ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #10,141 of 12,522
In this case, you would use the RCA outputs of your Felkis and connect into the RCA inputs of your Burson. That way the tube amp is acting as a preamplifier into your solid state. Normally you would use your pre-amplifier to control the volume. What a lot of people like to do is to set their main amp on full volume, and then just adjust the volume with the pre-amp. No need to do this though, but some amps benefit slightly from having the volume pot set to max.

My advice is to set your volume to zero on the pre-amp and then gradually increase so you don't accidentally blow your headphones up :)
Sorry for the noob questions, but I was thinking about this and had a couple questions even though I know the thread moved on:
1) if you use the tube amp as a pre-amp, can you no longer use the headphone jack of the tube amp?
2) how does impedance come into play? It seems like this might be a good way to bring some OTL goodness to low impedance planars and dynamics if the solid state amp has a low output impedance.

I’ve been considering saving up for something from ampandsound so I can use both my high impedance ZMFs and Sennys, but also my low impedance planars and dynamics, but it does seem, from how people talk about them, that OTL amps have the most tube-y magic.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #10,142 of 12,522
I’ve been considering saving up for something from ampandsound so I can use both my high impedance ZMFs and Sennys, but also my low impedance planars and dynamics, but it does seem, from how people talk about them, that OTL amps have the most tube-y magic.
OTL's indeed have a slightly different sound, and are often the most "tube-y."

Unfortunately, there's no free lunch and then applies to this hobby as well. It's ultimately a game of compromise for both the electronics and the transducers/headphones.

Indeed, a big part of what makes the OTL sound is often attributed to the higher output impedance, And you should still be able to recreate a similar effect with the ampsandsound in the highest output impedance configuration (100 ohms). Another reason is that many OTL designs inject a fair amount of second order harmonic distortion (that tube warmth).

As someone who has built and restored quite a few amps (know enough to be dangerous, but still no expert), I personally wouldn't go down the path of using an OTL as a preamp. Tube pres are wonderful, but generally only in loudspeaker setups or in studio/recording chains. Also, some of the best headphone tube amps created are actually not OTL (but are either expensive and/or DIY).

If you're starting out in the tube journey, I'd recommend just going for the ampsandsound as they're simply awesome amps and offer the most versatility while retaining that tube magic. Then, you don't have to worry about buying multiple amps or limit your headphone collection.

tl;dr go with a tube amp that will work with your favorite sets of cans first, then get an OTL later if you still want to explore.

My favorites just happen to be 300 ohms, so I'm content with my OTL atm. :)

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #10,143 of 12,522
OTL's indeed have a slightly different sound, and are often the most "tube-y."

Unfortunately, there's no free lunch and then applies to this hobby as well. It's ultimately a game of compromise for both the electronics and the transducers/headphones.

Indeed, a big part of what makes the OTL sound is often attributed to the higher output impedance, And you should still be able to recreate a similar effect with the ampsandsound in the highest output impedance configuration. Another reason is that many OTL designs inject a fair amount of second order harmonic distortion (that tube warmth).

As someone who has built and restored quite a few amps (know enough to be dangerous, but still no expert), I personally wouldn't go down the path of using an OTL as a preamp. Tube pres are wonderful, but generally only in loudspeaker setups or in studio/recording chains. Also, some of the best headphone tube amps created are actually not OTL (but are either expensive and/or DIY).

If you're starting out in the tube journey, I'd recommend just going for the ampsandsound as they're simply awesome amps and offer the most versatility while retaining that tube magic. Then, you don't have to worry about buying multiple amps or limit your headphone collection.

tl;dr go with a tube amp that will work with your favorite sets of cans first, then get an OTL later if you still want to explore.

My favorites just happen to be 300 ohms, so I'm content with my OTL atm. :)
I knew it sounded too good to be true 😅. Thank you for the information and the suggestion of getting a non-OTL to start and then leaving room to explore further down the line.

Apr 8, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #10,144 of 12,522
Sorry for the noob questions, but I was thinking about this and had a couple questions even though I know the thread moved on:
1) if you use the tube amp as a pre-amp, can you no longer use the headphone jack of the tube amp?
2) how does impedance come into play? It seems like this might be a good way to bring some OTL goodness to low impedance planars and dynamics if the solid state amp has a low output impedance.

OTC tube amps like Woo Audio amps (WA22 for example) work well when used as a pre-amp into a solid state. Not sure about OTL's though, never tried.

As far as I know, my Woo amp has plenty of tubey goodness to it. Don't forget it also depends on what tubes you use :)

Apr 8, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #10,145 of 12,522
I knew it sounded too good to be true 😅. Thank you for the information and the suggestion of getting a non-OTL to start and then leaving room to explore further down the line.
I’ve heard good things about ampsandsound and decware tube amps. I have direct experience with Tor Audio OTC amp and recommend them but not sure if they are still in active operations as they are based in Ukraine.

Apr 9, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #10,146 of 12,522
Such a unique piece, "Siljan." Love them!

20220318_163033.jpg

Attachments

• 20220318_163020.jpg
    20220318_163020.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220318_163107.jpg
    20220318_163107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #10,149 of 12,522
Would something like a little dot be good with the vc’s?
I had a little dot mkIII and ymmv but I had issues with it, it had too loud of a noise floor no matter what tubes I used and I didn’t really care for the sound. That probably could’ve been remedied with nicer tubes but I think it’s probably a better idea to just save up for a nicer tube amp IMO

Apr 9, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #10,153 of 12,522
Apr 9, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #10,155 of 12,522
SW51+ pairs so well with ZMF VC and also if you can get Drop ZDT JR. both the amp work well with ZMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back