ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 12, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #7,696 of 12,513
I’m thinking get one pair of Universe hybrid for both my VC and Aeolus, wondering should I choose solid or perforated? They said solid is for closed headphones and perf is for open, but wondering how much difference it can made
Do not get Solid pads for the Aeolus!! If my experience with the Auteurs with Solid Auteur pads made the bass region very bloated I can just imagine how much worse it’ll be on the Aeolus.

Sep 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #7,697 of 12,513
Do not get Solid pads for the Aeolus!! If my experience with the Auteurs with Solid Auteur pads made the bass region very bloated I can just imagine how much worse it’ll be on the Aeolus.

absolutely right. Aeolus and solid pads are definitely a no go. Talk about killing a great set of cans. Stick with Universal Perf suede or hybrid. I myself preferred the Uni Perf hybrid. Was the sweet spot for me.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #7,699 of 12,513
@zach915m Have you tried combining your Sparkos Aries as a pre-amp for your ZOTL MZ3? (or other way around), and how do you feel it changes the sound for the VC if both are combined?

I havent! But I am gonna give it a go and report back - if you don't hear from me by the end of the week hit me up again!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #7,701 of 12,513
That is absolutely the case in my experience. Listening to the VC on Jotenheim 2 gives me a headache after about 15 minutes. Snare drums and the like will rattle your skull.

I made the above comment using the Auteur Lambskin pads, so I should mention that swapping to the Auteur Hybrid pads makes this a much more enjoyable combination.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #7,702 of 12,513
Anyone tried or mal think the A&K Kann Alpha could a suitable portable solution for the VC, with ils power of 12Vrms ?
I have and with a balanced 4.4mm connection on mid-gain there's plenty of headroom. Sounds great to me, but I've yet to try these on tubes or a powerful SS amp so unfortunately I've got nothing to really compare to.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #7,703 of 12,513
Hi guys,

I'm receiving my 2nd hand pair of VC after this weekend and I'm looking at different cables that are up for sale here and on other platforms. The VC I will be getting has the stock balanced cable (I need XLR for my amp). I'm currently looking at 2 copper cables (2k ZMF and a double helix cable), and a silver (Michanikos).

My setup will be my laptop -> soncoz la-qxd1/mojo/dx3pro -> DarkVoice 336se.

Will I hear any difference through any of these cables over the stock ZMF cable? Or would it be purely aesthetics?

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #7,704 of 12,513
Will I hear any difference through any of these cables over the stock ZMF cable? Or would it be purely aesthetics?

Don't kill me for this guys....

Purely aesthetics. With that said though, if you like the look of the more expensive one and can fit it into your budget, all's fair game.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #7,705 of 12,513
Hi guys,

I'm receiving my 2nd hand pair of VC after this weekend and I'm looking at different cables that are up for sale here and on other platforms. The VC I will be getting has the stock balanced cable (I need XLR for my amp). I'm currently looking at 2 copper cables (2k ZMF and a double helix cable), and a silver (Michanikos).

I think it's debated whether or not the cable will make a difference. For the most part of the cable is built well it should sound the same. Most actual audio changes are likely psychological. People describe silver cables as sounding bright and copper cables as sounding warm, but that's actually mostly the influence of the cable aesthetics rather than anything electrical.

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #7,706 of 12,513
giphy (1).gif

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #7,707 of 12,513
Without getting into a debate as I have been on both sides and now that I make my own cables I prefer mine the best, HA!, I would say get what makes your headphones look cool and compliments them without breaking the bank. I have had some great ones from Norne Audio that I really like and he does great work, others swear by the WyWires Platinum cables. Can you hear a difference? Some say they can but my ears are too old anyway to tell the difference so get yourself a set of cables if you need the different jack and don't fret, the endgame is the music.

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #7,708 of 12,513
Hi guys,

Purely aesthetics. There have been many tests where headphone driver output was compared using different cables and in every test the output has been identical. Some people will defend their ego (along with their hearing and amount of damage they've caused to other people's wallets), money they spent on cables that amount to little more than jewelry, or the marketing material of their favorite cable company by claiming that there are properties of vibration that are not measurable (lol).

Here's one such test :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-audio-premium-headphone-cable-review.22457/

Innerfidelity did a test too using a number of cables including stock cables, Cardas, and different price levels of AudioQuest cables and also found zero difference. They even measured the driver's impulse response and found it identical.

People on Head-Fi are an exception to the norm though. While most people would say cables sounding different is absolutely ridiculous, Head-Fi dwellers will tell you all about how more expensive cables alter the sound in dramatic ways and will call people who think otherwise trolls. That's why people here will post memes of people laughing or eating popcorn in response to people saying that cables don't affect sound.

Generally people will shy away from outright saying that they don't affect sound on here because of the near certain harassment that will result and will provide a non-committal answer or add a clause acknowledging that cables may possess magical powers that we can't measure except with our brains.

One of the reasons why it's frowned upon here is that it has huge implications for a ton of companies and sponsors, and even Head-Fi members themselves.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #7,709 of 12,513
Thanks everyone for your input! Aesthetics it is then. Will be picking a cable based on looks :)

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #7,710 of 12,513
Purely aesthetics. There have been many tests where headphone driver output was compared using different cables and in every test the output has been identical. Some people will defend their ego (along with their hearing and amount of damage they've caused to other people's wallets) , money they spent on cables that amount to little more than jewelry, or the marketing material of their favorite cable company by claiming that there are properties of vibration that are not measurable (lol).

Here's one such test :
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-audio-premium-headphone-cable-review.22457/

Innerfidelity did a test too using a number of cables including stock cables, Cardas, and different price levels of AudioQuest cables and also found zero difference. They even measured the driver's impulse response and found it identical.

People on Head-Fi are an exception to the norm though. While most people would say cables sounding different is absolutely ridiculous, Head-Fi dwellers will tell you all about how more expensive cables alter the sound in dramatic ways and will call people who think otherwise trolls. That's why people here will post memes of people laughing or eating popcorn in response to people saying that cables don't affect sound.

Generally people will shy away from outright saying that they don't affect sound on here because of the near certain harassment that will result and will provide a non-committal answer or add a clause acknowledging that cables may possess magical powers that we can't measure except with our brains.

One of the reasons why it's frowned upon here is that it has huge implications for a ton of companies and sponsors, and even Head-Fi members themselves.
Best summary ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back