ZMF Verite Open
May 18, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #2,042 of 9,535
Ok first impressions of the Verite, after an hour of listening :)

First off. These are biuriful. Ziricote wood. It looks awesome with the black hardware! I'd love to see them with the brass hardware as well :)

Soundwise. These are completely different than what I am used to. I'm used to open back planar magnetics that are either lean and brighter or heading that way. These are warm and cozy (wozy - thanks bert reviews.)

Punchy in a way that reminds me of the Utopia. That might just be the DD similarities, more than the headphones themselves though.

The soundstage isn't as big as I am used to, but it is pleasant. The treble sounds a bit muffled compared to what I am used to, but I think as I listen more my ears will get used to it. Not a deal breaker yet anyhow.

Build is really solid, and again, biuriful.

Was your first hour listening straight out of box without burn time?

May 18, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,044 of 9,535
Just out of curiosity, do you think you are going to buy them back if you no longer need urgent cash in the future? Or just move on to try something else?

well before i die i want to try lcd4 and meze... so it is a difficutl question..
the thing is i just love the way they sound... so i don't know what to do...
yesterday night i spent 2 hours a/bing verite vs aeolus... i don't like abing very much. because it is not listening to music but listening to the setup. and now i am more conflicted then before.

aeolus has a more relaxing presentation due to its laid back nature. it is more flat but i am not talking about the frequency range. i am talking about the tridimensionality. aeolus is more 2d, verite is 3d.
i listened to barrel of a gun live in the deluxe version of ultra by dpeche mode. the percussions are more piercing and real with verite.
with verite is all more in your face, not in a fatiguing way.
i just can't keep them both, even if they are different enough.
with aeolus you can blast metallica like there is no tomorrow without an inch of fatigue.
decisions decisions

May 18, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #2,045 of 9,535
Was your first hour listening straight out of box without burn time?

Absolutely no burn time at all. Don't worry, they are getting burnt in (including lots of listening time!) I just couldn't wait to listen : )

One thing I'd like to thank ZMF for is no stupid "mechanical clipping" limitation like the Focal cans have. I just turned on the bass boost on my iFi iDSD BL out of curiosity and holy smoke! These can do bass!

May 18, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #2,046 of 9,535
Finally getting some quality time with my Verite and the new pure silver cable from ZMF.

Did some pad swapping between the Verite/Universe/Uni Suede's. The Verite's are my least favorite by far. Especially don't like what it does with the staging and bass. What I found interesting was that I preferred the Universe pads with my Liquid Crimson and the Uni Suede's with my Milo. The Milo is a tad warmer than the Crimson, thus the slightly brighter Suede's matched up with it. One of the reasons I always stress the importance of synergy in your entire chain. Just that subtle pad swap makes a big difference.

May 18, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #2,047 of 9,535
Finally getting some quality time with my Verite and the new pure silver cable from ZMF.

Did some pad swapping between the Verite/Universe/Uni Suede's. The Verite's are my least favorite by far. Especially don't like what it does with the staging and bass. What I found interesting was that I preferred the Universe pads with my Liquid Crimson and the Uni Suede's with my Milo. The Milo is a tad warmer than the Crimson, thus the slightly brighter Suede's matched up with it. One of the reasons I always stress the importance of synergy in your entire chain. Just that subtle pad swap makes a big difference.
Pictures or it didn’t happen....especially that pure silver cable :wink:

May 18, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #2,048 of 9,535
May 19, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #2,050 of 9,535
well before i die i want to try lcd4 and meze... so it is a difficutl question..
the thing is i just love the way they sound... so i don't know what to do...
yesterday night i spent 2 hours a/bing verite vs aeolus... i don't like abing very much. because it is not listening to music but listening to the setup. and now i am more conflicted then before.

aeolus has a more relaxing presentation due to its laid back nature. it is more flat but i am not talking about the frequency range. i am talking about the tridimensionality. aeolus is more 2d, verite is 3d.
i listened to barrel of a gun live in the deluxe version of ultra by dpeche mode. the percussions are more piercing and real with verite.
with verite is all more in your face, not in a fatiguing way.
i just can't keep them both, even if they are different enough.
with aeolus you can blast metallica like there is no tomorrow without an inch of fatigue.
decisions decisions

If I need to make a choice and a more expensive cannot dominate unilaterally so that it makes me feel conflicted, I would choose a much less expensive one without hesitation. But that's just me. And yes, the lcd4 and the meze are the ones that are worth trying. Good luck!

May 19, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,051 of 9,535
Yea yea, they're coming tomorrow.

Looks like due to crappy weather, pics will get bumped to tomorrow. Trying to at least get some decent sunlight. *sigh*

May 19, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #2,053 of 9,535
i don't find thinnest pads to be brighter. quite the opposite. also on the site it is written that
“flat, wider version of the Universe pad. So we took the Universe pad ear cavity, and kept the internal ear-side volume, while making the pad flatter. This smooths the frequency response out by moving the ear closer to the driver. "
but in the end says
"you can switch back and forth for a warmer experience with the Universe pad, and a more linear experience with the VÉRITÉ pad."

May 20, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,054 of 9,535
Back from Beach and back to break-in. Last night I decided to just use my iTunes library that is all Apple Lossless to break in Verites. First time I have woke up in the morning and they were still playing. Should get a good 150 hours this week of break in.

May 20, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #2,055 of 9,535
after the first 100 hours of break-in i give my ziricote vérité these days extended listenings. it's a beautiful made headphone and i ordered it unheard also because i like the look of the many "woody" headphone i owned. now this zmf is superb made, from the wood to the leather nice done and the headphone even smells nice :). the sound was a surprise, it's better then i expected, the right balance of details, nice soundstage and great musicality. reminds me a bit of a mix between a lcd4 and a utopia. because i didn't looked for a totl neutral headphone (allready have and like these) the zmf is a fine match to complete this missing character in my collection. like his very relaxed sound signature (with the orginal fitted pads) and his wide and a bit special soundstage. drives fine from my diy ksa5. price - performance ratio is one of the best beside the sr-007. very happy, thanks zmf for this gem :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back