or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Fiio X3 Thread. - Page 507

post #7591 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar17 View Post
 


pls do compare colorfly c3 with x3.

btw clip+ vs colorfly c3,is the diff worth upgrading?

There is an excellent comparison here with the X3, C3 and many others...

 

A Rockboxed Clip+ is a great little player!

 

The C3 has a much better sound quality and an all Metal construction. It has MANY quirks that take a lot of getting used to, If you only want to play audio from Individual Folders with No Play Lists, Shuffle All, Gapless without using Cue Files, Totally Non functional EQ, 12mW output so it will require an amp for most full size headphones. You have to run your uSD cards through a directory sort program as it will play the songs in the order they written to the uSD card... Have I scared you away yet?

 

I really do love the C3 as a DAP! I load up my music, select the folder and Enjoy!

If you are a Random Play, Shuffle & Custom List / EQ kind of listener then the C3 is defiantly NOT for you.

:beerchug:

post #7592 of 17162

Muse better sound damned good or I will squeal badly


Edited by Yeknodathon - 1/7/14 at 8:56am
post #7593 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokei View Post


Cheers man ......best post I read today .

Fiio should have employed u ....lol

 

Thank you.

 

I also like to watch defrag programs and those little squares move and change colour. I have and could spend hours manually retagging files.. and then retagging them a different way. Formatting .jpg artwork to exact pixel sizes is very calming.

 

The X3 is indeed very tempting and offers lots of adventures

post #7594 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeknodathon View Post

Thank you.

I also like to watch defrag programs and those little squares move and change colour. I have and could spend hours manually retagging files.. and then retagging them a different way. Formatting .jpg artwork to exact pixel sizes is very calming.

The X3 is indeed very tempting and offers lots of adventures

blink.gif
post #7595 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeknodathon View Post

Thank you.

I also like to watch defrag programs and those little squares move and change colour. I have and could spend hours manually retagging files.. and then retagging them a different way. Formatting .jpg artwork to exact pixel sizes is very calming.

The X3 is indeed very tempting and offers lots of adventures

Life must be very stressful for you to resort to such mundane therapy like watching defrag program square colour boxes changing and moving.

Maybe I should try it and see if I can induced myself into a trance where I can see the holy land.

Man ...u should post more here ....LOL
post #7596 of 17162

Ain't nothin' wrong with watching theraputic boxes or anything.

post #7597 of 17162
Quote:

The X3 is indeed very tempting and offers lots of adventures

If this quote was featured on Fiio's website, I don't think anyone could resist getting an X3! Make it happen!

post #7598 of 17162

I'd really like to buy a Fiio X3 because I'm presently without access to hi-fi. Since my SoundMagic E30's died on me (I break everything) all I have are some WESC headphones that came free with my Samsung Galaxy Ace II (yeah, that's right) and a laptop, mobile phone or ancient Denon all-in-one system (CD, FM and Casette tape) to plug them in to. I also have access to a Yamaha TSX-130, which I'm surprised to see gets 4 stars in a hi-fi review magazine. I previously owned an Acoustic Energy Aego M which I thought sounded better for less money and it only gets 3 stars.

 

Anyway, I'm suffering from hi-fi withdrawal and I'm homesick for all the places my favourite artists used to take me to.

 

So, as I said, I'm considering buying a Fiio X3 and a pair of SoundMagic HP100 headphones, but I have concerns. All this talk of crashing on playback and crashing on importing tracks has me worried. If it is an issue of weird-characters-or-fields-in-id3-tags then could using something like MusicBrainz Picard help?

 

Does the FiiO X3 support the use of .cue .m3u or .xspf sheets? If so then gapless audio isn't a problem for the albums that I can re-rip as a single .flac file and produce a sheet for. Unless I start getting weird problems after 12 mins of playback which I think I read somewhere on one of the preceding 500 or so pages.

 

Also, I noticed that Rockbox is available for the OndaVX747 / VX777 which uses an Ingenic JZ4732. What are the odds that Rockbox will be made available for the Fiio product line-up? I only ask because I used rockbox on my Sansa Clip + once upon a time and was perfectly happy with it. It played pretty much everything, it scrobbles to last.fm and gapless playback works properly, but it wasn't exactly hi-fi. At least not with the ~£30 Senheisser CX-Somethings that I had with it.

