Rock Shooter fights Dead Master. The OVA is really bad at explaining the connection between the two worlds - it's not until the very end that BRS talks to main character-girl in the real world and they like, make a contract or something.

The anime's story is even worse (I'm up to ep4) - so far there's exactly no connection shown between the BRS world and the real world. It takes the same basic premise and adds some extra characters. So now we've got main character girl, main character's best friend girl, lonely girl, creepy cripple girl, and school counselor. It's a new year at a middle school, and main character girl falls in love with lonely girl because they both like the same picture book (about a bird). But lonely girl doesn't want to be friends with main character girl because creepy cripple girl is all sorts of weird/controlling over her life. But main character girl doesn't really give a crap and tries to befriend lonely girl anyways. Creepy cripple girl threatens to hurt herself to keep lonely girl all to herself, and then does so, and gets hospitalized. Then we find out creepy cripple girl is both crippled and not crippled (there are scenes very explicitly showing her using her limbs, despite her initially being confined to a wheelchair) because when they were a lot younger, lonely girl had to move away and creepy cripple girl (who wasn't creepy or crippled at the time) chased after her and got hit by a car. Lonely girl felt guilty about it, so basically made herself creepy cripple girl's slave for the next couple of years. Anyhow, there's a big confrontation thing at the hospital and it sounds like lonely girl is murdering creepy cripple girl but then the door to the hospital room opens and everyone looks fine and creepy cripple girl passes out.

In between all of this, we get cuts to the BRS world where BRS is fighting and being awesome and stuff. (Mostly she fights a crab-car-train thing [that has creepy cripple girl's face] to try and free Dead Master, who looks exactly like lonely girl; BRS looks exactly like main character girl.) It's basically an allegory for what's going on in the real world (or, alternatively, the real world is an allegory for what's going on in BRS world).

Oh, and school counselor is incompetent and gives coffee to little kids.

ETA: And now that I've typed all this out, I really don't know why I continue to watch this show. Even Senki Zesshou Symphogear is better.

-- Griffinhart

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,872 of 177,744

Quote:
Uh, something something middle school girls something.

Like, the OVA's storyline is that there's this one girl who's all lonely, but she meets another girl (the main character) who becomes her (one and only friend) but she's jealous of this other girl (who is the main character's best friend), and so... uh... somehow alternate world where Black Rock Shooter fights Dead Master. The OVA is really bad at explaining the connection between the two worlds - it's not until the very end that BRS talks to main character-girl in the real world and they like, make a contract or something.

The anime's story is even worse (I'm up to ep4) - so far there's exactly no connection shown between the BRS world and the real world. It takes the same basic premise and adds some extra characters. So now we've got main character girl, main character's best friend girl, lonely girl, creepy cripple girl, and school counselor. It's a new year at a middle school, and main character girl falls in love with lonely girl because they both like the same picture book (about a bird). But lonely girl doesn't want to be friends with main character girl because creepy cripple girl is all sorts of weird/controlling over her life. But main character girl doesn't really give a crap and tries to befriend lonely girl anyways. Creepy cripple girl threatens to hurt herself to keep lonely girl all to herself, and then does so, and gets hospitalized. Then we find out creepy cripple girl is both crippled and not crippled (there are scenes very explicitly showing her using her limbs, despite her initially being confined to a wheelchair) because when they were a lot younger, lonely girl had to move a way and creepy cripple girl (who wasn't creepy or crippled at the time) chased after her and got hit by a car. Lonely girl felt guilty about it, so basically made herself creepy cripple girl's slave for the next couple of years. Anyhow, there's a big confrontation thing at the hospital and it sounds like lonely girl is murdering creepy cripple girl but then the door to the hospital room opens and everyone looks fine and creepy cripple girl passes out.

In between all of this, we get cuts to the BRS world where BRS is fighting and being awesome and stuff. (Mostly she fights a crab-car-train thing [that has creepy cripple girl's face] to try and free Dead Master, who looks exactly like lonely girl; BRS looks exactly like main character girl.) It's basically an allegory for what's going on in the real world (or, alternatively, the real world is an allegory for what's going on in BRS world).

Oh, and school counselor is incompetent and gives coffee to little kids.

ETA: And now that I've typed all this out, I really don't know why I continue to watch this show. Even Senki Zesshou Symphogear is better.

-- Griffinhart

thanks for the post griff..and wow...symphonogear. you werean't here a while ago but you should've seen my post on it. i had high hopes for it..but it's super corniness just killed me...it just killed me...totally horrible. i mean the bad engrish in sypmhongear wasn't enough..it had....i dont even want to know..

thanks for the warning. i gues i wont watch it now :/ too many super creepy girls :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #1,873 of 177,744
The only reason I watch Symphogear is because conlangs are awesome.

(That's also the reason why I played Ar tonelico, but Ar tonelico was at least really good, funny, and came to me recommended by a friend.)

-- Griffinhart

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,874 of 177,744
...i don't even know anymore..so many wasted hours watching marathons :/

currently im on a manga reading night.

i read and went to current chapter of nisekoi, then went to maga tsuki. i liked both of them and now im on sangatssu no lion and im liking it too :) im moving to bokurano and kodomo no jikan per bdawks recommendations next :)

i dont know why but i was just reminded of romeoxjuliet...such a good series..i loved it..a solid B series right there overal. in terms of enjoyability. an A+.you know those things you can't descirbe where overal the grade is lower or just average .but you just loved it. that's what this was

Users who are viewing this thread

Back