ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS
Mar 10, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #181 of 199
So the DAC chip is working with USB audio Pro is it working with Poweramp 3 that's my question if I plug into my phone through micro USB into an amp is it using the DAC inside my phone or is it only if I use USB audio Pro

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #182 of 199
I have the LG V10 and the ZTE Axon 7 (Global Version).

After Update to B01 Android 7.0 the Axon 7  boost the headphone output to LG V10 Level´s :) No EU Crap anymore. YEAH

When i compare the Prices from 370 € (LG) and 280 € (ZTE) the ZTE was the better deal.

With the headphones i use (Bayerdynamic DT770 LE 32 Ohm ; Audio Technica AHT 50 x ; Sennheiser IE8 ;  BoseQuietComfort 25) i can´t say one of the phones is better.

Both sound realy good. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #183 of 199
I just picked up the ZTE Axon 7.  I was quite shocked as it was able to drive my headphones (although near max) volume without an external amp.  I tried the HD650, Audeze LCD2, and Fostex TH900 headphones.  It was able to drive all to comfortable listening levels.  I was especially shocked when it was able to drive the planer LCD2s.   I then tried it with a Cayin C5 external amp (that has been modded) and I must say that the sound is impressive in comparison daps and tabletop systems. I did a quick comparison to the Plenue P1, Onkyo DP-X1, Oppo HA-2, and Oppo Ha-1.  I must say that this phone has the best audio quality I have heard in a mobile phone.  I prefer the AKM sound signature in comparison to ESS offerings such as in LG's V20.  I find ESS to be shy on the lower end of frequencies and I like to have my bass.  I was originally a Samsung Note person and I have tried the new S8.  I went to best buy with my HD650 to try many of the new phones.  The S8 was one of the most disappointing in sound although I didn't know what settings it was on, etc.   The Samsungs were built like tanks and through many falls, getting dirty, etc with years of use, it still works.  I hope the case is the same with ZTE.  

The ZTE Axon has a very similar sound signature to Cary Audio's Dac 200ts. (it also uses AKM dacs).  I was not disappointed with ZTE Axon 7 when it comes to audio quality in a mobile phone.  I only wish that the battery was removable so I could replace it with an extended battery but I will just have to live with it.  

One question I do have, is there a way to disable the locking screen wall paper (ZTE Locker).  There doesn't seem to be any option and I have tried No lock apps.  Thanks. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #184 of 199
Hate to sorta necro this but its like the only thread on it that I see. I've just gotten my Axon 7. Do other owners feel it really needs an amp or is it plenty enough for powering headphones with average impedances of under or well under 100Ohms and sensitivities of >100db/v?

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #185 of 199
Hate to sorta necro this but its like the only thread on it that I see. I've just gotten my Axon 7. Do other owners feel it really needs an amp or is it plenty enough for powering headphones with average impedances of under or well under 100Ohms and sensitivities of >100db/v?

You might need a DAC/AMP for really high impedance headphones. Just to spare your battery and to have proper volume.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #186 of 199

It does need amp or you should go for DAP if you want to get your cans to it utmost potential. Audiophile smartphone is for easy-to-drive IEM and earbud and some Full size since it is mainly for portable purpose.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #187 of 199
You might need a DAC/AMP for really high impedance headphones. Just to spare your battery and to have proper volume.
AS mentioned, the impedance is generally going to be less or significantly less than 100, which afaik is far from considered 'high'. Talking in the 38-62Ohm ball park, with sensitivities of 100-112db/v. Things like the K7xx, 598, ad700x, ect.

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #188 of 199
AS mentioned, the impedance is generally going to be less or significantly less than 100, which afaik is far from considered 'high'. Talking in the 38-62Ohm ball park, with sensitivities of 100-112db/v. Things like the K7xx, 598, ad700x, ect.

It's borderline. Otherwise it's fine. Unless you are pushing over 50 ohms. Then it may need it.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #189 of 199
It's borderline. Otherwise it's fine. Unless you are pushing over 50 ohms. Then it may need it.
That's what I figured. It seems to do perfectly fine pushing 32ohm iems. Volume controls suck though; control isnt fine enough, they jump from 'slightly not loud enough' to 'slightly too loud', think it jumps from 60-70% and 65% would be perfect. Might have to look into rooting it to change audio settings? Not really sure. I probably wont use the bigger phones with it anyway; too valuable and not really portable. Most likely the good Koss clipons, which are typically 32ohms too. Most portable amp of all is the one that comes with your phone after all, so if you can drive without an external one all the better.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #190 of 199
I just picked up the axon 7 to use as another dap - I cant tell any difference between standard and super - doesnt matter which player I try - stock - neutron - jet. All my files are 24 bit flac and listening with isine10. Is it like the lgv20 where you have to trick the dac with headphones less then 50 ohms ?

