Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier - Page 3

post #31 of 733
Thanks for the very extensive review. Tempting-looking amp, but only 500 mW at 32 Ohms? I'm starting to get frustrated by the prevalance of most amp designs skimping out on power/current for low-impedance headphones. More power! MORE POWER I SAY! 1W minimum @ 32 Ohms!!! I need optimal amps for my future Audio-Technica system!

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #32 of 733
great review Penchum, so glad I ordered, mine has left China too, their service is brilliant, my Zero should be here Monday also.
post #33 of 733
Nice review Penchum.

My ALO/AGK701's arrived today, which I've eagerly awaiting and I've been going through my entire music collecting trying to find something recorded well enough to get the best out of the 'phones and the MKV. I accidentally hit on a couple of 128k mp3's...bad move, like an audio version of a low-quality jpeg!

The first couple of days for me with the amp, it opened up somewhat noticeably after some hours of listening. What has been most wonderful for me with the purity of signal has been listening to classical again, or music with an orchestral or jazz background.
post #34 of 733
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm glad to see others were already mid-ordering! You guys are in for a treat! I've had my HD-600s running 24/7 on the MKV, to put some more hours on them. Every time I check in on them, they sound sooo great together! My HD-580s with 600 grills and 650 cable sound excellent too! Looks like I need to start ripping more of my music to lossless. I'm not anywhere near completing that project!
post #35 of 733
@Penchum
another excellent review coming from one of Head-Fi best reviewers
how about headphone review project, like HD600, i'm eager to know the differences between the brother HD650
post #36 of 733
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
Nice review Penchum.

My ALO/AGK701's arrived today, which I've eagerly awaiting and I've been going through my entire music collecting trying to find something recorded well enough to get the best out of the 'phones and the MKV. I accidentally hit on a couple of 128k mp3's...bad move, like an audio version of a low-quality jpeg!

The first couple of days for me with the amp, it opened up somewhat noticeably after some hours of listening. What has been most wonderful for me with the purity of signal has been listening to classical again, or music with an orchestral or jazz background.
I've been doing the same thing! Orchestra and Jazz both are amazing now! It puts a dent in my rock centered world!
post #37 of 733
Hi, thanks for the review. I was hesitating on a "green" slee solo but the seller wanted the same £ as he paid for it and was not prepared to negotiate. I found recommendations here for Little Dot, and the price is more favourable, so I've taken the plunge and clicked "buy it now". Will let you know how this turns out. Source is a Sim Audio Moon Nova cd player, 'phones are Senn 580's.
post #38 of 733
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren View Post
@Penchum
another excellent review coming from one of Head-Fi best reviewers
how about headphone review project, like HD600, i'm eager to know the differences between the brother HD650
That is probably a good idea. When I was "researching" to decide whether or not to purchase the HD600, I ran into so much slamming over which was better! It made the decision difficult, instead of easier. Now that I have the MKV and the MKIVse, such a comparison would have some merit. Hummmmm
If I did it, I would want to include the HD580 as well. I'll give it some thought and let you know. Thanks!!
post #39 of 733
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_cyrus View Post
Hi, thanks for the review. I was hesitating on a "green" slee solo but the seller wanted the same £ as he paid for it and was not prepared to negotiate. I found recommendations here for Little Dot, and the price is more favourable, so I've taken the plunge and clicked "buy it now". Will let you know how this turns out. Source is a Sim Audio Moon Nova cd player, 'phones are Senn 580's.
Thanks Robert! With what you have, it should sound fantastic! I'll be watching for word on how things go!
post #40 of 733
@Penchum
how about cables upgrade for your senns
i've never been happier since upgrade to Equinox cable
post #41 of 733
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren View Post
@Penchum
how about cables upgrade for your senns
i've never been happier since upgrade to Equinox cable
You have these on your HD650s? So far, I have replaced the stock cables on the HD580 and HD600 with HD650 cables, mostly due to better strength, better cable all around. I haven't approached the "sonic" value of replacement cables due to the same "slamming" that goes on. I'll think about it though!

As a side thought, have you considered purchasing a MKV as an alternative to going balanced? The more I research balanced, it seems like the cost is substantial!
post #42 of 733
yeah, the cost going balanced alone (cables and source)
can fund another SE system in your home,
i've been thinking if i'm not going balanced, i wanted to go all out to purchase more high-end amp and source, maybe like SP or Rudistor
post #43 of 733
about SAA Equinox cable, yeah it made difference on my HD650, not night and day of cource, but enough to made a big smiling face when listening to your HD650
post #44 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren View Post
about SAA Equinox cable, yeah it made difference on my HD650, not night and day of cource, but enough to made a big smiling face when listening to your HD650

I'll second that
post #45 of 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
Thanks for the very extensive review. Tempting-looking amp, but only 500 mW at 32 Ohms? I'm starting to get frustrated by the prevalance of most amp designs skimping out on power/current for low-impedance headphones. More power! MORE POWER I SAY! 1W minimum @ 32 Ohms!!! I need optimal amps for my future Audio-Technica system!
i used my w1000, and w5000 on the mkv with no problem, have to turn the volume down when i switch over from my 600 ohm headphone to the audio tehcnica headphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual View Post
Awesome review Penchum as always.

With low impedance headphones like the D2000 you might here a bit of hissing. This amp is more suited to headphones like the HD650.
i dont hear any hiss at all on my low impedance w5000 and w1000, it's dead silent. i suspect it could be your source or your cable
connection.

penchum: how do u take the volume knot off? do u just pull it out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier