ZTE AXON 7-America's First HiFi Mobile Audio & Dolby ATMOS
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #166 of 199
  I know its not a problem with every unit but after so many models having reported issues its hard to ignore, and sad since Im a big fan of the LG v series. The axon 7 as a phone (not talking about SQ) overall to me is nicer to the v series because of the much better battery life and really great screen I really am a fan of that saturated look that oled screens provide with great black colors and its hard to enjoy your music with a dead battery. I do miss the secondary screen though I took it for granted but its nice having notification not pop up on the main screen, the other thing I miss is the more neutral sound of the v10 the axon is a bit more bottom heavy and the treble somehow sounds a little sharper. Overall the tonal balance of the axon 7 is not my usual preferred one for more critical listening but for mobile use it within my tolerance level.

I typically use my JH-13, TG334 and K10UA with my smartphones. Ironically I had ordered an ifi iematch before this whole bootloop on impulse and was wondering if I actually would use it now I can see if it can reduce the axon 7 noise that I can hear very faintly sometimes. Im also considering a Audioquest dragonfly red as alternative sound to have to choose from besides what the axon 7 gives since I spent less than on the phone in the first place.

Yes I noticed the Axon 7 to be bottom heavy too.  V20 sound is leaps and bounds better than Axon.  Your gonna miss your treble.  Especially since you have high end high quality iems, they will make v20 even better.

It sounds crazy to get the dragonfly.  Your going backwards.  By the time you try to make up for sound quality you will be then spent more than the cost of the v20.

Just order the v20 from a top rated seller used or new on Ebay that offers 30 day return.  If you dont like it return it. I didnt want to purchase it either but curiousity got the best of me.  Im so happy I did.

Plus its a better overall phone than Axon.  Battery life is improved and screen and sound quality.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #167 of 199
  I know its not a problem with every unit but after so many models having reported issues its hard to ignore, and sad since Im a big fan of the LG v series. The axon 7 as a phone (not talking about SQ) overall to me is nicer to the v series because of the much better battery life and really great screen I really am a fan of that saturated look that oled screens provide with great black colors and its hard to enjoy your music with a dead battery. I do miss the secondary screen though I took it for granted but its nice having notification not pop up on the main screen, the other thing I miss is the more neutral sound of the v10 the axon is a bit more bottom heavy and the treble somehow sounds a little sharper. Overall the tonal balance of the axon 7 is not my usual preferred one for more critical listening but for mobile use it within my tolerance level.

I typically use my JH-13, TG334 and K10UA with my smartphones. Ironically I had ordered an ifi iematch before this whole bootloop on impulse and was wondering if I actually would use it now I can see if it can reduce the axon 7 noise that I can hear very faintly sometimes. Im also considering a Audioquest dragonfly red as alternative sound to have to choose from besides what the axon 7 gives since I spent less than on the phone in the first place.

plus v20 makes iematch obsolete because it has a lot less noise than v10 or axon.  ESS weren't lying when they said they reduced the noise floor.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #168 of 199

Bam $435 30 day money back top rated seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-V20-64GB-Titan-Black-T-mobile-Smartphone-9-10-/192104993423?hash=item2cba59928f:g:aI8AAOSw5cNYOhWn

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #169 of 199
Yes I noticed the Axon 7 to be bottom heavy too.  V20 sound is leaps and bounds better than Axon.  Your gonna miss your treble.  Especially since you have high end high quality iems, they will make v20 even better.

It sounds crazy to get the dragonfly.  Your going backwards.  By the time you try to make up for sound quality you will be then spent more than the cost of the v20.

Just order the v20 from a top rated seller used or new on Ebay that offers 30 day return.  If you dont like it return it. I didnt want to purchase it either but curiousity got the best of me.  Im so happy I did.

Plus its a better overall phone than Axon.  Battery life is improved and screen and sound quality.
Can you define what makes the V20 "leaps and bounds" better in terms of sound?

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #170 of 199
Can you define what makes the V20 "leaps and bounds" better in terms of sound?

treble, bass, mids , detail and noise level.  Pretty much any aspect of the music.  Coming from v10 when i first listened to axon 7 the sound was "off".  Lacks treble extension and its bottom heavy as well.  Good compared to other phones but nothing compared to v series especially v20.

Someone did a test and found v20 to be better than ak240.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #171 of 199
treble, bass, mids , detail and noise level.  Pretty much any aspect of the music.  Coming from v10 when i first listened to axon 7 the sound was "off".  Lacks treble extension and its bottom heavy as well.  Good compared to other phones but nothing compared to v series especially v20.

Thanks for the fast response. It's hard to find detailed comparisons online for certain phones.

I appreciate the Axon 7 for its speakers and decent sound on the go. If ever I need more I'll turn to my Mojo.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #172 of 199

I respect your views however I dont think the dragonfly is going backward necessarily as you say it is, but besides that with the dragonfly red ill be able to use it with my ios devices and computers in cases I dont want to take my mojo or desktop dac and amp around. Also its the cheapest option currently that can handle MQA, im still on the fence about MQA as a lot of people are as well but at least it will be a small investment before I decided if I want to get a more pricy option when I select a new desktop stand alone dac in the future. 

I was actually watching that same listing on eBay, but still im very cautious after this boot loop issue and there is no telling what causes it to happen yet so a highly rated seller does not resolve this concern. And your feelings that the V20 is a better overall phone may be correct for you but for me the V20 only has slightly larger battery capacity than the V10 while having a larger display than the axon 7 that is LCD means it uses more battery to power a larger display that requires additional power even to backlight the black color means shorter battery capacity compared to phones that use oled display. The screen on the V20 is improved over the V10 but the PPI is not as good as the axon 7 and depending on personal preference I do like the saturation of colors oled displays give. And for my line of work as a MD I really appreciate the contrast levels that OLED display gives me as well as battery savings if I view mostly objects with black backgrounds like xrays. Plus when I return to work as a new doctor they put me through hell and my days are longer than the typical 9-5 so every bit of battery life counts and the idea of swapping battery is good but as I learned from owning the V10 to me it was not as convent as just having a higher battery capacity even at the cost of it not being swappable.

And about missing the treble I found the axon 7 to have similar extension but not as natural sounding, but on the other hand I found the increase in the lows a welcome and the mids are a little more fuller, both sounds to me seems acceptable and more of a matter of preference rather than outright deal breaking flaws. Besides, in a few months time the LG G6 might be even better and it would mean I saved money now since I did not get the V20 now.

I also understand your opinion about spending more money in the long run to get better sound but to be frankly honest spending more money in any portable smartphones/Daps/Dacs might not be the best solution since I find tech moves so fast it becomes obsolete much faster than amps or any iems, headphones, speakers. Which is why a spend more on my main speaker and headphone setup.  

plus v20 makes iematch obsolete because it has a lot less noise than v10 or axon.  ESS weren't lying when they said they reduced the noise floor.

Maybe in terms of noise perhaps but having the ieMatch would allow me the option of using my sensitive IEMs with my other amps that dont do well with sensitive IEMs normally. Also I would like to experiment with changing the sensitivity setting and the effects my current IEMs and the ieMatch would allow that as well. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #173 of 199
  I respect your views however I dont think the dragonfly is going backward necessarily as you say it is, but besides that with the dragonfly red ill be able to use it with my ios devices and computers in cases I dont want to take my mojo or desktop dac and amp around. Also its the cheapest option currently that can handle MQA, im still on the fence about MQA as a lot of people are as well but at least it will be a small investment before I decided if I want to get a more pricy option when I select a new desktop stand alone dac in the future. 

I was actually watching that same listing on eBay, but still im very cautious after this boot loop issue and there is no telling what causes it to happen yet so a highly rated seller does not resolve this concern. And your feelings that the V20 is a better overall phone may be correct for you but for me the V20 only has slightly larger battery capacity than the V10 while having a larger display than the axon 7 that is LCD means it uses more battery to power a larger display that requires additional power even to backlight the black color means shorter battery capacity compared to phones that use oled display. The screen on the V20 is improved over the V10 but the PPI is not as good as the axon 7 and depending on personal preference I do like the saturation of colors oled displays give. And for my line of work as a MD I really appreciate the contrast levels that OLED display gives me as well as battery savings if I view mostly objects with black backgrounds like xrays. Plus when I return to work as a new doctor they put me through hell and my days are longer than the typical 9-5 so every bit of battery life counts and the idea of swapping battery is good but as I learned from owning the V10 to me it was not as convent as just having a higher battery capacity even at the cost of it not being swappable.