 

For those who don't understand why last.fm scrobbling is such a big deal, there are at least 3 reasons that I can think of. 1) It's an addictive music discovery platform. 2) It's a good way to find out about upcoming events. 3) If you're a forgetful old so and so, like myself, it's a good way to keep track of those odd records that you love by artists you perhaps don't love so much, generally speaking. 4) They link to 7-Digital who have 9 whole FLAC albums for download. Two in 24bit even! :wink_face:

 

Does anyone know what format the Fiio X3 database is in or what it contains? Is it an SQLite database or some other format?

 

B.

post #7599 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeknodathon View Post

Muse better sound damned good or I will squeal badly


Muse always does sound fantastic, i ripped the Live at Rome blu-ray, and in combination with my Grado PS1000/RS-2/GR10 it makes me want to HUG the music.
post #7600 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannikin View Post
 

I would like the opinion(s) of the more experienced and informed users here. I have had the FiiO X 3 for about a week and I've determined that the sound quality isn't worth the troublesome UI and other quirks. I have loaded about 35 albums of FLAC and ALAC files on the device + 32gb card, and already it is obvious that the button/navigation is going to become extremely tedious if I get more/larger storage cards. Typically I play an entire album in one go, so the typical "playlist" feature doesn't matter to me, so its not like I'm looking to mirror my Apple/iOS  experience here. Still, the button layout is proving to be a challenge for my muscle memory; I am constantly pressing the Menu button instead of the Forward button, because it is placed badly!

 

I've also had a very iffy experience with the software: high def music files purchased from HDtracks.com sometimes play only to a specific point in the track, then the player skips to the next track! Same thing with some of my home ripped ALAC and AIFF files. Album art is erratic: it displays with some albums and not others, and it doesn't seem to matter if its purchased music, or home rips. I have added a few albums at a time and each time I manually prompt the device to generate a new inventory of the files, and now I have certain albums that display three or four copies of each track, when I know for a fact there is only one of each! WTF?? When using the USB connect to my MacBook Pro, if I leave the X3 plugged in to charge for more than a few minutes without manually unmounting the drives (internal and sd card both) then the X3 shuts off and I get a system error warning me that I have disconnected drives incorrectly, risking damage to the storage.

 

This has felt like a beta experience, using a device from 1998. In fact, loading, viewing and playing music reminds me a lot of my first MP3 player - a Diamond Rio. Surely there is something better than this?!

 

So, here's my question: will switching to a more expensive piece of hardware fix the problems I've experienced with the X3? I mean, I bought the FiiO knowing fully well that many users here have lamented the less-than-ideal UI etc., but I was not prepared for what I've had to deal with. I figured I could cope with a "kludgy" UI in order to get the sound quality I knew was possible, but I can't help feeling like I got what I paid for: a $200 experience, when what I want is the $700 - $1200 experience.

 

Tomorrow I am going to be at ALO Audio to test drive the A&K DAPs. But if anyone can give me some advice before I do so, I'd like to hear from you. Is it going to be a waste of money to step up to an AK100? Will the experience be any better than the X3 has been?

 

Many thanks for your suggestions and input.

I agree with you on the X3, i`m really not sure what most here are used to but i feel like i have gone back 15 yrs. In this day and age i really expected more.  The device does sound good and i`m willing to put up with it.

 

I spent several weeks with Fiio support going over some of the issues that you are having and several of my X3`s own issues and they finally told me to send it back and i would get a new X3, so i will see if the new X3 is any better as Fiio support told me that the related issues were not normal.  I think many here are living with devices that ARE NOT operating correctly.

post #7601 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeknodathon View Post

Muse better sound damned good or I will squeal badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post

Muse always does sound fantastic, i ripped the Live at Rome blu-ray, and in combination with my Grado PS1000/RS-2/GR10 it makes me want to HUG the music.

I've not ripped the rest of my Muse catalog yet, but I do have HAARP in already. I'm a bit disappointed in Matt's voice in that recording. I don't think it's a well-recorded/engineered CD, where the resolution of his voice is not that great. Take Unintended, for example.

I hope the actual albums do much, much better.
post #7602 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

I hope the actual albums do much, much better.

I think the better the gear the worse HAARP sounds compared with the studio recordings, the sound quality might be described as visual i.e. you have to watch it to get any joy.

post #7603 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH 67 View Post
 

I agree with you on the X3, i`m really not sure what most here are used to but i feel like i have gone back 15 yrs.

