ZMF Verite Open
Nov 6, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #3,451 of 9,513
Has anyone asked themselves where does Zach go from here? I have lived with these headphones for a while now and one of the things I enjoy is pulling out albums I almost forgot i had and having that Verite magic sprinkled on it. You may have shot your bolt too soon son, good luck with your next endeavour!

Hahah well if you're wondering Verite 2 is around the corner - it's not! I plan on making this version of Verite and Verite Closed for a long time. :L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 6, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #3,453 of 9,513
Hahah well if you're wondering Verite 2 is around the corner - it's not! I plan on making this version of Verite and Verite Closed for a long time. :L3000:
Ah, but that doesn’t mean the new “Artisan” won’t be coming out sometime next year either! :L3000:

Nov 6, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #3,454 of 9,513
Has anyone asked themselves where does Zach go from here? I have lived with these headphones for a while now and one of the things I enjoy is pulling out albums I almost forgot i had and having that Verite magic sprinkled on it. You may have shot your bolt too soon son, good luck with your next endeavour!
Headphones Hall of fame maybe?? is that not a thing? hmmm...should be remedied :wink: I nominate ZMF as a first entrant into the Hall! Maybe @jude can create a Hollywood Stars style imprints for headphone makers sidewalk outside their offices in SoCal! Or a Hall of Fame =) I would like to see ZMF get recognized on a larger scale...but at the same time my inner selfish person doesn't want the wait times to get any longer :wink: … damn, dilemma... nah! ZMF deserves all the recognition for the Craftmanship, artistry and amazing sound quality they are providing to us lucky souls able to obtain some ZMF headphones!

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #3,455 of 9,513
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #3,456 of 9,513
I’ve been looking for a summit-fi headphone to end my spending into this hobby for the time being, and the Verite happened to be one that came into my interest. A couple weeks ago I auditioned it along with several others, ZMF and not, and it stood out to me as the best of the bunch. But I ended up not getting it.

The Verite had a really sharp attack with bass and mids which sounds really good with drums. The other standout thing as well was the tactility of the whole setup, not just with sharp hits but with sustained notes. Tremolo picked guitars have a physical feeling to them like the real deal. I coined the term “presence” to describe this, and I honestly can’t think of much else that can match it.

However, I didn’t walk out of the store with a Verite for a reason. The less dealbreaking issue was the treble tonality being too warm and not having enough stick impact with cymbals. The major issue that I had with the Verite lies with the general upper midrange recession on the thing, and how it affects the technical ability of the Verite. I tried quite a few tracks with the Verite, starting out as always with Talk Talk’s After the Flood, Charles Mingus’ Solo Dancer, Yes’ Close to the Edge, Stravinsky’s Le Sacre du Printemps, and it actually did alright on them. The breaking point was Wretched Wisdom by Krallice, a track I don’t actually use very often for demoing. I originally wanted to use it to test the bass slam and tactility of the Verite (which it passed with flying colors, unsurprisingly) but the second the center panned guitar solo came in the rhythm guitars immediately faded out of focus, almost like a camera refocusing. In that instant the Verite shat the proverbial bed and fell flat on its face. I strongly suspect this to be an inverse of the IER-Z1R’s (my daily driver IEM) midrange clarity trick, with the upper midrange on the Z1R being boosted rather than recessed to provide the opposite effect of the Verite.

Now, here comes the little idea I’ve been toying with. I think it’s apparent that the Verite was impressive to me, but not quite impressive enough. The attack speed and “presence” stuck out to me as very good. It’s clear that the driver obviously has a tuning in mind and you can’t change that too much. However, it might be possible to tweak it slightly with a wood choice that aids the upper midrange a bit and a good cable. I don’t know to what extent it will work, but if has a considerable enough effect and my theory about the Verite’s technical ability being hampered by the tuning is true, it might be possible to actually “fix” the Verite and put it back in the running as a genuine consideration.

There’s also the Verite Closed variant to consider as well, which I haven’t personally heard but have seen impressions from “hollow and boxy” to “identical to if not better than the Verite Open”. Curious how the midrange will be like on that and if it might rectify my general gripe with the Verite. Any thoughts?

