ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 24, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #12,286 of 12,507
Hey ZMF folks here's something that might interest you ALL...

Vanessa Daou- American singer-songwriter and poet.

Songs for Solace (2020)
Songs For Lovers (2018)

Absolutely gorgeous
female vocals. Jazz. Modern jazz with notes of traditional here & there. Recording of both albums is STELLAR. If you own the Verite…Atrium or the Caldera…BOTH albums are essential. It’s like they were made for and with these particular headphones in mind. This is coming from a guy that has HIGHLY recommended Dead Can Dance- “Anastasis” for essential ZMF listening forever (still is one of the best!) These two albums, even in simple 16 Bit FLAC, are seriously worth a late-night listen!! WOW!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #12,287 of 12,507

Songs for Solace (2020)
Songs For Lovers (2018)

Absolutely gorgeous
female vocals. Jazz. Modern jazz with notes of traditional here & there. Recording of both albums is STELLAR. If you own the Verite…Atrium or the Caldera…BOTH albums are essential. It’s like they were made for and with these particular headphones in mind. This is coming from a guy that has HIGHLY recommended Dead Can Dance- “Anastasis” for essential ZMF listening forever (still is one of the best!) These two albums, even in simple 16 Bit FLAC, are seriously worth a late-night listen!! WOW!
Thanks for the tip - will listen...

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #12,288 of 12,507

Songs for Solace (2020)
Songs For Lovers (2018)

Absolutely gorgeous
Great stuff! Thanks, now on my radar!👍🙏😎

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #12,289 of 12,507
The last week I have been into the North Mississippi Allstars pretty deep, just killer with the VC.

JOEVCA.jpg

NMASHWS.jpg
NMABLATF.jpg

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #12,290 of 12,507
VC is still the first headphone I reach for when I catch bits of a new song I like that I'm gonna add to my library. Must be hard creating your magnum opus so soon in the headphone game, ZMF.
Obviously I kid because they all have their strengths, but still years later I want to know how vocal and instrument timbre sound specifically on this headphone. 🤌🧑‍🍳👄
Suede universe solid pads take away some technicals and punch, but create this colored velvety soft timbre that just clicks with me and the flatter but not too flat pad gives a perfect amount of energy for my preferences.
Some good music rec's in here recently.

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #12,291 of 12,507
VC is still the first headphone I reach for when I catch bits of a new song I like that I'm gonna add to my library. Must be hard creating your magnum opus so soon in the headphone game, ZMF.
Obviously I kid because they all have their strengths, but still years later I want to know how vocal and instrument timbre sound specifically on this headphone. 🤌🧑‍🍳👄
Suede universe solid pads take away some technicals and punch, but create this colored velvety soft timbre that just clicks with me and the flatter but not too flat pad gives a perfect amount of energy for my preferences.
Some good music rec's in here recently.
I love the Atrium Open, yet, when I found that I needed to trim down my collection due to life priorities, I ultimately kept my VC, VO, and Atrium Closed.

It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's just something magical, nuanced, and unique about both the VC and VO.

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #12,292 of 12,507
I love the Atrium Open, yet, when I found that I needed to trim down my collection due to life priorities, I ultimately kept my VC, VO, and Atrium Closed.

It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's just something magical, nuanced, and unique about both the VC and VO.
Interesting. I have the VC and when I was looking to "expand" I immediately thought...Atrium. Atrium open to be exact. Then I really debated for a couple weeks between the open and the closed back. I came SUPER close to going closed but I figured I already have the VC and I should do an Open in the Atrium...plus, the holographics (which I seemed to be addicted to) is so insane with the AO... I pulled that trigger. If I decide to get anything else (which is unlikely, but not completely out ruled) It will be a closed back Caldera...whenever that drops.

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #12,293 of 12,507
Atrium...plus, the holographics (which I seemed to be addicted to) is so insane with the AO... I pulled that trigger.
Honestly, can't go wrong with either.
Despite being sensitive to the midrange and upper-mids, I still love the AO.
Zach is a wizard when it comes to tuning.

I just found that the AC was more "unique" in its tuning, and has become more of my "basshead"/fun pair.

It will be a closed back Caldera...whenever that drops.
Yeah, the Caldera Closed will be extremely tempting. I'm very curious how it'll be tuned because if the mids are slightly pulled back, it could have some overlap with the AC.
If it's a bit more W-shaped, then there's a chance it could overlap with the VC. Not to mention, the VC is very planar-like in its speed and transient response.

