ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Dec 11, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,051 of 1,522
Finally got some Zebra-wood pictures up.  Special thanks to @chefboyarlee for pushing me to stain the Zebrawood and get it looking as sexy as possible!  The Brazilian sets are just about sold out but there's plenty of Zebrawood which I will sell until sold out.  Blackwood with the "new" cups will be in stock soon as well.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 11, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,052 of 1,522
  Finally got some Zebra-wood pictures up.  Special thanks to @chefboyarlee for pushing me to stain the Zebrawood and get it looking as sexy as possible!  The Brazilian sets are just about sold out but there's plenty of Zebrawood which I will sell until sold out.  Blackwood with the "new" cups will be in stock soon as well.

Beautiful 
popcorn.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #1,053 of 1,522
Nice...I think I'm good for a while. The signatures of my two Zmfs are so different yet I'm not sure I prefer one over the other. Both have their strengths . Those black wood cups are so beautiful a little more polish and they would compete with those Brazil rosewoods. But I kinda like the rustic edge of them like they are.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,054 of 1,522
Thinking about picking up the Vibro mk2 or the Blackwood, without hearing either personally, and staring at the graphs they look PRETTY similiar. I'm a detail freak first and foremost, but I do want a warm sound to contrast the dt880 and a planar neutral enough to sound different than the he400. Opinions? Leaning towards blackwood

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #1,055 of 1,522
Thinking about picking up the Vibro mk2 or the Blackwood, without hearing either personally, and staring at the graphs they look PRETTY similiar. I'm a detail freak first and foremost, but I do want a warm sound to contrast the dt880 and a planar neutral enough to sound different than the he400. Opinions? Leaning towards blackwood

You'd want the Blackwood. The Vibro is very much a "fun" headphone that has quite a bit of bass. The Blackwood is more neutral, and would contrast (if not just be plain better than) the HE400.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,056 of 1,522
^^ keeping in mind they are both closed headphones. So it will be a very different presentation than the 400i.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,057 of 1,522
^^ keeping in mind they are both closed headphones. So it will be a very different presentation than the 400i.

I believe he's talking about the old HE400. If so, the Blackwood would out do it at everything and still be more open despite being closed.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,058 of 1,522

You'd want the Blackwood. The Vibro is very much a "fun" headphone that has quite a bit of bass. The Blackwood is more neutral, and would contrast (if not just be plain better than) the HE400.

The Blackwood will give you more detail, as it's technically superior to the Vibro.  But I do want to mention that the mk ii Vibro is much less warm than the original.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #1,060 of 1,522

The Blackwood will give you more detail, as it's technically superior to the Vibro.  But I do want to mention that the mk ii Vibro is much less warm than the original.

Ah, yah, I forgot about the Mk2 being different. I'll be getting a pair of those semi-soon (or a THX00 depending on how this trade goes) with a HD650. Yay reviews!

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,061 of 1,522
  Hello, I ordered Vibro mk ii from Zach and thinking about getting a desktop amp. Probably Schiit Magni 2 Uber or new Vali 2. Which one pairs better with ZMF headphones or Orthos in general, solid state or tube?

Thanks

In general, you want more power for planars.  With the choices above, the Magni is going to be more appropriate.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #1,062 of 1,522
Jeez, I miss Clarkson already

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #1,063 of 1,522
  Hello, I ordered Vibro mk ii from Zach and thinking about getting a desktop amp. Probably Schiit Magni 2 Uber or new Vali 2. Which one pairs better with ZMF headphones or Orthos in general, solid state or tube?

Thanks

I had a magni 2 uber and the Lyr was a TON better with the ZMF Vibro.  If the Liquid Carbon hadn't come along, it wouldn't be for sale.

I have a Schiit Lyr for sale with a great set of tubes.  Check it out.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/790956/schiit-lyr-plus-red-valvo-herleen-tubes

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,064 of 1,522

In general, you want more power for planars.  With the choices above, the Magni is going to be more appropriate.

The Vali 2 is pretty good on power. It'll be a bit tougher though, seeing as it's 650mw @ 50 ohms, which it should be at least a watt for a planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back