ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #11,866 of 12,586
Can anyone comment on the lamb be2 vs the Auteur lamb and universe lamb? I could get one for a good price but I fear it will be a little overlapping, considering they are all lamb and on the Aeolus I love the uni suede.
In my country there are actually no new pads available from the shops, so I have to rely on other countries in Europe to get the hybrid or suede one.

What about the bbb strap? is it comfortable?
I'm not sure if this will be super helpful, but I'll offer what I know.

I have the Auteur Lambskin and the Universe Suede. I find the auteur Lambskin offers a bit thicker mids with a much more focus on the timbre of things like vocals and strings. They are pretty big and heavy with a big angle on them. I find the stage larger and these are my preferred ones for most listening.

When I listen to classical, I'll switch to suede. The suede pads are thinner and less angled. I think they thin out the mids a bit and offer a bit more treble extension. It's more "neutral" to my ears. Between these 2 pads, I don't think I need any others.

Jun 25, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #11,867 of 12,586
Finally received the Auteur Hybrid pads and they have lived up to the hype. Big thanks for those of you who suggested I get these. Loving the added clarity over the Auteur Lambskin. Although the bass quantity is slightly reduced, it's still a very accurate and satisfying bass presentation. Vocals are to die for. There's a pleasing tonal balance here and probably the easiest to kick back + relax to over sound the other pads I have. Still absolutely adore the Universe Lambskin pads for a more detailed and dynamic sound (wish I had another VC fitted with those to save me having to change pads lol).

Also got the ZMF 2K copper cable which I'm very happy with.

It's not even funny how much better the VC are over other closed backs I've tried tbh...

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #11,868 of 12,586
Welp, looks like I finally get to join the ZMF club! I get to exprience what all the praise is about!

Intial impression, this is the best closed back, I've experienced. Most open sounding a closed back can get. The soundstage is massive for a closed back, compared to my Sony Mdr Z1R, i'd say they are playing in the same league, sound stage-wise. Enjoying the signature of the ZMF verite closed a lot more then the Z1R. The Verite closed is way more natural sounding then the Z1R. The Z1R is a more energetic closed back. If I had to pick one over the other I would keep the ZMF verite closed, and sell my Z1R.

Im off this weekend so have time to dive deep into my ZMF verite closed sound. I also ordered a Verite open off the forum, but the deal fell through. Been in talks with Zach to get a b stock. Was debating should I go Open or closed Verite, still undecided because I cant compare the two as of yet. For now I dont see myself getting rid of my verite closed. So I guess I am decided :dt880smile:

Have 3 sets of pads to roll to see which is my favorite. Been looking at the graphs, looks like the pads change the frequency quite a bit, like having different Hp. Well, dont want to bore you guys with stuff you already know. I will keep enjoying the best closed backs I've ever owned. These are keepers for sure.

One beautiful Hp!
Yeah they are the best closed backs I’ve ever tried as well. Wide sound stage, great separation, great punch and slam (like a Focal had kids with a LCD-X) and that tonality… it’s the most natural sounding HP I own and top of the heap of what I’ve tried.

These are my daily drivers at work after the Aeon 2C and I’ll never go back. I’ll save those for my travels I guess..,

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #11,869 of 12,586
I completely agree, such an amazing sound from the Verite closed. Love night times when my wife is sleep, so I have an excuse to put on my Verite closed backs. Like I would need an excuse to enjoy these babys. Beats many open backs.

Been listening to my Verite closed non stop since I got them. I like to listen to one headphone so I can dig deep into its particular sound. Enjoying this hp more then some open backs. Don't know how zmf made this closed can, so open. It has to be magic :beyersmile:. Pad rolling was fun, it truly is a different headphone with each pad roll. Everyone would be able to find the sound they are after. I settled on the BE2 Hybrid Suede/lamb (non perforated). My favorite sound for the verite closed. YMMW

Finally acquired a Verite open back, will spend some time getting to know this hp. I already know I love what zmf has done with the verite closed. A lot of people prefer the verite closed over the verite open, I want to see why for myself. I have one fun weekend ahead of me.

My verite open silkwood has arrived and look he brought a friend, haha a rather large one at that. I won't hook up my Yggy Og until the Rag 2 arrives. I still want to compare and contrast the Verite Closed with the Verite Open on my Hifiman ef600. Thats been what I've primarily been listening too.

20230627_192337.jpg

The weekend needs to hurry up and get here!

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #11,870 of 12,586
A lot of people prefer the verite closed over the verite open, I want to see why for myself. I have one fun weekend ahead of me.
I'm really interested in your impressions on this. I should have a (used) Verite Closed coming to me on Saturday and I'm really excited to hear it, but the Verite Open is, in my opinion, the best looking headphone ZMF makes. I don't know that I could justify one alongside the VC and Auteur Classic though.

Jul 1, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #11,871 of 12,586
New (to me) VCs courtesy of @some dude . Hoping to get more head time on them soon (closed backs little harder to pop on for quick listening during the day when family may be trying to get my attention) but wanted to take a quick pic as the chatoyance on these things is wild.

