I does not. You might consider adding a clas. It is a sweet sounding combo!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Please tell me the gain-range arms race is over ... plus, feedback for designers Last post on 11/26/12 at 1:16am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Best choice for portable Amp for LCD-2s?? Last post on 9/4/13 at 8:02am in Portable Headphone Amps
- High end battery operated portable 24/192 USB DAC/Amp Last post on 10/23/13 at 3:19pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- RSA Intruder or HiFi-M8 for CIEM Last post on 12/27/12 at 12:14pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Rsa intruder vs alo international Last post on 11/19/13 at 10:10pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner)Last edited: 12/28/12
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . 1st listening impressions and continuing thoughts. . . - Page 12post #166 of 3742/14/13 at 1:19am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #167 of 3742/14/13 at 8:16ampost #168 of 3742/14/13 at 8:19amQuote:
Thank you very much Ray. I was supposed to package up and give you my SR-71B after last year's Tokyo Show but never got a chance to see you when the event finished. I'll be sending over my SR-71B to you soon.post #169 of 3742/14/13 at 3:56pmThread Starter
I have never had a battery fail or any other component go bad in an RSA amp or amp/dac over the years I have had them. That is saying something about quality and workmanship.post #170 of 3742/16/13 at 3:39amQuote:
What is the change described between these models?
Is it documented somewhere in this thread?
Is the "upgrade" available for Protectors too?post #171 of 3742/17/13 at 12:38ampost #172 of 3742/19/13 at 12:50pm
Hi everyone,First, thanks for all the info on this board! I haven't posted before but have been reading and using the info to make better informed purchases. Thanks.Regarding he intruder I just wanted to give my two cents. I bought it not knowing the the DAC was limited to 16-48. This bummed me out as I was using a Peachtree Nova that has a highly respected DAC and I didn't want to take a step back with the Intruder. So when the Intruder arrived I immediately wanted to A/B it against the Nova. I'm using RS1 and JH-13. I know I'm comparing the complete packages of the nova and the Intruder and not the individual components. That being said I was astounded by how much better the Intruder sounded. To my ears it was night and day. The Intruder sounded more transparent, larger sound stage, better separation and more "real" sounding for lack of a better word. Maybe it would sound even better with a better DAC but I'm not worried about that, I love this amp. Since I wasn't using the Nova's speaker capabilities I sold it. I briefly thought about moving it to another place in the house but instead I'm just moving the Intruder as needed, so far this isn't a problem but we'll see…And then I got Silver Dragon balanced cables and was startled by the balanced experience. On first listen I actually didn't like it. I felt I was being distracted by all the instrument separation. Every little sound was coming from a more distinct place and asking for my attention when I just wanted to sit back and listen. This was most apparent when listening to great vocalists like Emmylou Harris. I care more about her voice than pinpointing the location if the guitar compared to the drums. I wondered if the balanced functionality was going to get little use. I then watch a movie in balanced mode and was Thrilled! All the separation really gave the movie a 3D feel. After that experience I went back to music and found I enjoyed the balanced experience much more, like my mind had adjusted in some way. What ever it was I'm just over the top pleased with Ray's Intruder and now always prefer it balanced.Now I want to see what other full size headphones might sound like with this amp/dac. I've never heard any of the Hi-fi Man or LCD-3 but really want to.I'm not that into speakers (yet) but do have a pair of Audioengine5+ speakers and found improvement over using an AudioQuest DragonFly so got rid of that also. So that's my anecdotal comparison of the Intruder to the only other audio gear I've used. I just like the Intruder much much more.Looking forward to learning more from you all, thanks.All the best,Isaacpost #173 of 3742/19/13 at 2:22pmThread Starter
Great review and thoughts. Implementation. The balanced mode is all I use on the Intruder, I don't want to miss out on anything. The HD650 is ok but in balanced it comes to life and they work great with the Intruder. I have the JH13 and with those I get some of the best sound I have heard from them and the Intruder.post #174 of 3742/20/13 at 12:40ampost #175 of 3742/20/13 at 12:04pm
Thanks for your great review, Isaac!Quote:
I believe it does. I paired DACmini with The Intruder to drive HE-500 in balanced mode. It was amazing!
Furthermore, I think it's a bargain to spend $50 on a DAC like the one in The Intruder. I compared the DAC in The Intruder and HP-P1's. (using HP-P1's LO to connect The Intruder's SE input) Though I feel HP-P1 has a better DAC, the gap is marginal to me. (without A/B Test, I even cannot distinguish the difference between sounds from these two DACs)
Can't wait to see your review of pairing The Intruder with LCD-3. I also used "HP-P1(as a DAC) + The Intruder" to drive HiFiMAN's HE-500 in balanced mode. Though this combo isn't as great as the combo using DACmini as a DAC, it was still stunning. The Intruder is another artwork made by Ray.post #176 of 3742/20/13 at 4:03pmContrary to what I said (one post and I'm already contradicting myself!) I would totally like to try the Intruder with different DACs, always interested in firsthand experience and learning what our tools are truly capable of.After reading the forums today I'm leaning towards getting the HE-6. I don't have a dedicated speaker amp yet so would be using the HE-6's with the Intruder in the interim. I've read that HeadphoneAddict thought this combo was OK, surely there are better pairing but maybe this is a reasonable way to build towards a stationary system? To that end does anyone have a recommendation where to get a balanced cable to connect the HE-6 to the intruder. I have only used Moon Audio (and am very happy with their Silver Dragon cable for the JH-13's) but maybe there is a more budget option that is also good?Happily logged 6 hours listening to the Intruder today. :)post #177 of 3742/20/13 at 8:51pmpost #178 of 3742/21/13 at 8:59pmpost #179 of 3742/21/13 at 10:57pmThread StarterQuote:
So are you saying that balanced that R and L are in correct balanced but single ended this changes and you have a shift to R or L?post #180 of 3742/22/13 at 6:55amQuote:
I am running the SR71B in SE(singled end) mode, but Ray said that running Balance out would correct it. Then what's the point of putting SE output in the amp?
- THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . 1st listening impressions and continuing thoughts. . .
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 8 seconds ago
- › My amp has intermodulation distortion. Any solution? 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › I just got my first pair of Audiophile Headphones ATH-M50s I have a... 3 minutes ago
- › Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22? 3 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Winter 2014 AAMML Holiday Exchange 5 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 6 minutes ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 7 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi