ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Nov 22, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #11,251 of 12,513
Welp, I broke down and bought another VC :o2smile:

It was just too beautiful to pass up. I also got a silver cable this time (I previously only used copper). Third times a charm! I got this one:

VeriteClosed_198_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #11,253 of 12,513
I don't even consider my VC as a closed back because it absolutely doesn't sound like one. The 3dness of the VC makes it not sound closed at all. I am very happy I chose the VC over the VO especially now that I have the Atrium too.

I bought a second, similar VC as well. This will match my Macassar Ebony/Ruby Atrium.

Y7ETe4R_d.webp

wWHjUN1_d.webp

Would you fine gentleman like to give a brief comparison of the Atrium vs VC? I'm having a tough time picking between them. I do already have a Focal Clear in need of fixing up but probably I figured the Atrium would compliment it more.

I've also heard the Atriums get much better with power and I have a brand new class A SS Burson soloist ready to stretch it's feet.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #11,254 of 12,513
Would you fine gentleman like to give a brief comparison of the Atrium vs VC? I'm having a tough time picking between them. I do already have a Focal Clear in need of fixing up but probably I figured the Atrium would compliment it more.

I've also heard the Atriums get much better with power and I have a brand new class A SS Burson soloist ready to stretch it's feet.
They’re very different. Atrium is mid forward, kind of like a super hd650/600 depending on pads. Bass has a bit of warmth and is very weighty. VC on the other hand is slightly V shaped. Mids are a bit more recessed (again depending on pads). Bass is more extended but less in quantity, depending on pads. VC is very fast, almost planar like sound. Atrium is not very fast, transients are de-emphasized and the “body” of the note is more emphasized. VC head stage is more wide, while atriums is more spherical. VC reminds me of the hd800s a bit but it’s not a 1:1 comparison like the atrium and hd650 is (it is still closed after all). I wound up selling my atrium and keeping my VC after spending a lot of time with both (I’ve had the VC for longer). YMMV. I liked the atrium a lot with slow, vocal focused music and the VC handles busier stuff better.

It depends on what you want, but I’m almost inclined to suggest you try the VC to pair with the clear, as you’ll still have a technical, fast sound with a different presentation that you might like. The atrium might feel too slow in comparison, but it’s possible that’s something you’re after (as it also translates into a very natural sounding decay). Tonally I’d say the atrium is closer to the clear than VC, but they still sound very different (I haven’t heard the clear in a while though full disclosure)

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #11,255 of 12,513
give a brief comparison of the Atrium vs VC?
With both the Atrium and Caldera you can hear the evolution of the ZMF sound over the VO and VC. According to Zach there are elements of the ADS in both Verites, but the full Atrium damping system that is present in the Atrium, Auteur classic and Caldera take them to greater staging heights( and width and depth). The ADS also has a significant impact on the bass response.

Atrium trumps the VC almost universally across the board, except in speed, with the biggest difference being in the mids, staging, dynamics and tone. Unless you absolutely require the isolation that a closed back offers, I'd suggest the Atrium, or you can wait until the closed back Atrium and closed back Caldera drop.

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #11,256 of 12,513
They’re very different. Atrium is mid forward, kind of like a super hd650/600 depending on pads. Bass has a bit of warmth and is very weighty. VC on the other hand is slightly V shaped. Mids are a bit more recessed (again depending on pads). Bass is more extended but less in quantity, depending on pads. VC is very fast, almost planar like sound. Atrium is not very fast, transients are de-emphasized and the “body” of the note is more emphasized. VC head stage is more wide, while atriums is more spherical. VC reminds me of the hd800s a bit but it’s not a 1:1 comparison like the atrium and hd650 is (it is still closed after all). I wound up selling my atrium and keeping my VC after spending a lot of time with both (I’ve had the VC for longer). YMMV. I liked the atrium a lot with slow, vocal focused music and the VC handles busier stuff better.

It depends on what you want, but I’m almost inclined to suggest you try the VC to pair with the clear, as you’ll still have a technical, fast sound with a different presentation that you might like. The atrium might feel too slow in comparison, but it’s possible that’s something you’re after (as it also translates into a very natural sounding decay). Tonally I’d say the atrium is closer to the clear than VC, but they still sound very different (I haven’t heard the clear in a while though full disclosure)
I agree with so much here- while I have an Auteur OG and a VC, many of these statements hold true with the biocellulose driver vs. the Beryllium-coated Verité driver.

