ZMF Verite Open
May 24, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #6,346 of 9,511
May 24, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #6,347 of 9,511
apologies if this has been asked before..

for VO, if my amp has option for Hi and Low impedance, does it matter which setting it is at?
Low impedance i set volume knob around 11 o'clock
Hi impedance, everything sounds louder and i set my volume knob around 9 o'clock

I'm not sure if i hear any difference in SQ, and perhaps just a volume difference? does anyone else have a similar experience?

Personally speaking it seem to make some sort of difference for me. For reference I'm using my Verite with a DNA Starlett which comes with a 9 Ohm Low output Impedance setting and a 120 Ohm IEC Setting. Low Impedance seem to improve the clarity and tighten up the bass response whereas the IEC mode have slightly dampened bass response and rounds out the transients a tad more providing an overall smoother sound. Overall for me with this setup I prefer low impedance setting for
my verite.

Btw for reference do you happen to have the impedance figure for your amp? Would be interested to see if effects of OI differs across different amp design. DNA amp seem to appear a tad louder off Low OI possibly due to improve clarity which is the opposite of your experience.

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #6,348 of 9,511
May 24, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #6,349 of 9,511
Personally speaking it seem to make some sort of difference for me. For reference I'm using my Verite with a DNA Starlett which comes with a 9 Ohm Low output Impedance setting and a 120 Ohm IEC Setting. Low Impedance seem to improve the clarity and tighten up the bass response whereas the IEC mode have slightly dampened bass response and rounds out the transients a tad more providing an overall smoother sound. Overall for me with this setup I prefer low impedance setting for
my verite.

Btw for reference do you happen to have the impedance figure for your amp? Would be interested to see if effects of OI differs across different amp design. DNA amp seem to appear a tad louder off Low OI possibly due to improve clarity which is the opposite of your experience.

Hmm sorry I don't know what the exact specs are for the hi/lo impedance settings on the amp. Tried looking on the product website but no mention of it there.

May 24, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #6,350 of 9,511
Hmm sorry I don't know what the exact specs are for the hi/lo impedance settings on the amp. Tried looking on the product website but no mention of it there.
This isn't something that is commonly posted by manufacturers and not everyone has access to measuring rigs so don't worry about it. Do let us know if you noticed any difference based on your listening. Great setup you have there Wavelight + WA33/Milo. Would love to hear it one day.

May 24, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #6,351 of 9,511
I use LCD4 with my WA33. The Audeze is 200 ohms and seems to sound tighter on the high impedance setting. In low power setting as well. I run the TC in low impedance and high power setting. But try it and see. Woo also has recommended settings for different headphones. However I believe they have the LCD4 100 ohm in the chart.

May 24, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #6,352 of 9,511
Woo recommends high impedance setting for headphones 100 ohms and higher. Again it still comes down to preference.

May 25, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #6,355 of 9,511
Zach said in an email that it's Sapele in a darker stain. Gorgeous IMO.

I ordered a VO Silkwood last month. @zach915m - what was the reason for the change? Availability of the wood, aesthetics preference, other? Just curious. Seems like the Sapele added 30 grams to the default weight.

@alreadyused Well spotted!

May 25, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #6,357 of 9,511
@zach915m Does the VO have a new stock wood? The text says it's Sapele but it doesn't look like Sapele to me. Much darker and the grain looks different. But then what do I know? Looks gorgeous though, whatever it is.

I ordered a VO Silkwood last month. @zach915m - what was the reason for the change? Availability of the wood, aesthetics preference, other? Just curious. Seems like the Sapele added 30 grams to the default weight.

@alreadyused Well spotted!

The silk/albizia wood we were using was lighter in color, which some people preferred stained darker, and it was more prone to shrinking not allowing us to have as good a yield and making the wood harder to work with. The weight of the Sapele is slightly greater, but the more standardization of options will allow us to get headphones out the door faster. And yes - supply chain for very high quality Sapele is easier for us than the albizia.

Anyone who ordered silk is welcome to switch to the Sapele if your headphone hasn't shipped yet, but it may cause a delay in shipment as all the silk wood sets are in assembly.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 26, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #6,359 of 9,511
How does the VO fare in vocal presence compared to VC? Which one is more “in-your-face” and “airy” comparatively?

May 26, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #6,360 of 9,511
How does the VO fare in vocal presence compared to VC? Which one is more “in-your-face” and “airy” comparatively?
The VO has more airy treble. The VC has more intimate sound. I do believe that they each, despite being the same driver, arent really the same headphones. The sound different in their own rights. The VC is more laid back, IMO. It has warm, thick bass. It has sparkly highs with a mid/vocal presence. The VO is more wide and precise. It has more high end emphasis but do certainly hit hard with correct tubes. I think the VC has more enjoyable treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back