ZMF Verite Open
Jan 15, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #3,781 of 9,521
I’ve had some time with this now, and can say that the Pendant is a Goldilocks amp for ZMFs...it’s just right! Plenty of tube options for rolling folks, and simplicity of just plugging and going with stock tubes. Both options are excellent and tube rolling helps dial in a preferred sound. For me I’m a set and enjoy type, with limited rolling (but will research for the optimal set of tubes or “good enough” tubes).

Anyhow, I found the Pendant to have excellent capabilities and easily competed and bested my Cayin Ha-1a MKii in most areas, but, it was more similar than not. Both have a tube sound that leans more clean and neutral...at least with the tubes I tried (didn’t swap out my tung sol tubes from the Cayin...it’s not easy or fun lol).

the Verite O/C and Aeolus were all peanut butter and chocolate synergy with the Pendant...easy to get lost in the music with these pairings.

F42BD906-C09F-48B4-B36E-5BC7413637F0.jpeg

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #3,782 of 9,521
Being a consistent Verite lambskin pad wearer, I recently gave the Universe lambskin another chance. I listened to Universe pads exclusively for about a week. They definitely needed a bit more EQ for me than the Verite-lamb, most notably dropping 5.5k and 8.0k down a couple db. And what I concluded after a week with the Universe is the same thing as before; I really love the Verite lambskin pads. I was missing the sub-bass presence and the sharper imaging of the V-L pads. The Universe add some cool stage dimensions, but really lose out on the imaging capabilities for me. I also feel that stage depth is more easily perceived with the V-L than the U-L. I appreciate the more linear nature of the treble with the V-L pads too.

Two interesting takeaways from the swap:
With the U-L pads I found myself enjoying them most when the headphones were placed as far forward on my head (back of earpads touching the back of my ears).

When I took the pads off I noticed the inside of the cups/drivers had some condensation on them. This was from me recently getting out of the shower (no I wasn't soaking wet when I put my headphones on) despite drying off well and waiting probably 15-20 minutes to put the headphones on. My hair is a little longer (covers my ears), so just a forewarning to anyone who puts their headphones on with semi-wet and longer hair. I assume this could happen with anyone living in a humid/hot condition as well, probably more common than people realize. With that said it doesn't appear to be any damage to anything and they still function perfectly of course.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #3,783 of 9,521
Being a consistent Verite lambskin pad wearer, I recently gave the Universe lambskin another chance. I listened to Universe pads exclusively for about a week. They definitely needed a bit more EQ for me than the Verite-lamb, most notably dropping 5.5k and 8.0k down a couple db. And what I concluded after a week with the Universe is the same thing as before; I really love the Verite lambskin pads. I was missing the sub-bass presence and the sharper imaging of the V-L pads. The Universe add some cool stage dimensions, but really lose out on the imaging capabilities for me. I also feel that stage depth is more easily perceived with the V-L than the U-L. I appreciate the more linear nature of the treble with the V-L pads too.

With the U-L pads I found myself enjoying them most when the headphones were placed as far forward on my head (back of earpads touching the back of my ears).

When I took the pads off I noticed the inside of the cups/drivers had some condensation on them. This was from me recently getting out of the shower (no I wasn't soaking wet when I put my headphones on) despite drying off well and waiting probably 15-20 minutes to put the headphones on. My hair is a little longer (covers my ears), so just a forewarning to anyone who puts their headphones on with semi-wet and longer hair. I assume this could happen with anyone living in a humid/hot condition as well, probably more common than people realize. With that said it doesn't appear to be any damage to anything and they still function perfectly of course.

I feel the same as much as I like how different the Universe pad is I really enjoy the Verite lambskin it just seems like the one for me. It puts the driver closer and even after adjusting for the volume difference I appreciate less reflected sound for the sharper imaging as you mention and while it may not have as much overall bass I really enjoy the dynamic impact with the Verite pads. I just think that is a real strength of this headphone is the speed and dynamics so I like how the Verite pads seem to enhance that. There are some recordings where I could really appreciate what the Universe pads bring so I do enjoy being able to tune the sound like this but I just personally keep coming back to the Verite lambskin.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #3,784 of 9,521
I feel the same as much as I like how different the Universe pad is I really enjoy the Verite lambskin it just seems like the one for me. It puts the driver closer and even after adjusting for the volume difference I appreciate less reflected sound for the sharper imaging as you mention and while it may not have as much overall bass I really enjoy the dynamic impact with the Verite pads. I just think that is a real strength of this headphone is the speed and dynamics so I like how the Verite pads seem to enhance that. There are some recordings where I could really appreciate what the Universe pads bring so I do enjoy being able to tune the sound like this but I just personally keep coming back to the Verite lambskin.
Yea it’s nice to have the options. Especially considering a lot of people aren’t like you and I, seeing that a lot prefer the Universe. Something for everyone from Zach :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #3,786 of 9,521

I feel the same.

About that condensation I don't think it's a big problem for dynamic drivers because the voice coil and the electricity is on the other side but for planars/estats I imagine it being a big problem, thanks a lot for the PSA I thought it there would be no condensation when I dry off from shower.

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #3,792 of 9,521
Hey all, I have a pair of ZMF Suede Universe Perforated pads that I am not using and would be willing to lend them to anyone who is potentially interested in buying. If you want to give them a listen, and I feel comfortable/familiar with you, shoot me a PM. They are in excellent condition with very minimal usage. I would be looking for $45 (shipping and fees included) if anyone wants to buy them outright. Cheers.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,794 of 9,521
Well. Just bought a pair. First ZMF.

What's the go to pad for them?

I find myself switching between the lambskin perf. Verite pad and the suede perf. Universe pad. The Verite pad brings a lot of slam in the bass as well as being more detailed throughout the spectrum, whereas the Universe pad sounds a lot closer to neutral while softening the hard edges of the detail. Haven't tried any other pads though, hoping to give the lambskin Universe and prototype BE2 pads a try soon.

Feb 12, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #3,795 of 9,521
Awesome. Will try the Verite pads. Like me some slam.

I need a new cable, terminating either 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced.

Any budget options around?

I have a ZMF upgraded copper one here to twin XLR terminations that I have no use for too. People buy these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back