Zune HD will have EQ!
Aug 13, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately the firmware is encrypted so it's nearly impossible. Why that's acceptable for a device a consumer has bought and paid for is beyond me but I put up with it for the sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Back to the X5L. Installing Rockbox is as simple as copying some files over and resetting the player while it's plugged in. Done. Zune? Find a supercomputer, break the key in a few decades, jump through all sorts of hoops to get the firmware flashed.

I know why it's impossible right now, but I was just saying it would be nice. It's actually kind of sad that nerds in their spare time can make better firmware than people who get paid to by big corporations.

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by goody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the zune looks awesome !! i live in the uk.anybody willing to buy me one when it comes out or know any stores that ship to uk..

You can try with these people:
Microsoft Zune Accessories - ZuneThings

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #110 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Eleutherian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the process of patenting an automated system for audio validation using spectral analysis that I helped develop with the guidance of a gentleman who did a lot of the original foundational work in perceptual encoding, including making significant contributions to MP3 and AAC...

Sounds interesting. Though I have a creeping suspicion this may fall into another category you're forbidden to discuss, what are the practical applications of automated audio validation (or what are they going to be)? Please tell me it will be used for something far cooler than DRM...
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #112 of 164
Quote:

It is actually an extremely serious security concern that this could be done with any player that uses DRM. Getting that far is most of the way to the "keys to the kingdom" so to speak. It is standard practice when licensing content from distributors to use with DRM that there be contractual requirements for the integrity of that DRM system to be protected.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm sorry that we know how to build a much more secure device than some other folks.
tongue.gif

The real issue is that unsigned firmware can't be loaded- I understand and appreciate the need to protect partners' IP with encryption but it could have been done in a more poweruser-friendly manner.

Upon more consideration of the issue I do see where MS is coming from. I realize that MS is selling a DAP with a specific OS and that's what the customer agreed to buy. It's not a requirement for MS to go out of their way to make it easy for others to use the hardware to their liking. Additionally, they can eliminate potential complaints from people who inadvertently bricked their device with Rockbox or similar. Yet a more moderate approach creates happier consumers in the long run and helps to win over more technically minded customers. It's certainly possible to have encrypted firmware but to also retain the ability to overwrite the flash with software of the user's choice.

I love the Zune hardware and appreciate the provided OS but I'd love the option of alternative firmware so I can customize it to my liking. A small percentage of users, yes, I understand that. It's just that I see the encryption as a stifling design choice that's keeping me from enjoying the Zune to the fullest.

Aug 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #114 of 164
Quote:

Just to continue playing devil's advocate though, MS did try to pursue a much more open-ended model for quite some time... It was only Apple's complete market dominance that made us consider an end-to-end locked down model...

Kind of ironic really...

And look where it got us. A Zune with no Rockbox.
frown.gif
The Zune isn't bad, I loved my 30 GB and I love my 120 GB, but they'd be pretty much perfect with a stable port of Rockbox. If you haven't already looked into Rockbox, check it out as soon as you can. I'm sure there's youtube videos of it in use if you're not allowed to mess with a non-Zune.

Is it true that it wouldn't cost Microsoft or Apple any money to support FLAC since it's open source? If so, why haven't they supported it yet?

Quote:

I'm hardly an audiophile by local standards

IE7's are a good start.

BTW, nice use of Milton tags. I've never seen that done before.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #115 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by goody /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the zune looks awesome !! i live in the uk.anybody willing to buy me one when it comes out or know any stores that ship to uk..

I'm sure zunethings.co.uk would sort you out in time.

I'll be waiting to see what the Zii brings rather then the Zune.

Chances are we'll get to buy the Zii in a shop here!

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

Let me try to cast this in a different light...

Imagine you are a zune owner, you have a zune pass and you have your device set up to make purchases via wifi. Imagine you lose it, and someone uses rockbox or similar methods to compromise your device and gain access to the secrets store and/or the DRM keyvault. Imagine they then go on a downloading spree, and run up a bunch of charges on your credit card.

We have an obligation to protect our customers from exposure like that, both in an ethical and contractual sense. Not only that, if the attacker were particularly clever he could do some much more significant damage to MS...

When I learned this was possible on certain products I was completely shocked. If the Zune were compromised in this manner I would expect there to be a couple empty offices the next day...

Wow. I had no idea that would be possible. I stick with CDs, so the thought never crossed my mind.

Quote:

So can you blame us that we picked our own proprietary codecs and the only two others that have statistically significant populations among consumers? (I'm guessing the answer is yes
wink_face.gif
)

After that, I certainly see where you're coming from, but FLAC support would still be nice. I guess companies like Sandisk and Cowon don't make their own audio codecs, so they'd be more open to supporting OGG and FLAC. Just so you know, I'm happy with WMA lossless.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #119 of 164
The final specs are available. Audio codec support looks the same as the previous iterations. Video support is WMV(HD), Mpeg 4 and H.264- no word on if it supports the popular Matroska container.

Engadget

Aug 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #120 of 164
What's the deal with only 2 colors that are tied to the capacity?

What if I wanted a black 32 GB version?

Also how silly is it that 32Gb is the max capacity?

Ms wants me to put audio, HD video and games on this device but just cut the capacity by 3 times compared to the 120Gb model.

They need to step up and at least offer a 64Gb version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back