ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 15, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #5,596 of 12,512
Do you have the VC in Ironwood? I ordered the VO in Ironwood but assume it will be lighter as the center mass is cut out.
Weight of VO won't be an issue and will definitely be lighter compared to VC

Apr 15, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,597 of 12,512
I've been having major fatigue with the VCs and the EAR HP-4. I thought some of it was due to the NOS tubes I was rolling but after doing a frequency sweep, it turns out there's a NASTY peak around 2750 (and honestly, pretty much all of 2400-2900 is elevated to near-painful levels) that was causing hearing issues after listening as well as mild to moderate headaches. And I couldn't get the amp past about 10 o'clock which is not that loud but the pain...

Anyway, I threw a -2.5 peak on 2750 with a Q of 2 and that helped but it wasn't enough. I kept testing and decreasing the peak there and finally settled on -5.5 dB. I cannot believe how much better these headphones sound with this adjustment. I'm hearing so many little details and better separation and imaging with that region reduced. No more glare, no more pain, no more headaches. Just amazing, transparent sound.

I'm using Auteur lambskin pads and an LQi Espirit cable.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #5,598 of 12,512
Curious, what other cables have you compared the Wywires Platinum with?
I have tried the Silver Dragon from Moon Audio, the stock cablde tha came with the VCs, Verite Silver and Letrik S from ZMF, and the Norne Audio S4 - 4 wire. I have enjoyed all of the cables with the stock cable being my least favorite but still good. Using the WyWires I find the soundstage is larger, the music is more detailed, and the instrument seperation is more apparent. Vocals move to the fore-front and is where I think the WyWires really shine.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #5,599 of 12,512
I have tried the Silver Dragon from Moon Audio, the stock cablde tha came with the VCs, Verite Silver and Letrik S from ZMF, and the Norne Audio S4 - 4 wire. I have enjoyed all of the cables with the stock cable being my least favorite but still good. Using the WyWires I find the soundstage is larger, the music is more detailed, and the instrument seperation is more apparent. Vocals move to the fore-front and is where I think the WyWires really shine.
Awesome! I appreciate the info, and what you are describing, is what I hear with a good copper cable. I am a mids guy, and love me some copper. For my preferences, I will take copper over silver everytime.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5,600 of 12,512
Off topic, but can the Wywires platinum cables be customized with different color tekflex sheathing? I personally don't like the look of the white/gray. I think it would clash with my dark wood VC and black hardware.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #5,601 of 12,512
I've been having major fatigue with the VCs and the EAR HP-4. I thought some of it was due to the NOS tubes I was rolling but after doing a frequency sweep, it turns out there's a NASTY peak around 2750 (and honestly, pretty much all of 2400-2900 is elevated to near-painful levels) that was causing hearing issues after listening as well as mild to moderate headaches. And I couldn't get the amp past about 10 o'clock which is not that loud but the pain...

Anyway, I threw a -2.5 peak on 2750 with a Q of 2 and that helped but it wasn't enough. I kept testing and decreasing the peak there and finally settled on -5.5 dB. I cannot believe how much better these headphones sound with this adjustment. I'm hearing so many little details and better separation and imaging with that region reduced. No more glare, no more pain, no more headaches. Just amazing, transparent sound.

I'm using Auteur lambskin pads and an LQi Espirit cable.
Is that the default Pad? Also what's your chain?
I always thought VC has little scooped upper mid.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #5,602 of 12,512
Is that the default Pad? Also what's your chain?
I always thought VC has little scooped upper mid.
It was for these but they were a custom order that I got secondhand. I believe the Verite pads are the default.

The rest of my chain is:

Roon Core (MacBook Pro 2014) -> USB (AudioQuest Carbon) -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (w/linear power supply) -> Better Cables Silver Serpent AES -> Sonnet Morpheus XLR (Better Cables Silver Serpent ) -> EAR HP4 (w/NOS Tung-Sol 6SULGTY tubes) -> LQi Espirit (6.3mm) -> Verite C.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #5,603 of 12,512
@klyrish The Verite pad may have come on that set, but the default pad for the VC is definitely the Auteur Lambskin.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #5,604 of 12,512
Off topic, but can the Wywires platinum cables be customized with different color tekflex sheathing? I personally don't like the look of the white/gray. I think it would clash with my dark wood VC and black hardware.
Alex can make the cable with a black sheath, I have one black and one white. I forgot to ask Alex to use black on my second cable but I am not dissapointed by the color, and honestly, it is the sound I am after.

