Zynsonix Audio Cable Impression
Mar 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 28
Hi,
First time posting, long time fly on the wall. This is long overdue but thanks to Krum's post, I thought I'd share my impressions of a mod done to my DT770 by Zynsonix.

This isn't my first experience with Bryan since he recabled my Koss KSC75s, and it was a no brainer thinking of going back to him for my DT770. The main goal for me was to make the cables detachable since I've had another good quality set of cans destroyed cause the cables snagged on my seat when I was overzealous in my attempt to get to the door. After a few email threads later, Bryan helped guide me with this mod.

You can see the cool work done here by Bryan:
http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2015/05/beyerdynamic-balanced-removable-4-pin.html

I've been enjoying the great work done by Bryan and will definitely be using him again.
Thanks for letting me share!

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 28
I bought this Xev Headphone Cable for Oppo PM-3 Headphone and use it with a FIIO X5 3rd generation and I was amazed with the sound from the time iI started to listen to the music, there was so much detail and the separation of the instruments and clean vocals. Good treble,good mid range and good bass...this cable is excellent for the price and I would recommend it to any one.
George Lee

May 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #18 of 28
So I'm another quiet observer, usually from afar, but decided to share my thoughts too. If others are in the same position I was, then I hope this post helps.

I'd decided to get my DT880s recabled/modded with dual mini-XLRs. Mainly I wanted the detachable cable too, though not to avoid snags, more to make it easier to store or swap cables later. I also wanted a split balanced re-wire, because I like the look, and can have the option of using a balanced amp down the road.

Anyway, I did a ton of research (including reading this thread), and the overwhelming consensus was that Bryan does great work, and is easy to work with. Ultimately, I decided Zynsonix was the way to go.

The end result is better than I'd hoped. I obviously got the headphones for music, and I really love the sound, but now they look pretty darn sexy too. I'm mainly posting though, because the quality of the workmanship is top-notch. Others have mentioned that too, and you get a sense from the pictures. But I think it deserves repeating: the workmanship is just fantastic. Bryan clearly enjoys what he does, and he's very good at it. Very highly recommended.

Cheers!

Mar 28, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #19 of 28
I've been an audiophile into high-end audio for many years, but only recently got into headphone listening. I got to listen to my friend's headphone system (Woo Audio and HIFIMAN HE-1000 V2). One listen and I was hooked. But, I did not want to spend the kind of money my friend did, which was $1000s. So I picked up a pair of Sennheiser 650s on AudioMart, and rather than get a headphone AMP/DAC, etc., I opted for Bryan Converter Box and integrated it in my present speaker system (Decware Torii III / Birdland Audio DAC / Cal Labs Transport / Decware Speakers). WOW!! What amazed me right off the bat about the Box was how it exhibited no signs of a signature of its own... it simply did its job, and did so spades. In other words, the overall sound quality and musicality of my speaker system, which is superb, was now playing through my 650s. But being a typical audiophile, I had to toggle back and forth between headphone listening and speaker listening, using a dozen or so different tracks I use for evaluation purposes, and COULD NOT HEAR ANY discernible alteration or degradation in the sound. The Box is totally neutral, which is an incredible feat in itself. Another thing I should mention is the build quality. Outstanding!! (Nothing more to be said.) So for very little money for headphones and the Converter Box (under $500), I now have all the enjoyment of my speaker system in my new headphone system.... and I could not be more pleased. Thank you, Bryan / Zynsonix

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 28
This is a long-overdue post for a Zynsonix XEV cable I purchased from Bryan around September last year. I run a set of Oppo PM-3 cans powered by an Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp (can't recommend these two highly enough - and in my office pod environment open-back headphones aren't an option). The stock Oppo cable's very good, but I wondered if I couldn't eke a little more detail out of the setup. Enter Zynsonix.

After ordering the XEV cable with ViaBlue connector upgrade, it was dispatched in about 10 days (Bryan hand-makes each cable to order). Unfortunately, the port on the PM-3s is quite deep-set and the plug couldn't be fully inserted. I emailed Bryan who immediately apologised, produced a brand new cable (with ultra-slim connector) within a few days and insisted that I keep the previous cable. THIS is customer service at its best!

I cannot rate the XEV cable highly enough. The overall impression is that extra level of sheer detail this cable brings. The Future Sound of London track, "Just a screwin' Idiot" has a very subtle and extremely high-pitched 'trill' in the background near the start of the track. I had never heard this before with the stock Oppo cable, but it is clearly audible with the Zynsonix cable. Other tracks have an extra layer of 'presence' which I think largely comes from a slight boost at the very top end of the audible spectrum. Overall sound is very neutral which complements the Oppos beautifully. Build quality is exemplary; I especially love the blue leather Zynsonix tag on the cable, and the ViaBlue connectors feel chunky and solid.

Unfortunately, I left my entire setup on a concrete ledge outside my office and drove off without it (after a really long day...), and it was gone by the next morning. That said, it's all insured and after doing plenty of in-depth research as to what to replace it with, I'll be purchasing exactly the same setup.

The very first thing to be ordered will be another Zynsonix XEV cable. Thanks again Bryan - I'll be placing an order very shortly.

