ZMF Verite Open
Aug 28, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #8,911 of 9,535
My VOs arrived on friday after having trouble with customs but they finally made it to me.

I know these are not the best pictures but it's impossible to show how good they look in person.

The wood is Black and White Ebony, my dream wood. Next to the WA5, it took a couple of years making the combo posible. Thank you Zach and the ZMF team!

They have around 15hrs of playtime. They still lack some burn in but I'm enjoying it every minute.

Although it is softer compared to other Ebony species like Macassar, I think it is still considered hardwood with around 1700 janka hardness. Maybe someone with a better understanding can confirm it.
Magnificent!

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #8,912 of 9,535
Love that Mango wood color!
Hehe I couldn't say no to that wood and also the fact it's the only mango AC. I saw mango Aeolus as ZMF rarities before but they were not finished so glossy and shiny golden.

I'm beginning to think that I need to try a soft(er) wood VO. I love my blackwood, but what am I missing out on? If there's ever been a headphone that I love enough to own 2 of, I reckon this is it.

I have to say I'm extremely happy with the Blackwood VO, and it sounds like for mostly the same reasons as @Pharmaboy. I just thought it was cool to ponder that there might also be a slightly different flavor of VO out there that I would also love. I have always heard that the wood makes a minimal difference, but I certainly wouldn't pass up a chance to find out for myself. I'm thinking of making my way to Dallas Can Jam this year, so maybe then.
I had the VO in blackwood(3600janka), ironwood(3100), camphorburl (1800) and now redwood burl (480). I can tell you these were pretty different headphones.

Between blackwood and ironwood there is no difference. It sounds like your listening to a planar headphone. Notes appear and fade instantly in thin air. Drums only have a strong impact but fade artificially fast. That makes the bass area sound super thin and overly dampened. Fast transients, holographic staging, anemic punchy bass with the harder woods.
Camphor burl VO was a good middle ground. Still the fast driver was very noticeable.
Redwood takes the VO in a complete different direction. Smooth transients, the metallic timbre of the driver is gone, thicker bass overall but not punchy anymore. Low bass rolls off early but maybe I'm just spoiled by Caldera.
Seems very forgiving for amplification and tube rolling aswell.

I don't think the difference is that big with an open back. I own a Blackwood VO and it sounds very similiar to the (i think silkwood?) VO from a friend that i borrowed from. I have not directly A/B'ed them though...
A blackwood VO is fast like Caldera while my redwood VO has attributes like an Atrium actually.
Your blackwood VO surely sounds more unique compared to the other ZMFs.

Very beautiful headphones too!! I really like the combination of the reddish brown burl with the steel grill/rods.

Hoping to read a comparison between your VO and AC. I had the opportunity to compare the two briefly a few weeks ago but I would like to know the opinion of other people. I think they complement well one each other
Thank you. That will take some time. Right now I listen to the VO mostly.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #8,913 of 9,535
Can anyone plz kindly comment on their experience with Caldera ultra perf pads + VO? I use that pad on my atrium and it has been quite the revelation. I was wondering about the difference going from universe perf lamb to caldera ultra perf.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #8,914 of 9,535
Can anyone plz kindly comment on their experience with Caldera ultra perf pads + VO? I use that pad on my atrium and it has been quite the revelation. I was wondering about the difference going from universe perf lamb to caldera ultra perf.
I'll try and get them on my VO in the next day or two. That of course depends on if I can pull myself away from playing Starfield...

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #8,915 of 9,535
I'll try and get them on my VO in the next day or two. That of course depends on if I can pull myself away from playing Starfield...
Man, I was playing Remnent 2 on PS5 and kept getting my rear handed to me, so I started Baldurs Gate 3 yesterday on PS5. Same story. I guess I need to find a new secondary hobby

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #8,916 of 9,535
Man, I was playing Remnent 2 on PS5 and kept getting my rear handed to me, so I started Baldurs Gate 3 yesterday on PS5. Same story. I guess I need to find a new secondary hobby
Some of those fights in Baldur's Gate 3 are no joke (but at least for now, Starfield has also pulled me away from that). To keep it headphone related though, I really never tired of hearing those punchy spell effects in BG3 on the Auteurs. Great for all the dialogue too :grin:

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #8,917 of 9,535
Some of those fights in Baldur's Gate 3 are no joke (but at least for now, Starfield has also pulled me away from that). To keep it headphone related though, I really never tired of hearing those punchy spell effects in BG3 on the Auteurs. Great for all the dialogue too :grin:
The main issue with BG3 for me, is I don't know what the hell i'm doing. With Remnent 2 it's all about fast twitch/reaction/aiming. In BG3, I can be in the middle of a battle, go read War and Peace and come back to BG3 and it's still my turn. Very different game, but same result.