Not sure where you got “hollow and boxy,” on the VC, whoever that is either has a crap amp, or is deaf. They take everything good about the VO with greater presence and impact.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #3,457 of 9,513
Not sure where you got “hollow and boxy,” on the VC, whoever that is either has a crap amp, or is deaf. They take everything good about the VO with greater presence and impact.
Well... The Verite Closed do come in a nice wooden case, and the case will be hollow after you remove the headphones. Maybe they formed the impression because they were listening to the VC case? It's boxy.

I can see how some of the more challenged among us could make the mistake. Both the headphones and the case are made of wood, and both will probably fit on your head.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,458 of 9,513

+1. I have had the VO for about a month and picked up my VC yesterday. Already I am hearing the VC do the technical magic that the VO does, with a more intimate presentation. Vocals are much closer and impactful to my ears. Subby sub bass has more punch and slam. Sound stage is a little smaller and separation takes a hit, but these are small negatives. Overall, I am starting to prefer the VC over the VO for anything vocal. Maybe the VO for classical / Jazz. The isolation of the VC is a nice bonus too. Far and away the best closed headphone I have ever heard. Might just end up being my favorite headphone overall.

"hollow and boxy"? No. Not to my ears. I would take a long hard look at the amp + DAC combination if you are hearing that. Something isn't right somewhere.

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #3,459 of 9,513
Fo a small fee, plus some 300b tubes, that can be arraigned :ksc75smile:

I sometimes think I am insane for having a 300B amp. Lots of heat, 24kg of metal, and it less than practical. But that SET sound from the 300B - it is truly sublime.

Had an ER300B go bad - the supplier were fantastic and shipped a replacement pair without fuss. These are now in action and sounding very, very nice.

Please excuse the blur below.

IMG-0040-1.jpg

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #3,460 of 9,513
I sometimes think I am insane for having a 300B amp. Lots of heat
I know the feeling.

It is 21° F outside. My windows are open. My EC ZDS is on. I'm comfortably listening to music. ZDS is my favorite space heater.

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #3,461 of 9,513
Well... The Verite Closed do come in a nice wooden case, and the case will be hollow after you remove the headphones. Maybe they formed the impression because they were listening to the VC case? It's boxy.

I can see how some of the more challenged among us could make the mistake. Both the headphones and the case are made of wood, and both will probably fit on your head.
Well, I definitely get some "hollow" and "boxy" from this setup.... Maybe I need to add more felt and foam....hmmm

PSX_20191107_132852.jpg

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #3,462 of 9,513
Well, I definitely get some "hollow" and "boxy" from this setup.... Maybe I need to add more felt and foam....hmmm

The trick to better audio with that set-up is to have proper positioning on the head. Try using truck tie downs with the mechanical ratchet thingy. Those provide better seal and improved bass. The tighter the better. Audio Nirvana occurs right before unconsciousness.

LOL. JK. Nice pic. Haha

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #3,463 of 9,513
The trick to better audio with that set-up is to have proper positioning on the head. Try using truck tie downs with the mechanical ratchet thingy. Those provide better seal and improved bass. The tighter the better. Audio Nirvana occurs right before unconsciousness.

LOL. JK. Nice pic. Haha
Hmmm...good call on the ratchet straps! I was just going to use bungee chords wrapped around the head and boxes to create a nice seal ( you know when you have a good seal when it feels like your head no longer is attached to your body due to circulation cut-off!) Now back to my audio nirvana boxy goodness!

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #3,464 of 9,513
Hmmm...good call on the ratchet straps! I was just going to use bungee chords wrapped around the head and boxes to create a nice seal ( you know when you have a good seal when it feels like your head no longer is attached to your body due to circulation cut-off!) Now back to my audio nirvana boxy goodness!
I'm pretty sure we've lost our minds. Isn't it fun? :)

Haha, you should make that pic your avatar. I LOL'd.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #3,465 of 9,513
Ha, now that you have achieved audio Nirvana, with the box, you can now send me that useless purple set of headphones of yours with that boxy coloration. LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back