Jun 4, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 28
Awesome cables!
C9E17D91-02B0-471A-A8D7-EF0E4C645F57.jpeg 207AB150-EFE6-49C4-BC80-44AE6802FC2E.jpeg

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #22 of 28
I know this thread hasn't been active for a while but I just had to say how much I like my cable I got from Bryan. I got a Ballista that fits my Ananda, HP-3, Elear, and Sundara and it is great. I've never been one that thinks cables improve SQ but I swear my Ananda and HP-3 (I've only used it with those so far) sound a touch more resolving. I got the cable because it's good quality and not to improve the SQ but the fact it does is a big plus.

If I ever need a new cable for anything or if I ever need to have a headphone re-cabled I know where I'm going from now on. The service was top notch and he responded to emails promptly. I wish I had the money to get one for my HD700 and Audioquest headphones but that will just have to wait.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 28
Five years ago I sent my T5p (1st gen) to Beyerdynamic to change the cable. They replaced it with the exact same cable for $100. A couple of months ago that cable started to disintegrate. Thank you Beyerdynamic for the superb quality of the parts you use.

So I looked around for someone to replace the cable and I found Bryan on google. His prices seemed fair and he had a good reputation here on headfi. I chose to replace the awesome stock cabl...err...wire with Bryan's top of the line Ballista cable.

thumbnail_IMG_2622.jpg

This is what I got back. The work is impeccable, the cable is beautiful, the price is fair and I got my T5p back very quickly.

I hear an improvement in the detail with the Ballista, but I would need to have another T5p with the stock cable at hand so I could switch back and forth in order to tell just how much improvement there is. There is no doubt that this cable is an improvement (night and day) over the thing Beyerdynamic decided to attach to the original T5p.

Thank you Bryan. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #25 of 28
Hi Folks,
New to the forum and new to the high end headphone gig. I got to Zynsonix and Bryan completely by accident. I had a couple of questions on balanced cables and headphone gear. I went web surfing and emailed a few businesses. Bryan was the first to answer, within a few hours and he not only answered my questions but gave me some money saving advice. I was also breathing new life into a 2.1 system, so I decided to get a bit more into this high end headphone stuff, and started to read a bunch of reviews on companies and products and I communicated with Bryan a few times. He always responded promptly and with pearls to consider. Never tried to sell me anything, just straightforward answers. After considering his opinions and my own reading, I decided to go with an Audeze LCD2 and a XEV balanced cable from Bryan. I have received both just before the long weekend, and I have been enjoying my vinyls played on a Cambridge Audio Alva TT with the Audeze and XEV cable hooked to a Topping A90 headphone amp. Wow - man do people ever know what they have been missing - a move from my LSTNs to the Audeze - a whole world suddenly opened up. Frankly I did not even know this world existed until recently. I am simply blown away. Next to test out the Audeze XEV combo with my Topping D90 MQA DAC. The rest of the system is a solid mid priced offering with a Cambridge Audio CX A81 integrated amp, a Cambridge Audio CXN V2 streamer/DAC and a B&K 4420 power amp (an oldie but a beauty). This is going to be a good weekend. Bryan has been thoroughly amazing; his service, advice and unassuming nature of communication were extremely refreshing. Zynsonix is now my first stop for all cabling and interconnect needs and I will be happy to recommend folks to him who want to explore this whole other world of music. Thanks Bryan.
Nani

Jan 8, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #26 of 28
As with many of the posts above I have lurked here but never made an account it appears. But I felt the need to post about my experience with Bryan as well. A quick blurb about myself. My father was a devout audio nut. So I was raised around amazing gear. In 93-94 I got my first cans. And I never looked back. I’ve worked in the home audio industry more than 20 years. From custom home installation, sales, and as a rep for some heavy hitters in the audiophile world. This post is not so much about the product but on the quality of service and his knowledge.
Just a light skim of the posts here makes it clear my experience was norm with Bryan and Zynsonix. As with the post above I was looking at getting some new headphones for some studio work. I decided on the AKG 712. As I am a fan of their pro audio gear. I began looking for balanced cables to mate with my gear. And I found a few places selling 3 pin mini XLR to 4 pin male XLR. But it was bothering me that I couldn’t figure out how they made another leg magical appear. After digging I came across his DIY blog and site. Within a few hours he replied and confirmed my suspicion. After some emails back and forth I decided to change gears and go with a different set of headphones. I had been bouncing back and forth as to what cans I was going to get and the AKG were back ordered. Making my decision that much easier. Even if I hadn’t changed my mind I was going to work with him on a few purchases anyway. His honest opinions, even if it meant going elsewhere to get something better suited to my needs, have now made me a loyal customer for all my associated needs. Now, more than ever, we need to support small businesses. So working with Bryan was a win win for me. Made in USA, small business, amazing price points (I’m not sure how he turns a profit on his hand terminated, made to order, cables. but I’m not going to complain one bit!), and impeccable service? It’s a no brainer! The main problem now is explaining to my much better half why I need new cables for all my headphones.

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #27 of 28
I ordered two custom cables and a balanced headphone selector box from Zynsonix. For the switchbox, I opted to go with an upgraded Elma switch. I'm very happy to not hear any audible difference when the switchbox is in the signal chain. I'll definitely consider buying again from Bryan the next time I need a quality cable.

IMG_2812.JPG

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 28
Here are a few video reviews from AB's Sound Advice AZ/AU. You get to enjoy a brief review and Ashley's nice New Zealand accent all at once.

Ashley does a lot of video reviews of headphone related gear so it's easy to get lost on a binge :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back