Zune Vs iPod
Oct 2, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solitary1
Actually, with the release of the new iPods and the iTunes upgrade, they do 640x480 now.

link please. I haven't read anything about that...it's 640x 480 for tv output only...

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 58
The actual screen is 320x240. The videos stored on the iPod can be stored in 640x480 for the purpose of TV-out and other such fare, however when played back on the iPod the device automatically downscales the video to 320x240.

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 58
I personally really like the zune. The interface is really nice, and the controls work really well. I am probably the only person who hates the click wheel and touch sensetive interfaces like that. I like to feel the clicks, so I know how many times I move the curser or whatever. I like being able to work the player through my pants pocket, without needing to take it out. I am also liking the idea of the subscription service. If it's got enough of the music I like I probably will subscribe to it.

It does look a considerable amount bigger than the ipod, though I am coming from an iriver h320, so anything is smaller than that thing. Size isn't a huge issue for me, as long as it fits in my pocket.

The only things I'm waiting for before making a decision are the sound quality and battery life. I'm assuming the battery life will be around 15 hours, which should be enough. And I bet it will sound similar to the toshiba gigabeat or whatever it's based on. As long as it sounds better than the ipod I'll probably get one, though that won't be too hard to do.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #19 of 58
battery life is 12hours music and 3.5 video. zune looks less and less appealing to me as more info is revealed.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #20 of 58
Wetzilla says:
Quote:

I'm assuming the battery life will be around 15 hours, which should be enough.

I would love to see real numbers. Particularly after downloading and/or uploading an album.

Quote:

As long as it sounds better than the ipod I'll probably get one, though that won't be too hard to do.

If you don't like Apple, iPod, iTunes, Steve Jobs or MacIntosh Apples that's fine. It's a free country. The statement: "won't be hard to do", is simply not true.

Oct 2, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
The statement: "won't be hard to do", is simply not true.

I respectfully disagree (without Rockbox, of course). But we shouldn't let such an overplayed debate culminate for the umpteenth time. Best to respect each other's opinions.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
Best to respect each other's opinions.

It is not just my opinion, read the reviews.

Are there better daps, Yes.

Are there worse daps, Yes.

The statement "won't be hard to do", implies a level of quality that is at or near the bottom. This is not the case.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

The statement "won't be hard to do", implies a level of quality that is at or near the bottom. This is not the case.

And you know this how?
wink.gif

I'm not going to judge it until I see it. However, all indications are that its only reason for survival is the name behind it.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 58
Wetzilla says:
Quote:

And I bet it will sound similar to the toshiba gigabeat or whatever it's based on. As long as it sounds better than the ipod I'll probably get one, though that won't be too hard to do.

Gamemako says to pds6:
"won't be hard to do"

Quote:

And you know this how?

I'm not going to judge it until I see it. However, all indications are that its only reason for survival is the name behind it.

Would you kindly review the thread. It is Wetzella who states that the iPod "won't be hard to do" and Not I.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #25 of 58
Just because it "won't be hard" to do doesn't mean it'll be easy to do.

It's been done by many other manufacturers before. Considering Microsoft's pulling this one off, it wouldn't be too fat-fetched for them to pull off some winning quality.

Then again, it's always the end-user's ear and gear that matters the most.
etysmile.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0
Just because it "won't be hard" to do doesn't mean it'll be easy to do.

It's been done by many other manufacturers before. Considering Microsoft's pulling this one off, it wouldn't be too fat-fetched for them to pull off some winning quality.

Then again, it's always the end-user's ear and gear that matters the most.
etysmile.gif

We Agree

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 58
Quote:

If you don't like Apple, iPod, iTunes, Steve Jobs or MacIntosh Apples that's fine. It's a free country. The statement: "won't be hard to do", is simply not true.

yes it is, as the ipod sounds like crap. I believe most people will agree the ipod is not one of the better sounding mp3 players. I've used creative, sandisk, and iriver players, all have sounded better.

Oct 3, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #29 of 58
That's pretty harsh. I just think that the iPod needs some small modifications (i.e. Rockbox and/or line-out through a nice dock to a nice amp) to really shine, but I certainly wouldn't call it that terrible. If I were to complain, I'd just say it was a bit "boring", but it didn't sound outright bad.

Though perceived sound quality depends on the end-ear, I guess. Your opinion may be entirely justified depending on what you're hearing.

I'm just waiting on the Zune's sound quality more than anything else.

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetzilla
yes it is, as the ipod sounds like crap. I believe most people will agree the ipod is not one of the better sounding mp3 players. I've used creative, sandisk, and iriver players, all have sounded better.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back