Then there's the various tuning profiles of the Eikon, Atticus, and Bokeh to consider.

I wonder if the Caldera Closed will end up being the most linear of the entire ZMF lineup (while still retaining that ZMF musicality and timbre)..?
That'd be a done deal for me despite not needing or wanting any more cans beyond my current collection.

Jan 31, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #12,294 of 12,507

Songs for Solace (2020)
Songs For Lovers (2018)

Absolutely gorgeous
Pablo67: I listened to a few tracks from Songs for Solace as well as a couple of tracks from Dead Can Dance. I am listening to my VCs and these albums/songs sound awesome. I could not stop wondering how this would sound on my AO, especially on tracks that are more bass heavy. That being said, if I want some isolation, I reach for the VCs. This is the challenge w/owning more than one headphone from ZMF. Idk, one set of cans to match the mood? Thanks for the recommendations.

Jan 31, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #12,295 of 12,507
Honestly, can't go wrong with either.
Despite being sensitive to the midrange and upper-mids, I still love the AO.
Zach is a wizard when it comes to tuning.

I just found that the AC was more "unique" in its tuning, and has become more of my "basshead"/fun pair.

Yeah, the Caldera Closed will be extremely tempting. I'm very curious how it'll be tuned because if the mids are slightly pulled back, it could have some overlap with the AC.
If it's a bit more W-shaped, then there's a chance it could overlap with the VC. Not to mention, the VC is very planar-like in its speed and transient response.

Then there's the various tuning profiles of the Eikon, Atticus, and Bokeh to consider.

I wonder if the Caldera Closed will end up being the most linear of the entire ZMF lineup (while still retaining that ZMF musicality and timbre)..?
That'd be a done deal for me despite not needing or wanting any more cans beyond my current collection.
Great point(s) I can't imagine what Zach has up his sleeve for this. I'm sure he has thought the same interns of overlap. He may just blow everyone's minds with something we have never heard/experienced before... THIS is why I say, It is very possible that I pull a "trifecta" here. But to @acohen001's point.."which one? which mood?" It might be too much? I mean, great problem to have, but it may be a bit much!
I can see it. I can totally see this direction. Again, where else do you go from here? Linear...but definitely with some "twists" We shall see!
It will be very interesting to see if this all happens in 2024? This could very well be a spring 2025 release...

Feb 1, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #12,296 of 12,507

That was exactly how it went for me as well. I like the AO but I have a strong preference for the AC. When it comes to VC/VO, I wouldn't want to be without either one.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #12,298 of 12,507
Just curious... What did you find lacking in the AO vs the AC?

I wouldn't say the AO was lacking in any particular area. For me it was a case of the AC being preferable in a number of areas, with no real drawbacks. The imaging is sharper, it hits harder in the midrange, and the bass response is amazing. It's more engaging, and the whole presentation comes together perfectly for my preferences. In addition, the sound isolation of a closed-back is nice.

With the VO and VC, I would have an extremely hard time choosing between the two. Both are incredible in slightly different ways.

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #12,299 of 12,507
I wouldn't say the AO was lacking in any particular area. For me it was a case of the AC being preferable in a number of areas, with no real drawbacks. The imaging is sharper, it hits harder in the midrange, and the bass response is amazing. It's more engaging, and the whole presentation comes together perfectly for my preferences. In addition, the sound isolation of a closed-back is nice.

With the VO and VC, I would have an extremely hard time choosing between the two. Both are incredible in slightly different ways.
Nice… and that makes sense! I definitely hear you on the VC & VO. I went VC purely based on sound prefs AND the opportunity to nab the VC in the African Blackwood. The planets kinda aligned for me that day. Funny thing tho… I thought about a full- on custom AC?
Giving me an open AND closed option. Maybe redundant?? I will say, @GoldenSound reviewed the Atrium recently that he owns… WOOW!!! The design was super simple, yet very elegant and stylish. I’ve seen dozens and dozens of customs… His, in my opinion, are by far the best I’ve seen…. And it’s the AO. I’m seriously wondering how something like that would look with a full cup coverage…

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #12,300 of 12,507

It was the opposite for me. After a week of trying AC on my own gear I still ended up preferring how the AO was tuned (ownership bias aside, AO sounded a little bit smoother & refined, more natural and open without sacrificing bass). Don't get me wrong AC is amazing, but it was just a touch too hot for me to replace AO. If I ever end up owning AC it would be a complement to the AO.

I can definitely see owning them all! Just don't mention how much they cost to your partner or whatever, and you're golden!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back