ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Jan 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #1,126 of 1,522

I received the e-mail and I jumped right in. I'm getting my impressions made this monday. These babies will be my first ciem ever.

I'm in the same boat. Never had CIEM's and never went to a audiologist. It's also a lot of money and you can't really sell it if you don't like it. Also don't really need it, only listen music at home lol. Tough decision 
redface.gif
 They look mighty fine though. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,128 of 1,522
god those are extremely attractive looking ciems.

on a side note, i finally started moving up the list for my vibros! 

the wait really is the hardest part. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,131 of 1,522
Well I just bought the Omni that were listed in the for sale section. So the Aria will have to wait I'm afraid. 

I just read a translated version of the review listed in that for sale listing. While I definitely have different preferences than the reviewer, he did a nice job detailing some of the strengths of the Omni and what differentiates it from other headphones.

I think you are in for a treat.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,132 of 1,522
I just read a translated version of the review listed in that for sale listing. While I definitely have different preferences than the reviewer, he did a nice job detailing some of the strengths of the Omni and what differentiates it from other headphones.

I think you are in for a treat.

Yes I read it too. Good review indeed. Will be fun to see how they fare versus the Blackwood. Will probably sell the Blackwood if I like the Omni (and if they don't leak too much). I think they will be an upgrade!

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,134 of 1,522

ZMF Omni Walnut, Blackwood Closed, x00, LCD-2..

I would like to know which has more bass quantity and slam. I currently have x00 and find the treble to have a peak, looks like the closed blackwood can would not have this. Also comments vs LCD-2 would be appriciated in this regard.

The Blackwood appear to have a bass similar to modern Fostex offerings, but not a peaky in the treble as fostex or even Omni. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #1,135 of 1,522

I would like to know which has more bass quantity and slam. I currently have x00 and find the treble to have a peak, looks like the closed blackwood can would not have this. Also comments vs LCD-2 would be appriciated in this regard.

The Blackwood appear to have a bass similar to modern Fostex offerings, but not a peaky in the treble as fostex or even Omni. 

I haven't heard the Omni, but while the blackwood has a lot of weight to the bass, it doesn't have much slam, IMO. More like the bass adds an incredibly solid foundation, but doesn't move the air that the much-larger-driver LCD 2.2 does (this is the LCD2 I've heard. If you end up wanting it and don't know where to find one, a local hi-fi store in my area had it in stock as of Thanksgiving. It is called The Gifted Listener, in Centreville, VA). I can't comment on the LCD 2f. All the LCDs I've heard have more slam than the Blackwood, I think. I've heard the X, the XC, and 2.2. Hope this helps, and that an Omni owner can chime in on their experiences. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #1,136 of 1,522

I will add that the Blackwood has emphasized sub-bass. Zach is pretty clear on this. The mid-bass is very linear, which is what I believe most people normally associate with "slam." Sub-bass heavy songs kill on the Blackwood though!

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,137 of 1,522
AS far as just "slam" the Omni has the most complete punchy bass as it has more quantity in the mid-bass than the Blackwood while maintaining that sub-bass, neither of them leak into the mids.  And yes, the Blackwood hasmore of a rumble, as just the sub-bass from around 100 hz and below is boosted.  The rest of the spectrum is pretty neutral with a slight downslope.

Best for others to compare the other phones.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 20, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,138 of 1,522
Hi all
For the last month or so I have been living with a set of Blackwoods and now I feel confident in saying that they are the best closed set I have had or borrowed (TH-X00,mad dog pros,AKG K545,HP50,PM3) and better than many open sets(HE-400,DT-880,990,HD600). It my just be the sound signature that hits the sweet spot with warmth,transparency and musicality that's just right for me. They work so well with rock,blues,punk,alternative and jazz witch is mostly what I listen to. Now the only two headphones I have been using are the LCD-2Fazor and the Blackwoods. I have sold 2 pair already and maybe more soon but it's hard to part with the THX00 and T90 they are both fun in their own way.
Thanks Zach

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #1,139 of 1,522
Can't wait to get my vibros, you just named every headphone I own too. Just bumped up on the list today, so hopefully soon!

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,140 of 1,522
Hi all
For the last month or so I have been living with a set of Blackwoods and now I feel confident in saying that they are the best closed set I have had or borrowed (TH-X00,mad dog pros,AKG K545,HP50,PM3) and better than many open sets(HE-400,DT-880,990,HD600). It my just be the sound signature that hits the sweet spot with warmth,transparency and musicality that's just right for me. They work so well with rock,blues,punk,alternative and jazz witch is mostly what I listen to. Now the only two headphones I have been using are the LCD-2Fazor and the Blackwoods. I have sold 2 pair already and maybe more soon but it's hard to part with the THX00 and T90 they are both fun in their own way.
Thanks Zach

When it comes to closed headphones, try the LFF Enigmas. I personally think there is no topping them. The Omni sounds wonderful but open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back