 

Rio PMP300?

 

I rather like portable HiRez FLAC player, USB DAC and HP amp all in one, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that has had no problems.

post #7604 of 17162
A little dual lock and the X3 & E12 become one...

Anyone know of a nice case with a belt clip this combo will fit in? Dual zipper Lowepro type thing that is not a foot thick would be great. Also a Pelican Micro 1020 or 1030 for best fit, anyone own either of the above cases?

Thanks!
beerchug.gif
post #7605 of 17162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunders View Post

I'd really like to buy a Fiio X3 because I'm presently without access to hi-fi. Since my SoundMagic E30's died on me (I break everything) all I have are some WESC headphones that came free with my Samsung Galaxy Ace II (yeah, that's right) and a laptop, mobile phone or ancient Denon all-in-one system (CD, FM and Casette tape) to plug them in to. I also have access to a Yamaha TSX-130, which I'm surprised to see gets 4 stars in a hi-fi review magazine. I previously owned an Acoustic Energy Aego M which I thought sounded better for less money and it only gets 3 stars.

Anyway, I'm suffering from hi-fi withdrawal and I'm homesick for all the places my favourite artists used to take me to.

So, as I said, I'm considering buying a Fiio X3 and a pair of SoundMagic HP100 headphones, but I have concerns. All this talk of crashing on playback and crashing on importing tracks has me worried. If it is an issue of weird-characters-or-fields-in-id3-tags then could using something like MusicBrainz Picard help?

Does the FiiO X3 support the use of .cue .m3u or .xspf sheets? If so then gapless audio isn't a problem for the albums that I can re-rip as a single .flac file and produce a sheet for. Unless I start getting weird problems after 12 mins of playback which I think I read somewhere on one of the preceding 500 or so pages.

Also, I noticed that Rockbox is available for the OndaVX747 / VX777 which uses an Ingenic JZ4732. What are the odds that Rockbox will be made available for the Fiio product line-up? I only ask because I used rockbox on my Sansa Clip + once upon a time and was perfectly happy with it. It played pretty much everything, it scrobbles to last.fm and gapless playback works properly, but it wasn't exactly hi-fi. At least not with the ~£30 Senheisser CX-Somethings that I had with it.

For those who don't understand why last.fm scrobbling is such a big deal, there are at least 3 reasons that I can think of. 1) It's an addictive music discovery platform. 2) It's a good way to find out about upcoming events. 3) If you're a forgetful old so and so, like myself, it's a good way to keep track of those odd records that you love by artists you perhaps don't love so much, generally speaking. 4) They link to 7-Digital who have 9 whole FLAC albums for download. Two in 24bit even! wink_face.gif

Does anyone know what format the Fiio X3 database is in or what it contains? Is it an SQLite database or some other format?

B.

I use Musicbrainz Picard to tag my files and I believe it is part of the reason I don't have problems with my data and the X3. I also have over one million scrobbles on LastFM. (Username "aangen" and since hitting the 1M limit "aangen2". So I get you a bit there. I am not having any trouble with my X3, it works well. I don't even mind the OS, it is simple and works well for how I use the player. My default method is to randomly play all of the entire database. Otherwise I browse folders and have zero problems playing albums that way. Cue files, m3u files? Couldn't tell you as I never bothered to find out. My music is named 01 - track name, 02 - track name and so forth so playing in order is easy enough. Gapless playback, does it work? Maybe, if it isn't working it isn't bothersome. The music sounds great and this little two hundred dollar player pleases the hell out of my ears. My previous Apple toys are all on the shelf. Is the X3 for everybody? Oh hell no, you read the stuff here and you can't wait for some of these folks to give it up and go back to FM radio or cassettes. It's a $200 device that plays high end files, hooray! I think it will do wonders for your homesickness. I can't wait to buy an X5 as well. Fiio is a fave of mine and they earned it.

I also have Rockboxed devices that I don't feel as warmly about. Rockbox is a major step forward from Apple iPod OS, but that is easy enough, Apple is weak. I prefer the X3 OS to Rockbox. I doubt the programmers behind Rockbox are going to pay attention to the X3. If I am wrong about this, awesome, another option. But if it doesn't happen that is fine as well. The X3 is a fine little device, I'm enjoying mine as I post this. Good luck!
Edited by aangen - 1/7/14 at 10:47pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › The Fiio X3 Thread.