20230701_143642.jpg

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #11,872 of 12,586
New (to me) VCs courtesy of @some dude . Hoping to get more head time on them soon (closed backs little harder to pop on for quick listening during the day when family may be trying to get my attention) but wanted to take a quick pic as the chatoyance on these things is wild.

20230701_143642.jpg
Hopefully they treat you as good as they treated me, enjoy.

Jul 3, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #11,873 of 12,586
Not sure what everyone is using for cables, but I just got a custom Hart Audio cable with a 90 degree 1/4 in termination for my Verite Closed and it looks phenomenal! Highly recommend Hart Audio cables! I use their interconnect system with my other headphones as well, but the thick braided cables don't use the interconnects, so made a special one to match 😉.
1000003184.jpg

Jul 4, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #11,874 of 12,586
In the AC thread I had mentioned how I often run into comfort issues with parts of my ears pressing into the driver covers on headphones if the pads aren't quite deep. @zach915m mentioned sticking some paracord under the inner edges of the pads to push them away from the driver a bit and I've had a bit of success with that on the Auteur, which has titan mesh which is pretty flush and has a little give. However I've found on the VC, the driver cover actually protrudes out from the surface of the housing so it's more noticeable inside the pad and paracord that's tucked under the pad foam ends up kinda disappearing into the recessed area (unless you really pack a bunch in and then it just becomes a bit bulky and unruly).

Anyway, my question was, I know my VC was manufactured in 2021 originally and I was curious if anyone knows if this part of the design and construction had changed at all on more recent VCs? I've noticed the Atrium Closed has a driver cover that sits in a recessed space within the housing so it actually sits flush with it. I think the Verite Open may also have a similar design. I expect the VC has maintained the same design and Zach has it that way for a specific reason but figured I'd ask. It's not a deal breaker by any means (The VC is really impressing me as I'm getting more familiar with it) but it was a comfort quirk for me that I'd noticed.

Pics for reference:
VC driver cover
20230703_223314.jpg

AC driver cover (photograph sourced from @Alenotta's AC review - which has fantastic photography throughout btw)
DSC09785.jpg

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #11,875 of 12,586
In the AC thread I had mentioned how I often run into comfort issues with parts of my ears pressing into the driver covers on headphones if the pads aren't quite deep. @zach915m mentioned sticking some paracord under the inner edges of the pads to push them away from the driver a bit and I've had a bit of success with that on the Auteur, which has titan mesh which is pretty flush and has a little give. However I've found on the VC, the driver cover actually protrudes out from the surface of the housing so it's more noticeable inside the pad and paracord that's tucked under the pad foam ends up kinda disappearing into the recessed area (unless you really pack a bunch in and then it just becomes a bit bulky and unruly).

Anyway, my question was, I know my VC was manufactured in 2021 originally and I was curious if anyone knows if this part of the design and construction had changed at all on more recent VCs? I've noticed the Atrium Closed has a driver cover that sits in a recessed space within the housing so it actually sits flush with it. I think the Verite Open may also have a similar design. I expect the VC has maintained the same design and Zach has it that way for a specific reason but figured I'd ask. It's not a deal breaker by any means (The VC is really impressing me as I'm getting more familiar with it) but it was a comfort quirk for me that I'd noticed.

Pics for reference:
VC driver cover

AC driver cover (photograph sourced from @Alenotta's AC review - which has fantastic photography throughout btw)
There haven't been any changes or updates, I really pride myself on the fact that once released, we have never done a silent or update otherwise to any headphone.

The Atrium closed driver is a bit more recessed which is what allows it to be in like that vs the the VC.

Are you using auteur pads with the paracord? I think they are the deepest of what we offer and is my preferred pad on the VC.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 5, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #11,876 of 12,586
There haven't been any changes or updates, I really pride myself on the fact that once released, we have never done a silent or update otherwise to any headphone.

The Atrium closed driver is a bit more recessed which is what allows it to be in like that vs the the VC.

Are you using auteur pads with the paracord? I think they are the deepest of what we offer and is my preferred pad on the VC.
Thanks for the reply and explanation. It is the Auteur pads I tried with it, but may be due for a refresh, I think they were the previous owners main pad so I was aiming to grab some new ones once I found a preference. Will also see if I can find some more robust paracord to try.

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #11,877 of 12,586
I really love this, no need to worry about which revision of a headphone to get.

It is already tough enough to decide on what headphone, let alone a bunch of revisions of the same headphone.

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #11,878 of 12,586
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 10, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #11,879 of 12,586
The ZMF VC sound is so so so dependent on the headphone amp and the pads. The sound with some amps sounds borderline shouty or like the singer is sitting on the tip of your nose ... but with something like my current setup - Euforia EVO and Holo Audio Spring KTE - they are really magical and "organic" sounding. Same goes for the pads. Some are good with some amps, others less so, and even genres of music sounds better with certain pads.... well you catch my drift

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back