I watched a few beginners tips and tricks vids for BG3 today and that really helped me wrap my brain around what is possible in the game.
I'm looking forward to the Cyberpunk 2077 DLC, which drops in 3 weeks.

I need something to occupy my brain since my headphone system is currently jacked up and I can't listen to anything. It's been a 2 month long nightmare that I will detail in my next video in hopes I can help others who might go through it in the future. I will also be spilling beans on the companies who stand by their products and those that don't.

Sep 4, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #8,918 of 9,535
The main issue with BG3 for me, is I don't know what the hell i'm doing. With Remnent 2 it's all about fast twitch/reaction/aiming. In BG3, I can be in the middle of a battle, go read War and Peace and come back to BG3 and it's still my turn. Very different game, but same result.

I watched a few beginners tips and tricks vids for BG3 today and that really helped me wrap my brain around what is possible in the game.

I need something to occupy my brain since my headphone system is currently jacked up and I can't listen to anything. It's been a 2 month long nightmare that I will detail in my next video in hopes I can help others who might go through it in the future. I will also be spilling beans on the companies who stand by their products and those that don't.
Dang, that sucks. I thought you finally had your rig all locked in???

Sep 4, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #8,919 of 9,535
Dang, that sucks. I thought you finally had your rig all locked in???
It's been like peeling the world's biggest and most expensive onion.
Everytime I think I'm on top of it, I find another issue.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #8,920 of 9,535

I look forward to the video and am very sorry to hear you’ve had those challenges.

I can only imagine what gaming would sound like with my head-fi rig… started playing Starfield last night. 😁🚀

Sep 5, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #8,921 of 9,535
It's been like peeling the world's biggest and most expensive onion.
Everytime I think I'm on top of it, I find another issue.
Sorry to hear buddy. I know how big of a role your audio gear plays in your life!!

Sep 5, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #8,922 of 9,535
Speaking of games, I still remember the first time I plugged in my Verite to play The Last of Us and the sound was SO spacious that I freaked out and I had to take them off and see if somehow my tv speakers had gotten way better because no way headphones sounded that expansive and that good. The music in that game is unbelievable and it is not too hard. Same with God of War.

Elden Ring… amazing music, especially the boss fights but definitely an ass kicker. I had told myself not to play any FromSoft games because I wasn’t looking for punishment while playing games, real life is punishing enough lol. I only caved because one of my bosses who is more casual than me got it and I was like of if they can play it, I can. I think they ended giving up but I did finish it, though it took a while. Even just while exploring, the music is beautiful and the Verite rended the music so well. I found myself so immersed and I’d lose track of time and then be exhausted at work the next day 😅.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #8,923 of 9,535
I too
Speaking of games, I still remember the first time I plugged in my Verite to play The Last of Us and the sound was SO spacious that I freaked out and I had to take them off and see if somehow my tv speakers had gotten way better because no way headphones sounded that expansive and that good. The music in that game is unbelievable and it is not too hard. Same with God of War.

Elden Ring… amazing music, especially the boss fights but definitely an ass kicker. I had told myself not to play any FromSoft games because I wasn’t looking for punishment while playing games, real life is punishing enough lol. I only caved because one of my bosses who is more casual than me got it and I was like of if they can play it, I can. I think they ended giving up but I did finish it, but it took a while. But even just while exploring, the music is beautiful and the Verite rended the music so well. I found myself so immersed and I’d loose track of time and then be exhausted at work the next day 😅.

Red Dead Redemption 2 had outstanding audio and music, I enjoyed it on my Caldera and HD 650.
Cyberpunk 2077 also and I also liked No Man's Sky but that game got boring fast.

Just bought Starfield yesterday and hopefully it's worth the hype!

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #8,924 of 9,535
Listening to my old Verite Open for past couple of days after weeks with Caldera. Cant get over how beautifully this headphone is tuned, there is something really magical about it which I cant point my finger at. While Caldera is much more detailed, balanced and unveiled, Verite just can immerse you in some tracks like no other headphone can :)

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #8,925 of 9,535
I need something to occupy my brain since my headphone system is currently jacked up and I can't listen to anything. It's been a 2 month long nightmare that I will detail in my next video in hopes I can help others who might go through it in the future
Sad to read this. It's hard to stay so much time with issues in your audio chain. Hope the problem is solved as soon as possible

Looking forward to watch your next video

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back