And about missing the treble I found the axon 7 to have similar extension but not as natural sounding, but on the other hand I found the increase in the lows a welcome and the mids are a little more fuller, both sounds to me seems acceptable and more of a matter of preference rather than outright deal breaking flaws. Besides, in a few months time the LG G6 might be even better and it would mean I saved money now since I did not get the V20 now.

I also understand your opinion about spending more money in the long run to get better sound but to be frankly honest spending more money in any portable smartphones/Daps/Dacs might not be the best solution since I find tech moves so fast it becomes obsolete much faster than amps or any iems, headphones, speakers. Which is why a spend more on my main speaker and headphone setup.  

Maybe in terms of noise perhaps but having the ieMatch would allow me the option of using my sensitive IEMs with my other amps that dont do well with sensitive IEMs normally. Also I would like to experiment with changing the sensitivity setting and the effects my current IEMs and the ieMatch would allow that as well. 

Yes the v10 battery was terrible.  The v20 battery is just a little bigger, but it lasts all day where I was lucky to get 4 hours out of the v10.  I believe it may have something to do with the software and or  processor.  But if your happy with your purchase congrats!

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #174 of 199

Though you didn't answer my question, I guess that generally v20 is considered the best smartphone for audio although some would argue that Xplay 5 elite is the best
However I am interested in what variant of the axon 7 you own.

Can you also answer my previous questions?? It'd be nice of you.

Another thing, do you happen to own any portable dac/amp combos you can compare with?

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #176 of 199
Hi got a question for anyone who knows, so I just tried to use my chord mojo as a dac via USB c and it won't recognize the dac. The only way so far is to use it with the app USB audio player pro. I'm trying to get the day to work with my roon app

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #177 of 199
Hey guys,

I'm reading some complaints about the EU version's audio quality: https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/help/vs-eu-global-version-audio-power-volume-t3461406 

Can any of the audio enthusiasts here relate to this? Is there a difference? is it big?

I'm currently using a pro 5, if i get this one i would expect somewhat equal performance...

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #178 of 199
  Hey guys,

I'm reading some complaints about the EU version's audio quality: https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/help/vs-eu-global-version-audio-power-volume-t3461406 

Can any of the audio enthusiasts here relate to this? Is there a difference? is it big?

I'm currently using a pro 5, if i get this one i would expect somewhat equal performance...

I had the Axon 7 but didn't like the treble extension.  I bought mine in the U.S. so I can't relate to the EU version.

However, I would recommend you get the v10 or definitely the v20.  You can get either for less than the cost of the Axon 7.  On ebay, you can get a used (Like New) tmobile v20 below 4 or 500.  I got my v20 used and I love it.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #179 of 199
I would love to interject here the LG is a much better phone based on what ???? external speaker sound is no contest the axon smokes the LG v10 and v20 easy.  I have the axon 7 i have never heard a phone thats sounds this good thru external speakers.  The axon drives my hd 650 very well.  I heard the v20 didnt like it at all for sound, just my opinion, iems and headphones sound very well pluged into the axon 7.  

The question i have is im using power amp 3,0 on playback is it using the dac chip in the axon ak 4490 i believe.  when i use the music player that came with the phone it seems to sound a bit better in play back any ideas on this.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #180 of 199
  I would love to interject here the LG is a much better phone based on what ???? external speaker sound is no contest the axon smokes the LG v10 and v20 easy.  I have the axon 7 i have never heard a phone thats sounds this good thru external speakers.  The axon drives my hd 650 very well.  I heard the v20 didnt like it at all for sound, just my opinion, iems and headphones sound very well pluged into the axon 7.  

The question i have is im using power amp 3,0 on playback is it using the dac chip in the axon ak 4490 i believe.  when i use the music player that came with the phone it seems to sound a bit better in play back any ideas on this.

Go to the headset hi-fi section in sound while music is playing and switch from super to standard, then back. If the sound changes, the DAC is in use.

Best bet for using the DAC is USB Audio Player Pro in "Play through Android" mode and the Variable bitrate setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back