ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,381 of 1,522
Thanks. I'm a Planar-head through and through, just was so curious about everyone loving the biocellulose Fostex interpretation, too. I'll just go mod another pair of T*0RP's...

I have the Teak and ZMF Vibro. I prefer the Vibro. The Teak are used at work because if they walked away (were stolen) then... Well, I'd be pissed, but I'd still have my Vibro.

I understand the blackwood sounds better than my Vibro...

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #1,382 of 1,522
I have the Teak and ZMF Vibro. I prefer the Vibro. The Teak are used at work because if they walked away (were stolen) then... Well, I'd be pissed, but I'd still have my Vibro.

I understand the blackwood sounds better than my Vibro...

I have a Vibro and a Blackwood. They sound different--I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I have them both because I love them both. Zach has inspired me to modify two more pairs of Fostex Planar headphones.

I think I have an obsession now!

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #1,383 of 1,522
  I have a Vibro and a Blackwood. They sound different--I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I have them both because I love them both. Zach has inspired me to modify two more pairs of Fostex Planar headphones.

I think I have an obsession now!

Yeah I agree.  The Vibro mk 2 and Blackwood sound different.  The Blackwood is definitely more resolving but one might like the laid back sound of the Vibro better despite that.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,384 of 1,522
  Yeah I agree.  The Vibro mk 2 and Blackwood sound different.  The Blackwood is definitely more resolving but one might like the laid back sound of the Vibro better despite that.

I'd say the Vibro 1 is much, much darker. I put my Blackwood back on, and it is almost like I'm relearning my love for it. Zach did some type of super voodoo magic between Blackwood and Vibro modding (from a driver perspective), for sure.

I would say the Blackwood is _much_ more resolving than the Vibro 1 that I have. The only "mod" I've done is that I've replaced the Tx0RP MK2 headband with one from a MK3 that I dismantled.

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,385 of 1,522
  I'd say the Vibro 1 is much, much darker. I put my Blackwood back on, and it is almost like I'm relearning my love for it. Zach did some type of super voodoo magic between Blackwood and Vibro modding (from a driver perspective), for sure.

I would say the Blackwood is _much_ more resolving than the Vibro 1 that I have. The only "mod" I've done is that I've replaced the Tx0RP MK2 headband with one from a MK3 that I dismantled.

Yeah, it's been a while since I heard the mk 1 but I do recall it being much darker than the Blackwood and less resolving.  The mk 2 is similarly resolving but it's actually more balanced sounding than the Blackwood (from memory).  The new tuning made it his most balanced sounding headphone to date (I haven't heard the Eikon or Atticus yet tho).

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,386 of 1,522

Yeah, it's been a while since I heard the mk 1 but I do recall it being much darker than the Blackwood and less resolving.  The mk 2 is similarly resolving but it's actually more balanced sounding than the Blackwood (from memory).  The new tuning made it his most balanced sounding headphone to date (I haven't heard the Eikon or Atticus yet tho).

I put 1540 pads onto my Vibro 1 yesterday and it really brightened it up -- I had to open all of the bass ports to get to a place I really, really enjoy. I was planning on selling these, but I don't think I can bring myself to do it!

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,387 of 1,522
My only complaint is that I still reach for the mad dog pro when I want a better seal and bass that really digs deep. Can anyone talk about the Blackwood or ori (right?) vs the mdp?

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #1,388 of 1,522
My only complaint is that I still reach for the mad dog pro when I want a better seal and bass that really digs deep. Can anyone talk about the Blackwood or ori (right?) vs the mdp?

The Ori destroys the Mad Dog Pro when it comes to perfect seal and bass digging. It's different for a Blackwood, since it's a closed can. Even with all ports open, it doesn't hit like the Ori hits. We're talking LCD-2 (to me, better) style bass.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,390 of 1,522
The Ori destroys the Mad Dog Pro when it comes to perfect seal and bass digging. It's different for a Blackwood, since it's a closed can. Even with all ports open, it doesn't hit like the Ori hits. We're talking LCD-2 (to me, better) style bass.

What wood did you hear?

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #1,391 of 1,522
What wood did you hear?

My Ori is Cherry, my Blackwood is Purpleheart.

I also just got a chain upgrade--my new (to me) amplifier came in! I'm now running Schiit Bifrost Multibit to a lovely Audio-GD C-2 11th Anniversary. Both the Ori and the Blackwood are feed extremely well, even in low gain mode (+10dB). High gain is +19dB (I have yet to try it) and "warmer sound" mode is not recommended as the sound got muddy. Silence is true, and there is no issue driving the sensitivity requirement of the Fostex Planar drivers. I highly recommend considering this amplifier, if you're looking for a pairing for the Blackwood.

Mar 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,392 of 1,522
I got a question for Zach, or maybe anyone that knows. 

Are the zmf classic and vibro mk2 the only zmf headphones that use the 'stock' fostex mk3 driver? The others (Ori, Blackwood) still seem to use the MK2 rubber headband. Didn't fostex discontinue the old T50RP MK2 long ago? 

I've spent the past few days looking for concrete info, but to no avail.

I'm only interested because I love the MK3 driver and headband. I was thinking of ordering a ZMF Blackwood; at this moment, does it still use the old mk2 design or the current mk3?

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,393 of 1,522
  I got a question for Zach, or maybe anyone that knows. 

Are the zmf classic and vibro mk2 the only zmf headphones that use the 'stock' fostex mk3 driver? The others (Ori, Blackwood) still seem to use the MK2 rubber headband. Didn't fostex discontinue the old T50RP MK2 long ago? 

I've spent the past few days looking for concrete info, but to no avail.

I'm only interested because I love the MK3 driver and headband. I was thinking of ordering a ZMF Blackwood; at this moment, does it still use the old mk2 design or the current mk3?

Ah so:

1.  We now use the MK III driver/headband in all headhones.  We had some stock of the MK II but that is all gone now.  The MKII and III driver membrane are actually the same, the baffle design is what changed dramatically between the MK II and MK III.

2.  The Blackwood is interesting, in that I did not want to change the design/sound of it because I was very happy with everything.  So because the Blackwood was designed specifically around the MK II baffle what we do is take the MK II baffle's which we've saved from all the Ori's that we've made, and we transplant the MK III driver enclosure into it.  With that we make the needed driver modifications that are specific tot he Blackwood and Ori and viola!

Hope that helps! Let me know if I missed anything or if you have further questions.

PS - I recommend the cowhide band on the MK III headbands, we actually may get rid of the pilot pad altogether as an option for headphones with the MK III headband as the band itself is shorter, not making the Pilot pad as comfortable as the leather band IMHO.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,394 of 1,522
Edit: nevermind

Mar 5, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,395 of 1,522

Ah so:

1.  We now use the MK III driver/headband in all headhones.  We had some stock of the MK II but that is all gone now.  The MKII and III driver membrane are actually the same, the baffle design is what changed dramatically between the MK II and MK III.

2.  The Blackwood is interesting, in that I did not want to change the design/sound of it because I was very happy with everything.  So because the Blackwood was designed specifically around the MK II baffle what we do is take the MK II baffle's which we've saved from all the Ori's that we've made, and we transplant the MK III driver enclosure into it.  With that we make the needed driver modifications that are specific tot he Blackwood and Ori and viola!

Hope that helps! Let me know if I missed anything or if you have further questions.

PS - I recommend the cowhide band on the MK III headbands, we actually may get rid of the pilot pad altogether as an option for headphones with the MK III headband as the band itself is shorter, not making the Pilot pad as comfortable as the leather band IMHO.

That's great news to my ears, thanks for the quick response!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back