ZMF Verite Open
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #7,426 of 9,535
In an over generalized summation, the Pheasantwood sounds like a deep-softer-etheareal sound that reminds me of a tube sound and the Blackwood has a fast, dynamic, and holographic solid state effect.
Spot on! Totally agree with this!

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #7,427 of 9,535
Looking for assistance pairing in the following context for Verite opens if anyone can provide some advice:

I currently have a pair of Auteurs that are paired with an older Kenzie with an in-house modified 300 output impedance instead of the original stock 600, to accommode ZMFs better.

My goal is to upgrade to the VO's and also upgrade my amp. I want to keep the same sound signature and warmth of my current combo, but eek out more resolution, detail, and a wider soundstage if possible.

The only context I will be using them in is PC -> ifi micro IUSB 3.0 -> Qutest -> amp -> VOs.

The amps I am considering are:
ZMF Pendant SE
AmpsandSound (Mogwai, Kenzie Ovation, Bigger Ben??)
Auris HA2 SF
Feliks Euforia 20th Anniversary

Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #7,428 of 9,535
I currently have a pair of Auteurs that are paired with an older Kenzie with an in-house modified 300 output impedance instead of the original stock 600, to accommode ZMFs better.

My goal is to upgrade to the VO's and also upgrade my amp. I want to keep the same sound signature and warmth of my current combo, but eek out more resolution, detail, and a wider soundstage if possible.
Great thing about the VO is that it is easy to make it sound good so pairing with your existing kenzie should make for a great listening. I primarily use the Eddie Current Studio B to pair with my VO and it greatly improve the soundstage of any headphones I tried and is one of the most resolving amp I've heard so I'd highly recommend getting it if you want an upgrade. I'd also recommend the DNA amps but it does have a long build time so I'd suggest you message Donald to check.

Feb 7, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #7,429 of 9,535
Looking for assistance pairing in the following context for Verite opens if anyone can provide some advice:

The only context I will be using them in is PC -> ifi micro IUSB 3.0 -> Qutest -> amp -> VOs.

ZMF Pendant SE
Auris HA2 SF

I was looking at Amp&Sound stuff but didn't look further.... took a closer look at their circuit and saw between the high and low ohm HP outputs, they just soldered some resistors and call it a day..... if i'm buying few 100 quid chifi amp, i'd be ok with that but if i'm paying few 1000, i'd expect something more.....

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #7,430 of 9,535

ZMF Pendant SE
Auris HA2 SF

Hi,
I wanted to pass on my experience, admittedly limited, with the Pendant SE. I have no experience with the other amps you are considering other than reading multiple reviews. I use the Pendant with Verite closed, Aeolus, Rad 0. I love the design, appearance, and sound, but have a persistent 50-60hz hum, especially on the high Z output and much less noticeable on the low Z. I have tried most of the recommended fixes without success. This hum is more noticeable on the VC than the Aeolus, and Rad 0. It is audible during quiet passages and between songs . Others feel that it sometimes resolves with time (mine hasn’t), or that aftermarket power cables, better tubes, etc has helped significantly. As much as I love this amp, I find it annoying and I am not sure I would repeat this purchase. The Ampsandsound amps and Justin have a great reputation on this site. The Kenzie Ovation has multiple choices for impedance matching and seems to be quieter, from what I have read, but would contact Justin to confirm. The Auris SF and Euforia AE reportedly are slightly less warm and a bit more detailed than the Auris SE and base Euforia from the reviews I have read. I would assume that with careful selection of tubes that you could find the warmth you are looking for. Just my 2 cents worth….

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #7,431 of 9,535

ZMF Pendant SE
Auris HA2 SF

I have not heard Kenzie but from what I understand it is a bit warmer than Euforia. For that reason You may want to have a look at warmer amps, such as La Figaro 339 or Feliks Elise.

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #7,432 of 9,535

ZMF Pendant SE
Auris HA2 SF

The Feliks Euphoria AE is fundamentally slightly warm. Most 6sn7 & 6as7 tubes are on the warm side also.
The Euphoria is dead silent with most tubes that i have and has great Synergy with ZMF headphones. Recommended.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #7,433 of 9,535
I'm currently listening with the Verite Open Camphor Burl (LCD Premium Cable). Good resonance with dynamic and lively energy. Very cool sound profile :). I don't know if it's the cups, but it's very different from the Verite Open Ltd. Erskine. Both are excellent headphones with unique discernible qualities, with one being that the Erskine has more air, sparkle, or transparency, still matching in the elegance of rendering -- just different styles!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #7,434 of 9,535

ZMF Pendant SE
Auris HA2 SF

I am a proud owner of both the Bigger Ben Rev 2 and Agartha 2021. I would take a look at the AmpsandSound Agartha as well. This amp, in my experience has a humongous space, resolution, detail, and wide soundstage, amongst the amps that I've tried. Bigger Ben is something you'd may want to consider as well. I've found that the Bigger Ben has more emphasized timbre with a still awesome, awesome stage and imaging, whereas the Agartha everything is birds-eye yet elegant. The notes in the Agartha are less colored and emphasized, but it's incredibly spacious. I haven't posted my impressions on the Agartha yet, but I've had it for about 3-4 months.

Something you'd may want to know is that Justin has told me that the Agartha is for the patient person. It's a truly wonderful amp that has great imaging.

Although, I'm playing with Modi Multibit -> AmpsandSound Kenzie OG Rev 2 with my VO Erskine, and I can tell you this chain is no slouch, and has an appeal that rivals Bigger Ben Rev 2 and Agartha 2021 sound (which has a richer timbre, sounds "deeper", and incredibly spacious in place of the slam of the Kenzie). The Kenzie has its own awesome, crispy liveliness and dynamism that is very engaging with spectacular bass presence. I still need to try my VO's with Feliks Audio Euforia/G1217 Project Sunrise III as well.

It's funny when I'm experimenting with different chains, I find some awesome combinations.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #7,435 of 9,535
I'm currently listening with the Verite Open Camphor Burl (LCD Premium Cable). Good resonance with dynamic and lively energy. Very cool sound profile :). I don't know if it's the cups, but it's very different from the Verite Open Ltd. Erskine. Both are excellent headphones with unique discernible qualities, with one being that the Erskine has more air, sparkle, or transparency, still matching in the elegance of rendering -- just different styles!

Hi did you listen on Mp3 compressed recordings with it ?

Feb 18, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #7,440 of 9,535
FLAC, baby!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back