Review of Little Dot MKV Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amplifier
Jan 26, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by weeeeesquirrel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the pic's also... any reason you just happen to have that much red velvet laying around??? Just curious...
biggrin.gif
It gives the MKV the look of 'Audiophile Royalty'!!!

Ha! I was worried it would be too much! The other color I had was black, and that didn't work well because of the black case.
smily_headphones1.gif
Enjoy!

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 740
Did you score those at the 'Parts ConneXion'?

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 740
I'm really diggin' the way the volume scale is reflecting in your Bling-Bling knobs!!! Me thinks me gonna have to see if they carry those in chrome
biggrin.gif
I don't even have it yet and I'm contemplating pimpin' it out!!!

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 740
Quote:

Did you score those at the 'Parts ConneXion'?

Quote:

I'm really diggin' the way the volume scale is reflecting in your Bling-Bling knobs!!! Me thinks me gonna have to see if they carry those in chrome
biggrin.gif
I don't even have it yet and I'm contemplating pimpin' it out!!!

You bet. They also have the chrome ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 740
Dang it... getting wallet out again
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 740
The front bezel of MKIV looks a bit taller and wider than in MKV. Are they the same size?

Jan 26, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, no gain needed. The biggest load I have is 300ohms and it handles those with ease. It is rated up to 600ohm loads.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering if this amp suitable for low impedance headphones, such as my Denon D2000 (25 ohm).

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #24 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The front bezel of MKIV looks a bit taller and wider than in MKV. Are they the same size?

Even though it looks like that in the Pic, they are the exact same size! The MKIVse is deeper, but it's feet fit on top of the MKV.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if this amp suitable for low impedance headphones, such as my Denon D2000 (25 ohm).

I really couldn't say. 32ohms is the "spec" low, but you should check with DavidZ at Little-Dot first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #26 of 740
At last,the long awaited review from mr penchum has arrived
biggrin.gif

thanks for the great review, really enjoy reading it.
i agree with you 100% about the description of the
accuracy,dynamic, detailed, beautiful soundstage presentation of the mkv. this got to be the best value for money amp i had heard so far.
i dont have a Sennheiser headphone, but had listen to some1's briefly in the past, it sound musical but kind of veiled, something not to my liking,this made me wonder the sound signature of the mkv would synergy well with the sennheiser , the power, dynamic of the mkv would open the sucker up, now thanks to your review, i am itching for a sennheiser headphone
tongue.gif

about the balanced amp, i actually bought two mkv to try out my balanced amp experiment, but never get to do it because i am still on the look out for a balanced source. but when i first listen to the mkv single ended, i was very impressed with it's soundstage, channel separation presentation, ,this made me wonder do i really need to buy two mkv for a balanced setup? i never heard of a balanced amp, but the mkv sound very similar to stuffs i read about balanced amp. i will let u know once i got my 2x mkv in balanced mode going .

Jan 27, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At last,the long awaited review from mr penchum has arrived
biggrin.gif

thanks for the great review, really enjoy reading it.
i agree with you 100% about the description of the
accuracy,dynamic, detailed, beautiful soundstage presentation of the mkv. this got to be the best value for money amp i had heard so far.
i dont have a Sennheiser headphone, but had listen to some1's briefly in the past, it sound musical but kind of veiled, something not to my liking,this made me wonder the sound signature of the mkv would synergy well with the sennheiser , the power, dynamic of the mkv would open the sucker up, now thanks to your review, i am itching for a sennheiser headphone
tongue.gif

about the balanced amp, i actually bought two mkv to try out my balanced amp experiment, but never get to do it because i am still on the look out for a balanced source. but when i first listen to the mkv single ended, i was very impressed with it's soundstage, channel separation presentation, ,this made me wonder do i really need to buy two mkv for a balanced setup? i never heard of a balanced amp, but the mkv sound very similar to stuffs i read about balanced amp. i will let u know once i got my 2x mkv in balanced mode going .

Thanks Minivan! I too was concerned about staying single ended or switching to balanced. But after digging deep into the MKV, I am so glad I bought it now. This is soooo good for single ended and it has many of the advantages you would expect from a balanced setup. As a side note, I'm not sure I want my music sounding any better than this, without some kind of new hi-tech format change that really is better across the board. Star Trek data cube or something!!
biggrin.gif
Ow, before I forget, I find myself listening to the MKV with my HD-600s a lot. There is something special about the HD-600 and solid state, I just can't put my finger on it yet, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with decay. When I have a clearer head, I'll do some more critical listening and see if I can't nail it down. Have a good one!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 740
I will throw my two cents in here for those who are out there deciding on whether to make a purchase of the MKV. The customer service is truly impressive, even after some very pointed questions the responses were incredibly fast, responsive and detailed.
It took four days to ship to my address and was packed well. I have now burned it in almost 25 hours continuously and my initial impressions are these.... For the $350 outlay I have heard nothing that gives you such performance. I was really looking for something to put into the bedroom for late night visits with Geddy and the boys and some Floyd. I was shocked that I have been able to throw my CIMP collection in (Sophie Duner is awesome) and have heard everything that these phenomenal recordings bring to life. Both my Grado's and my 650's perform as expected. A giant killer at this price indeed.
It needs a black volume knob and the facia is pedestrian, but for the $$$ vs the performance, it is so far a no brainer.
I will post more as I spend more time with this little box of joy.

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #29 of 740
Awesome review Penchum as always.

With low impedance headphones like the D2000 you might here a bit of hissing. This amp is more suited to headphones like the HD650.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 740
Quote:

Originally Posted by sej2112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will throw my two cents in here for those who are out there deciding on whether to make a purchase of the MKV. The customer service is truly impressive, even after some very pointed questions the responses were incredibly fast, responsive and detailed.
It took four days to ship to my address and was packed well. I have now burned it in almost 25 hours continuously and my initial impressions are these.... For the $350 outlay I have heard nothing that gives you such performance. I was really looking for something to put into the bedroom for late night visits with Geddy and the boys and some Floyd. I was shocked that I have been able to throw my CIMP collection in (Sophie Duner is awesome) and have heard everything that these phenomenal recordings bring to life. Both my Grado's and my 650's perform as expected. A giant killer at this price indeed.
It needs a black volume knob and the facia is pedestrian, but for the $$$ vs the performance, it is so far a no brainer.
I will post more as I spend more time with this little box of joy.

Don't forget that ConneXion has the really nice heavy knobs. They have the black you might want!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back