Between this post and the one by @Monsterzero , I’m leaning hard towards a Classic upgrade for my OG Auteur once Zach, Bevin, and team open those back up post-holidays (fingers crossed!). Much appreciated, folks- this was very helpful!

Nov 22, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #11,257 of 12,513

That's almost exactly how I hear these two as well.

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #11,258 of 12,513
VC is special in vocal, especially due to more effect of "woody reverb" that I think really nice. Very understandable for people to buy VC due to this reason, not only because of more isolation.

Verite in general, also perform "more discipline" in term of decay accuracy and layering of each notes when compared to Atrium.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #11,259 of 12,513
IMG_9336.jpg
VC and Atrium appreciation post:

Hard not to get caught up in all that ZMF November offers, especially with Caldera out!

I ended up not getting anything new (had to challenge myself!), which just deepened my appreciation for my VCs and Atriums. Listening now on the VC after listening only to the Atriums for a while and have fallen back in love them. Such an awesome compliment to the Atriums in both sound and looks! Hard to pry myself away from the Atriums though - their tone is so wonderfully addictive. VCs are in their own way too.

Good month to be grateful. Thanks, @zach915m, @BooUrns and the community here. Happy to be a part of it with you all!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #11,260 of 12,513
VC is special in vocal, especially due to more effect of "woody reverb" that I think really nice. Very understandable for people to buy VC due to this reason, not only because of more isolation.

Verite in general, also perform "more discipline" in term of decay accuracy and layering of each notes when compared to Atrium.
The "woody reverb" is a good way of putting it and love that description.

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #11,261 of 12,513
With both the Atrium and Caldera you can hear the evolution of the ZMF sound over the VO and VC. According to Zach there are elements of the ADS in both Verites, but the full Atrium damping system that is present in the Atrium, Auteur classic and Caldera take them to greater staging heights( and width and depth). The ADS also has a significant impact on the bass response.

Atrium trumps the VC almost universally across the board, except in speed, with the biggest difference being in the mids, staging, dynamics and tone. Unless you absolutely require the isolation that a closed back offers, I'd suggest the Atrium, or you can wait until the closed back Atrium and closed back Caldera drop.
I can't even begin to imagine how slammy the bass is gonna be on an Atrium Closed :L3000:

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #11,262 of 12,513
IMG_9336.jpgVC and Atrium appreciation post:

Hard not to get caught up in all that ZMF November offers, especially with Caldera out!

I ended up not getting anything new (had to challenge myself!), which just deepened my appreciation for my VCs and Atriums. Listening now on the VC after listening only to the Atriums for a while and have fallen back in love them. Such an awesome compliment to the Atriums in both sound and looks! Hard to pry myself away from the Atriums though - their tone is so wonderfully addictive. VCs are in their own way too.

Good month to be grateful. Thanks, @zach915m, @BooUrns and the community here. Happy to be a part of it with you all!
That's a pretty pair of Verite closed

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #11,263 of 12,513
Nov 23, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #11,264 of 12,513
I bought a second, similar VC as well. This will match my Macassar Ebony/Ruby Atrium.

Y7ETe4R_d.webp

wWHjUN1_d.webp

Welp, I broke down and bought another VC :o2smile:

It was just too beautiful to pass up. I also got a silver cable this time (I previously only used copper). Third times a charm! I got this one:

VeriteClosed_198_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Congrats to you guys.....that wood is beautiful.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #11,265 of 12,513

I feel like gonintendo hit the nail on the head with the Atrium. You really can't go wrong imo. It would all depend on what types of music you prefer. With Rock I would go with the Atrium. With jazz i would go with the VC. Dont let that make you think either of them don't perform great with any genre because they do but the weight in the notes of the Atrium just pair better with rock and the extended and more shimmering highs of the VC do better with jazz. They are about equal on acoustic music but done a bit differently. Vocals are better on the Atrium. Even though the Atrium is slower it still does wonders with faster music like metal. The staging is phenomenal on the Atrium and it has more authority with dynamics. I feel like the Atrium would definitely compliment the Clear more. I also think the Atrium is the easier listen of the two. It just sounds better with more genres. Like I said you really can't go wrong but I would factor in which genres you prefer into your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back