Zu Mobius vs Silver Dragon Vs Equinox for HD 650s
Jan 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

junebug654

Head-Fier
I'm getting my 650s within a few days and I'm wondering what cable I should upgrade to.  I've heard that upgrading the stock cable does create a cleaner and less-veiled sound, which is what I'm looking for.  I've heard excellent things about the Zu, SD, and Equinox cables, but I still can't really decide.  I don't have the option of buying a cable and testing it, so my first choice is my final choice.  I'm planning on using the e7/e9 dac/amp to drive the 650s.

Also my music taste is classical, classic rock, and techno.   I love being able to hear the bass booming on my headphones without going overboard.  Crisp bass is something I find hard to really find in a good set of cans, or at least my old phones before the 650s.  However I want the ability to hear a classical composition and actually hear the bow of the violin sliding on the strings, or even listen to a Judas Priest song and hear the slow guitar solos while hearing every single note being plucked.

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 7
you ve not heard the headphone yet, but already choosing a cable from the "price be damned" category for it... I would suggest not to hurry with the cable and just see how they sound for you with the stock one, and after burn in... maybe you won't need a cable; or maybe you won't like it's sound at all, and in that case cable won't fix it

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 7
For me, the Zu cable produced too much bass for my tastes; I prefer the Silver Dragon for my 650's. No one but you can make the call for yourself, though. Try the standard cable first, then try to buy a used one of the others in the For Sale forum.

Jan 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Well what is the difference between the sound that each of these cables provide specifically with the HD 650s?   Of course I'll test my headphones before I buy an expensive cable, but what type of sound the does Zu add and what type of sound does the SD or Equinox create?

Also I'm only choosing from the price be dammed list because I like to get one cable and stick with it.  I'm expecting the 650s to last a while and I want it's gear to last a while also, so I just wanna see how the SQ differs between it's so-called best cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back