Apr 15, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #5,605 of 12,512
It was for these but they were a custom order that I got secondhand. I believe the Verite pads are the default.

The rest of my chain is:

Roon Core (MacBook Pro 2014) -> USB (AudioQuest Carbon) -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (w/linear power supply) -> Better Cables Silver Serpent AES -> Sonnet Morpheus XLR (Better Cables Silver Serpent ) -> EAR HP4 (w/NOS Tung-Sol 6SULGTY tubes) -> LQi Espirit (6.3mm) -> Verite C.
I am gonna bet it's the sound sig with those Verite pads, that is causing fatigue. I would try some Auteur leather or Auteur hybrid pads, if I were you.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #5,606 of 12,512
I am gonna bet it's the sound sig with those Verite pads, that is causing fatigue. I would try some Auteur leather or Auteur hybrid pads, if I were you.
I love my VC and completely dislike them with the Verite pads. Auteur pads all the way (I like the lamb skin better than the hybrid ones but either will be fine). I like the universe pads fine but very I never change my pads anymore.

Apr 16, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #5,607 of 12,512

The rest of my chain is:

Roon Core (MacBook Pro 2014) -> USB (AudioQuest Carbon) -> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 (w/linear power supply) -> Better Cables Silver Serpent AES -> Sonnet Morpheus XLR (Better Cables Silver Serpent ) -> EAR HP4 (w/NOS Tung-Sol 6SULGTY tubes) -> LQi Espirit (6.3mm) -> V

The rest of my chain is:

Could you.post pic of the pad so that someone can verify if its the default Pad as upper mid around 2.5 is anything but accentuated in VC

Apr 16, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #5,608 of 12,512
Been rockin the Auteur Hybrids, and I absolutely love the clarity and transparency in the mids, and especially the vocals. However, in the last couple of days of using them, I was starting to feel that something was missing and I was not getting as engaged in the music, the emotion was lacking and I wanted a bit more weight to the sound. So, I rolled the stock Auteur pads back on, and bingo that highly engaging sound I had first heard with my VC was back. :o2smile: Long story short, it sure is nice to have pad options, but there is a reason Zach has the Auteur leather as the stock pad and that's what I am rockin for the foreseeable future. Back to the music. . .

Apr 16, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #5,609 of 12,512
Been rockin the Auteur Hybrids, and I absolutely love the clarity and transparency in the mids, and especially the vocals. However, in the last couple of days of using them, I was starting to feel that something was missing and I was not getting as engaged in the music, the emotion was lacking and I wanted a bit more weight to the sound. So, I rolled the stock Auteur pads back on, and bingo that highly engaging sound I had first heard with my VC was back. :o2smile: Long story short, it sure is nice to have pad options, but there is a reason Zach has the Auteur leather as the stock pad and that's what I am rockin for the foreseeable future. Back to the music. . .
As much praise the hybrids get, I've been putting off ordering more pads but I feel like the day is coming soon when I succumb and buy all of them. I'm curious at comparing each pad and writing up my thoughts on them but getting all the pads (Universe, Auteur, BE2, Verite: lambskin, hybrid, suede) costs $540 without shipping. Not sure if anyone has compared all the combinations of the pads listed on the pad chart of the VC page: AL, AH, AS, UL, UH, US, BL, BU, BS, VL. Maybe when I get my tube amp in, I'll pokemon style and catch all the pads.

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #5,610 of 12,512
As much praise the hybrids get, I've been putting off ordering more pads but I feel like the day is coming soon when I succumb and buy all of them. I'm curious at comparing each pad and writing up my thoughts on them but getting all the pads (Universe, Auteur, BE2, Verite: lambskin, hybrid, suede) costs $540 without shipping. Not sure if anyone has compared all the combinations of the pads listed on the pad chart of the VC page: AL, AH, AS, UL, UH, US, BL, BU, BS, VL. Maybe when I get my tube amp in, I'll pokemon style and catch all the pads.
If it had the magnetic pads like Abyss or Meze, I would have bothered buying new one. For ZMF I like original pads as Is and I'm not at all comfortable in changing pads in these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back