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #191 of 199
I just picked up the ZTE Axon 7. I was quite shocked as it was able to drive my headphones (although near max) volume without an external amp. I tried the HD650, Audeze LCD2, and Fostex TH900 headphones. It was able to drive all to comfortable listening levels. I was especially shocked when it was able to drive the planer LCD2s. I then tried it with a Cayin C5 external amp (that has been modded) and I must say that the sound is impressive in comparison daps and tabletop systems. I did a quick comparison to the Plenue P1, Onkyo DP-X1, Oppo HA-2, and Oppo Ha-1. I must say that this phone has the best audio quality I have heard in a mobile phone. I prefer the AKM sound signature in comparison to ESS offerings such as in LG's V20. I find ESS to be shy on the lower end of frequencies and I like to have my bass. I was originally a Samsung Note person and I have tried the new S8. I went to best buy with my HD650 to try many of the new phones. The S8 was one of the most disappointing in sound although I didn't know what settings it was on, etc. The Samsungs were built like tanks and through many falls, getting dirty, etc with years of use, it still works. I hope the case is the same with ZTE.

The ZTE Axon has a very similar sound signature to Cary Audio's Dac 200ts. (it also uses AKM dacs). I was not disappointed with ZTE Axon 7 when it comes to audio quality in a mobile phone. I only wish that the battery was removable so I could replace it with an extended battery but I will just have to live with it.

One question I do have, is there a way to disable the locking screen wall paper (ZTE Locker). There doesn't seem to be any option and I have tried No lock apps. Thanks.
That is amazing and good to know that it is capabilities and Thanks

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #192 of 199
I just picked up the ZTE Axon 7. I was quite shocked as it was able to drive my headphones (although near max) volume without an external amp. I tried the HD650, Audeze LCD2, and Fostex TH900 headphones. It was able to drive all to comfortable listening levels. I was especially shocked when it was able to drive the planer LCD2s. I then tried it with a Cayin C5 external amp (that has been modded) and I must say that the sound is impressive in comparison daps and tabletop systems. I did a quick comparison to the Plenue P1, Onkyo DP-X1, Oppo HA-2, and Oppo Ha-1. I must say that this phone has the best audio quality I have heard in a mobile phone. I prefer the AKM sound signature in comparison to ESS offerings such as in LG's V20. I find ESS to be shy on the lower end of frequencies and I like to have my bass. I was originally a Samsung Note person and I have tried the new S8. I went to best buy with my HD650 to try many of the new phones. The S8 was one of the most disappointing in sound although I didn't know what settings it was on, etc. The Samsungs were built like tanks and through many falls, getting dirty, etc with years of use, it still works. I hope the case is the same with ZTE.

The ZTE Axon has a very similar sound signature to Cary Audio's Dac 200ts. (it also uses AKM dacs). I was not disappointed with ZTE Axon 7 when it comes to audio quality in a mobile phone. I only wish that the battery was removable so I could replace it with an extended battery but I will just have to live with it.

One question I do have, is there a way to disable the locking screen wall paper (ZTE Locker). There doesn't seem to be any option and I have tried No lock apps. Thanks.
Applying New Wallpapers
Follow these steps to set the wallpaper for the home screen and lock screen:

1. Touch the Home key > > Settings > All settings >Themes & wallpapers > Wallpapers.

2. Set the wallpaper for the home screen or the lock screen.

3. Touch Home screen wallpaper or Lock screen wallpaper and select a built-in static wallpaper, or touch Gallery to select a picture, crop it, and use it as the wallpaper.

4. While setting the lock screen wallpaper, touch ZTE Locker > Apply to use dynamically changing pictures for the lock screen.

5. Touch and hold an empty area of the home screen and select the Wallpapers tab. Select a built-in image, a live wallpaper, or an image from your gallery.

6. If you use ZTE Locker for the lock screen wallpaper, swipe up from the bottom of the lock screen and touch Lock screen settings to download new wallpapers, select a layout or choose wallpaper for today

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #193 of 199
I just picked up the axon 7 to use as another dap - I cant tell any difference between standard and super - doesnt matter which player I try - stock - neutron - jet. All my files are 24 bit flac and listening with isine10. Is it like the lgv20 where you have to trick the dac with headphones less then 50 ohms ?

It's not a night a day difference. I didn't notice at first, but I do hear a difference (using Spotify because I recently got it back from repair and have no music files on device). You might have to spend some time with it before you can start picking up on it.

No you don't need high impedance headphones to trigger anything. Even on the V20 the main benefit of 50 ohms headphones is the increased power output for high impedance headphone. I do wish they added a toggle button as some low impedance headphone would still benefit from the additional power (planar headphones and planar IEMs particularly).

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #194 of 199
I have found head phone Nirvana lol.
Axon 7 mini with usb audio player pro with the add on parametric eq. Set APP to play thru Android and variable bit rate. Yes and plenty loud enough using preamp on eq but what really made it was adding a Fiio A3 portable headphone amp. It will now drive any phones or iem and the sound is great for a portable set up. Try it !!!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #195 of 199
I have a question. Now that I have my mini sounding like I want I am gonna add a big sd card and start putting my music collection on it. My question is I now have usb audio player pro app on the phone internal storage. Should I move the app to the sd card also???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back