ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #440 of 1,522
You can't by yoursself
frown.gif

If you want to delete one of your posts just click on the red flag and add a comment (Please can you delete my post ?).

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #441 of 1,522

I heard that the Masters are quite bass shy

Even v1 isn't bass shy. Where did you hear that?

They are neutral which to some is. Different tastes

The sub bass is more tangible on the blackwood in the because it is tighter and has better extension and weight, but over the whole spectrum I would say that even so the blackwood may have a little less bass than the vibro.

Would you say the Vibros have more bass than the Masters?

The vibros do have more bass.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #442 of 1,522
Just got them in today. Before hitting the sound, I have to say that it is pretty evident that Zach put a lot of care into these things. The Blackwood color is definitely darker in person but definitely has a great finish. The alpha pads and leather headband also provide great comfort. I definitely prefer the suspension headband and alpha pads over the pilot pad and alacantara pads that I had for the V.2s. 

Just based off of first impressions, the Blackwoods are pretty balanced across the spectrum. They definitely feel pretty neutral. Treble is very smooth but not laid back at all. No sibilance or harshness to my ears. Clarity is definitely there and the bass is pretty even. I don't have any of the rubber dowels in to reduce bass, and even without the dowels, the bass is not overwhelming to me by any means. Mids are there and just great. They are not as lush as the V.2s for sure but the V.2s were much warmer in general to where the clarity suffered a bit. The soundstage on these is definitely impressive for a closed can and feel very wide. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #443 of 1,522
By the way, I did get the Canare cable, and I have zero problem with microphonics whatsoever.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #445 of 1,522
I don't have microphonics with my Blackwood and the OCC cable...

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #447 of 1,522
So your cable only had microphonics on the blackwood but not other headphones? Sounds more like a connection problem.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #448 of 1,522
So your cable only had microphonics on the blackwood but not other headphones? Sounds more like a connection problem.

Ok, so how do I resolve a connection problem?  I have other cables as well that have microphonics on just the Blackwood, no other headphones!

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #449 of 1,522
Ok, so how do I resolve a connection problem?  I have other cables as well that have microphonics on just the Blackwood, no other headphones!

First of all, I'm guessing you are talking about mechanical noise and not microphonics.
Perhaps the full wood cups transmit the mechanical noise to a greater extent than your other headphones. If that's the case, that's just life. If the problem isn't present with a cable with proper dampening, then I see the problem as already having a solution.

We are talking about a custom tuned headphone. A cable should be nothing more than a transport. In this specific case there is no reason to use a cable that colors the sound when it can be obtained by asking for such a tuning.

I've built a lot of cables. Some are made for desktop use and others for portable use. I specifically try to make the portable use cables to dampen mechanical noise as long as it's possible with the desired style.
That said, this headphone is likely a desktop solution for the vast majority of users. That likely being the case, mechanical noise on any cable would be minimal.
I get the feeling you are trying to use a headphone and cable designed for desktop use as a portable solution. Something to consider.

Based on your responses and particular situation, I'd recommend using a cable that provides the level of dampening necessary to solve the problem. That is a much more realistic option than hoping for a complete structural rework of a headphone to comply with your particular situation.
Perhaps Zach will add additional mechanical dampening at the connectors entrance in a future iteration for people in your specific situation, but that is for him to decide.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #450 of 1,522

First of all, I'm guessing you are talking about mechanical noise and not microphonics.
Perhaps the full wood cups transmit the mechanical noise to a greater extent than your other headphones. If that's the case, that's just life. If the problem isn't present with a cable with proper dampening, then I see the problem as already having a solution.

We are talking about a custom tuned headphone. A cable should be nothing more than a transport. In this specific case there is no reason to use a cable that colors the sound when it can be obtained by asking for such a tuning.

I've built a lot of cables. Some are made for desktop use and others for portable use. I specifically try to make the portable use cables to dampen mechanical noise as long as it's possible with the desired style.
That said, this headphone is likely a desktop solution for the vast majority of users. That likely being the case, mechanical noise on any cable would be minimal.
I get the feeling you are trying to use a headphone and cable designed for desktop use as a portable solution. Something to consider.

Based on your responses and particular situation, I'd recommend using a cable that provides the level of dampening necessary to solve the problem. That is a much more realistic option than hoping for a complete structural rework of a headphone to comply with your particular situation.
Perhaps Zach will add additional mechanical dampening at the connectors entrance in a future iteration for people in your specific situation, but that is for him to decide.

My new Norne Solv X, has a cotton sleeve, and it has the worst microphonics with the left cup on the Blackwood.  Trevor advertises this cable as having very low microphonics.  I have three other cables that are sleeved, and they also act similar, but just on one side, as do my 4 8 wire braid Double Helix Cables!

I have no portable use, other than my RE272.  This is the only headphone I have heard with this level of microphonics on just one side!

Thanks for you explanation of mechanical noise, but I thought microphonics would be when the cable is rubbing on clothing, either way it's very annoying, what I am hearing is noise when the cable rubs against my chest when I move or turn my head, even with music playing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back