ZMF Verite Open
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #1,816 of 9,561
Why not will have no distortion at 1 or 2 watts. And it will drive any headphone not many OTLs can do that.
I like this plan.

(Shoot for 60W LOL...)

Apr 22, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #1,817 of 9,561
8 w?? why su much power? isn't it useless?

There is no such thing as “useless power,” the only potential issue is with a balance mismatch with a volume set below 9:00. Extra power is at worst extra headroom and dynamics, and also an OTL that can drive planar headphones.

Who knows, you could also drive efficient speakers with said OTL.

Apr 22, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,818 of 9,561
Why not will have no distortion at 1 or 2 watts. And it will drive any headphone not many OTLs can do that.

Glenn is the Mad Scientist of amps...never doubt what this man can pull off.

@2359glenn perhaps get an HE-6 or an Abyss and make it so it can drive those beasts too....That would be game over!

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,821 of 9,561
Nice write-up. I'm sorry if I missed it, but which pads did you use with the Verite?
You know what, you didn’t miss it, I forgot to write that I used the stock pads on all them. I’ll edit the post when I have time to reflect that. (Thank you btw).

Also with numerous pads being offered I’ll try to elaborate which specific ones they are as well.

With all the variables I was already working with I knew trying to pad roll on top of it would have made my head explode!

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,822 of 9,561
BE2 pads ordered.

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #1,823 of 9,561
Apr 23, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,824 of 9,561
They have arrived.

IMG_20190423_154050.jpg

Apr 23, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,825 of 9,561
Apr 24, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #1,827 of 9,561
Jesus Christ, look at the pattern on these... I bet they smell as good as they look
I was so taken by their looks, I completely forgot to sniff them.

I'll get on that. Tomorrow.

Maybe.

:wink:

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,828 of 9,561
Just finished my review of the Verite:

Speed is harder for me to characterize, since it doesn't have the planar timbre, but if anything the Verite sounds more like a planar than a dynamic. It is extremely fast. I'm just not sure which is faster between it and the Utopia.

I read the above and was thinking about how to characterize Verite speed with respect to planars. This is a weird analogy, but I'm sure some of you know why it's on my mind: Verite is "fast" like a planar, but if Verite were an Avenger, it'd be fast and nimble like Captain America, while a planar (LCD say) would be fast and weighty like Hulk. Sorry ... :)

But more seriously, aside from speed, I don't think Verite sound anything like a planar at all. Aside from the timbre, it also lacks planar compression, and I hear it as being well within the dynamic family of headphones. The sound has a certain weight (heft, punch, slam), but it's also not planar weight -- which actually might be planar compression that I hear as weight.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #1,829 of 9,561
Based on memory, Verite almost as fast as Utopia, maybe the wood decay made it tad slower... But Utopia way faster than my Ether flow...

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,830 of 9,561
I read the above and was thinking about how to characterize Verite speed with respect to planars. This is a weird analogy, but I'm sure some of you know why it's on my mind: Verite is "fast" like a planar, but if Verite were an Avenger, it'd be fast and nimble like Captain America, while a planar (LCD say) would be fast and weighty like Hulk. Sorry ... :)

But more seriously, aside from speed, I don't think Verite sound anything like a planar at all. Aside from the timbre, it also lacks planar compression, and I hear it as being well within the dynamic family of headphones. The sound has a certain weight (heft, punch, slam), but it's also not planar weight -- which actually might be planar compression that I hear as weight.

Yeah that's exactly how I'm thinking of it. Great analogy haha. The Hulk is pretty fast too, but in a different way. There are some 'non-hulk' planars as well (Hifiman), but I think you perfectly summed up what I mean by "sounds like a planar without the planar timbre".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back