ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
May 31, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #11,806 of 12,512
I just got a pair of VCs this past week - admittedly I need to spend (much) more time listening/learning

I see the word "recessed" used many times throughout this thread going back a ways -- they did not immediately strike me as such.
You are not alone. The VC are expertly tuned, and with the right tubes that "recession" is not an issue whatsoever.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #11,807 of 12,512
I have never once though recessed when listening to my VC. I never understood when people have talked about it. I've had several pairs of headphones that presented this issue for me, these aren't one.

May 31, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #11,808 of 12,512
You are not alone. The VC are expertly tuned, and with the right tubes that "recession" is not an issue whatsoever.
I was one of the "recessed" proclaimers (although it was with the VO) - however - it turned out to be a matter of system synergy. It was suggested I try swapping out the DAC, cables, and amp to determine if it was indeed the Verite causing the recessed mids. It was not! The culprit was the DAC not being a good playmate with my amp (which I had no intention of changing) and creating an unbalanced overall system with the Verites. I did not have this problem with other headphones, included the Auteur Classic which sounded great in the system as it was. But with the Verites, the sound was way off. Removing the offending DAC (and using everything else I had on hand to try) removed the veil from the sound. My conclusion? System synergy is very important for the Verite, perhaps more-so than with many other headphones.

May 31, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #11,809 of 12,512
I was one of the "recessed" proclaimers (although it was with the VO) - however - it turned out to be a matter of system synergy. It was suggested I try swapping out the DAC, cables, and amp to determine if it was indeed the Verite causing the recessed mids. It was not! The culprit was the DAC not being a good playmate with my amp (which I had no intention of changing) and creating an unbalanced overall system with the Verites. I did not have this problem with other headphones, included the Auteur Classic which sounded great in the system as it was. But with the Verites, the sound was way off. Removing the offending DAC (and using everything else I had on hand to try) removed the veil from the sound. My conclusion? System synergy is very important for the Verite, perhaps more-so than with many other headphones.
I totally agree, and almost sold my VC's several times in the past when I had other amps on hand. However, with my HA300mk2 the VC's are insane and I never ever think about selling them anymore. In fact, all I can think about throughout the day, is getting home from work and listening with my VC's. :grin: Once you find the synergy, I really don't think there is a better closed back out there.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #11,810 of 12,512
In fact, all I can think about throughout the day, is getting home from work and listening with my VC's. :grin: Once you find the synergy, I really don't think there is a better closed back out there.
Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the AC 😉

May 31, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #11,811 of 12,512
Can’t wait to hear your impressions of the AC 😉
I can't wait to hear it. I have a good feeling it's going to be my favorite headphone.

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:34 AM Post #11,812 of 12,512
My VC Koa arrived yesterday :dt880smile:

IMG_1149.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1147.jpeg

Jun 7, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #11,813 of 12,512
Jun 7, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #11,815 of 12,512
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #11,817 of 12,512
I'm amazed at how well the VC handle classical. I'm only on week 2 with them - much more to learn about these magical headphones - did not expect to find such enjoyment with this genre .... :notes: :notes: :notes:

The resolution, separation, dynamics and air up top are sensational....

IMG_2735.jpeg
Mari.jpg
The Verite Closed is THE headphone for strings/brass/saxophone timbre, imo. It responds so well to upping the volume that it gets dangerous.

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #11,818 of 12,512
Would anyone be able to tell me whether there are any softer wood VCs out there (either in old or new runs) other than monkeypod and sapele?

Jun 12, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #11,819 of 12,512

Users who are viewing this thread

Back