ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Dec 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #8,851 of 12,506
Saimaa just arrived! They're both stunning in their own right. This is definitely going to be a very difficult first world problem in terms of which one I should keep , lol :)

Another vote for Saimaa here, unless you're like, a marine biologist, surfer, or generally really into the ocean/Earth or something 😜

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #8,852 of 12,506
Saimaa just arrived! They're both stunning in their own right. This is definitely going to be a very difficult first world problem in terms of which one I should keep , lol :)

20211220_115149.jpg
20211220_115543.jpg

20211220_115628.jpg

20211220_120006.jpg
My vote is also Saimaa. Tho, I can't unsee the ghastly pair of eyes on the right-hand cup now. Simultaneously creepy and cool. :) Btw, do you notice any difference in the decay between the two? I imagine their Janka rating is pretty similar, but would be curious how the epoxy compares to stabilized.

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #8,853 of 12,506
It is super pricey indeed.

I'd suggest the Phatlab Chimera as it is a hybrid tube portable amp and its predecessor, the Sassy II, was comparable to the C9.

Also the Romi BX2+ is a fraction of the price and has more driving power and works great for folks who've tried that pairing.

Haven't tried the iFi stuff so can't speak to it.

The DX300 is still pocketable unlike the M17 or DX300 Max, and I'd go for the latter options over a stack if you want to keep portability higher.

That being said, the VC is a large headphone and I cannot imagine leaving home with it on my head or lugging it around to and fro, so VC in and of itself to me is highly unportable and I'd be terrified to take it out into public as I treat it like a crown jewel, but as usual, that's just me and to each his own, just go with whatever setup you prefer :)

My use case was searching for transportability within my house, take it from room to room, etc.
After a lot thought, I ended up purchasing an open box Cayin C9 on Audio46. Decided I still wanted to have the option for portability at work. The DX312+C9 stack will be for when I work at home and general music listening. Excited to see how these will drive the ZMF Verite Closed!

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #8,854 of 12,506
After a lot thought, I ended up purchasing an open box Cayin C9 on Audio46. Decided I still wanted to have the option for portability at work. The DX312+C9 stack will be for when I work at home and general music listening. Excited to see how these will drive the ZMF Verite Closed!
I've been using the C9 with my VC for a while - beautiful combo. It's a good choice.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #8,855 of 12,506

I've been using the C9 with my VC for a while - beautiful combo. It's a good choice.

That's a great combo indeed! Loved my time with it.

Let us know what you think once you give the stack a listen!

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #8,856 of 12,506
AMP12W already sounds fantastic with headphone out to VC.

Perhaps a Caying C9 would take it a step further but I see no need :)

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #8,858 of 12,506
My vote is also Saimaa. Tho, I can't unsee the ghastly pair of eyes on the right-hand cup now. Simultaneously creepy and cool. :) Btw, do you notice any difference in the decay between the two? I imagine their Janka rating is pretty similar, but would be curious how the epoxy compares to stabilized.

They pretty much sound the same to me from what I can tell. Zach himself said that there's very minute differences between the woods in terms of sound signature

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #8,859 of 12,506
aimaa just arrived! They're both stunning in their own right. This is definitely going to be a very difficult first world problem in terms of which one I should keep , lol :)

I'm curious about the new stock woods coming up in 2022 for all the models @zach915m
Suggestion for 2022: How about a space theme series starting with Jupiter south pole:
1640139896521.png

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #8,860 of 12,506
I just received new b-stock olivewood VC a few days ago. They are a work of art appearance-wise. Came with Auteur lamb skin pads. The level of resolution is truly impressive - none of my other headphones have been over $1,000 and you can hear the difference in resolution. But so far I'm having trouble getting used to the soundstage on these. They are definitely a unique HP. I can hear every detail vividly but there's something about the staging that is disorienting. My Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed with perforated pads so far I like better I think because the staging is more "normal" for me, even though the resolution is palpably reduced. I have some suede pads on order...
I don't usually take Z's reviews too seriously because he is more entertaining than rigorous. But he said he liked the Eikon suede. ZMF seems to recommend auteur suede for these phones? Any recommendations?

Dec 22, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #8,861 of 12,506
I just received new b-stock olivewood VC a few days ago. They are a work of art appearance-wise. Came with Auteur lamb skin pads. The level of resolution is truly impressive - none of my other headphones have been over $1,000 and you can hear the difference in resolution. But so far I'm having trouble getting used to the soundstage on these. They are definitely a unique HP. I can hear every detail vividly but there's something about the staging that is disorienting. My Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed with perforated pads so far I like better I think because the staging is more "normal" for me, even though the resolution is palpably reduced. I have some suede pads on order...
I don't usually take Z's reviews too seriously because he is more entertaining than rigorous. But he said he liked the Eikon suede. ZMF seems to recommend auteur suede for these phones? Any recommendations?
Whats disorienting exactly? I think lambskin auteur are the recommended. My fav are the suede auteur. I did not try Eikon suede.

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #8,862 of 12,506
The VC aren't like any hp I've ever heard in terms of staging. The vocals sound like I'm standing on the stage with the singer. I can't put my finger on it but there's a disorientating weirdness like Z said in his video crowning these the based closed back hp. I'm looking forward to trying the suede pads.

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #8,863 of 12,506
Hi all.
I'd be interested in the VC Olive but would appreciate getting a confirmation on the actual finish. Depending on the pictures, the finish looks either super glossy, or more matte/satin on others. Can anybody confirm what it looks like in real life? Personally, I'd prefer a natural look for this wood, not a glossy varnish. thanks!
Did you end up finding out what type of finish is used for the Olive VC?

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #8,864 of 12,506
Can someone remind me which pads come with these stabilized cans? I know 2 of them are Auteur Lamb solid and BE2 Lamb solid. Which is the third one? Thanks!

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #8,865 of 12,506
That wasn't my post but the wood is matte finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back