Zune Vs iPod
Oct 3, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetzilla
yes it is, as the ipod sounds like crap. I believe most people will agree the ipod is not one of the better sounding mp3 players. I've used creative, sandisk, and iriver players, all have sounded better.

I don't agree with that. If you said Cowon players sound better then yea...hands down. However the players you mentioned the iPod sounds the same as those. However it's your opinion

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #32 of 58
I think the safest bet is that it probably sounds a heck of a lot like the Toshiba Gigabeat (average, not great), since it's based on that hardware platform.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #33 of 58
how about we wait to have a SQ debate until WE'VE ALL HEARD THEM BOTH. I've listened to a 5g iPod, iRiver H120, Rio Karma and Creative Zen Micro side by side. IMO (that means In My Opinion) the ladder goes Karma > H120 > Micro > iPod. Do I think it would be easy in light of the other DAPs I've listened to, to best the iPod? It seems like it would not. That being said I have nowhere near the grasp of how difficult it is to get a DAP to sound good that I would need for an intelligent debate, and this is coming from a guy with 3 years of electrical engineering under his belt. That being said, I've never heard a gigabeat. I've never heard a Zune. And I'm going to hold off on any SQ comments until I can hear all 6 side by side. I think they're both ugly, but the Zune less so. Can we get back mildly on topic now? Weren't we talking about the asthetics of the players?

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetzilla
yes it is, as the ipod sounds like crap. I believe most people will agree the ipod is not one of the better sounding mp3 players. I've used creative, sandisk, and iriver players, all have sounded better.

You're speaking though your chapeau. The line out of the iPod is as good as most midpriced CD players. That's more than enough sound quality for a portable DAP. If it sounded bad to you, you were probably using unamped headphones that weren't suited to the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #35 of 58
Engadget just put up a good summary of what the Zune's wireless can and can't do:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/02/z...hless-for-now/

Basically, the only thing you can do is send songs and pictures to other Zunes. Songs received are subject to the 3 day/3 listen trial and deleted on the next sync. It's confirmed that you can't sync with your PC wirelessly or stream songs from your PC to the Zune.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
It's confirmed that you can't sync with your PC wirelessly or stream songs from your PC to the Zune.

That killed it. Now the wireless is just another useless feature.

Oct 3, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I think the safest bet is that it probably sounds a heck of a lot like the Toshiba Gigabeat (average, not great), since it's based on that hardware platform.

Assessment of the Toshiba Gigabeat SQ from Anythingbutipod.com>>
"The quality of audio will suffice for your average user that will be using stock earbuds, but will fail to win over an audiophile. Compared to many other MP3 players, I found this player to be rather average. The highs are a bit exaggerated and the lows are a bit weak. "

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #38 of 58
i wish i could find the article i read last night. this editor thinks it will start a teenage revolution, ad hoc wireless in the middle of class, to send pictures, music, videos and SMS (or maybe just plane txt) messages!

also, the zune does have lineout, i saw it in a picture

Oct 3, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 58
blinx says:
Quote:

this editor thinks it will start a teenage revolution, ad hoc wireless in the middle of class, to send pictures, music, videos and SMS (or maybe just plane txt) messages!

I agree. The viral aspect of the new Zune should not be underrated.

FYI:

CNET editors' review gave the Karma an overall score of 7.0 and Users gave it a score of 6.1;
dapreview gave the Karma and overall score of 92 and Users gave it a score of: 80;

H120:
CNET editors' review gave the H120 an overall score of 7.3 and Users gave it a score of 8.1;
I could not find a review.

Micro:
CNET editors' review gave the Micro an overall score of 8.3 and Users gave it a score of 7.1;
dapreview: I could not find a rating, but they did say: "I'd go for the iPod nano or iRiver H10 instead"

30 gb 5th gen iPod:
CNET editors' review gave the iPod an overall score of 8.0 and Users gave it a score of 7.2;
dapreview gave the iPod and overall score of 90 and I could not find a Users Rating. It should be added that dapreview give the iPod a dapreview's Top Picks award.

With my freshly updated iPod, I go from my house, to my car, to work and then back again. Seemlessly and automitically - news, weather, npr, twit, Hardball, Countdown, bbc, new music and video are with me. Add to this the fact that there are 100's of cases and add-on.

I stand by my statement, some dap's are better and some are worse than the iPod.

For most of the iPod detractors, any difference is in your head and not your ears.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx
i wish i could find the article i read last night. this editor thinks it will start a teenage revolution, ad hoc wireless in the middle of class, to send pictures, music, videos and SMS (or maybe just plane txt) messages!

It is pretty much comfirmed that the wireless of Zune will only be used to share the drm music and photos for now. You can not use it to do anything else not even sync with your PC.

Oct 3, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #41 of 58
Decidedly this is more than a bit of a pro-iPod focused look at the Zune, but take a look at 10 iPod vs. Zune Myths.

zuneburg.png

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Decidedly this is more than a bit of a pro-iPod focused look at the Zune, but take a look at 10 iPod vs. Zune Myths.

that was a very interesting read.

Oct 3, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Decidedly this is more than a bit of a pro-iPod focused look

Definitely. Off the top of my head, four of those ten "myths" can be instantly refuted.

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Alot of it makes sense. The Zune really is just a ripoff...but hey people spend thier money however they want...
All the zune is going to do is take customers away from the already struggling WMA DAP market... Microsoft should have just sat this one out. There are other companies that actually have something to offer in thier players except another Me Too! product

Oct 3, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #45 of 58
3X0 says,
Quote:

Definitely. Off the top of my head, four of those ten "myths" can be instantly refuted.

Answer One is:

and,

Answer Two is:

and,

Answer Three is:

and,

Answer Four is:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back