ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,416 of 12,512
Never heard of the "famous" electro harmonic, and I am an avid tube roller/collector? I rolled a ton of tubes, and for me the best power tube is the Bendix 6080WB graphite plate. No other power tube can touch the Bendix, when it comes to punch, dynamics, and seperation. Some of my favorite driver tubes were, Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter, Siemens ECC82 Chrome Plate, Sylvania 5814a Triple Mica Short Grey Plate Square Getter, Mullard ecc82 long plate square getter, Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getter, and Amperex 7316 Long Plate D Getter. Most all those drivers are rare and expensive, but the Sylvania 5814a can be found often and usually are quite cheap. Just make sure the Sylvania has all the descriptors I mentioned, as the other versions don't sound near as good.

Yeah I was kind of laughing when he was talking about the 'famous' tube, maybe you will be able to recognize the tube in the pictures here.
Thanks again for your recommendations :beerchug:

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #5,417 of 12,512
Yeah I was kind of laughing when he was talking about the 'famous' tube, maybe you will be able to recognize the tube in the pictures here.
Thanks again for your recommendations :beerchug:
No problem, and yeah that looks like a $15 GE power tube to me. There are much better power tubes. Power tubes that I suggest other than the Bendix, are Tung Sol 5998, Tung Sol 6080, RCA 6AS7G (warmest), Chatham/Tung Sol 6AS7G, and Tung Sol 7236 (most solid state sounding).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #5,418 of 12,512
No problem, and yeah that looks like a $15 GE power tube to me. There are much better power tubes. Power tubes that I suggest other than the Bendix, are Tung Sol 5998, Tung Sol 6080, RCA 6AS7G (warmest), Chatham/Tung Sol 6AS7G, and Tung Sol 7236 (most solid state sounding).

I found the Tung Sol 5998 on Canuckaudiomart for $125 CAD ($100 USD). I also read that the Westinghouse 12AU7 is a good match with the TS 5998?

Apr 2, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #5,419 of 12,512
I found the Tung Sol 5998 on Canuckaudiomart for $125 CAD ($100 USD). I also read that the Westinghouse 12AU7 is a good match with the TS 5998?
The Tung Sol is a great tube, and that price is about right. The Westinghouse is a great tube too, but I never tried that combo together.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5,420 of 12,512
I was curious about tubes, and someone was unloading their Echo, and one thing led to another...

I'm not really much of a tubes guy, but I'm enjoying what an OTL brings to the VC. Will be doing a lot of listening this weekend.

Attachments

• PXL_20210403_003633340.jpg
    PXL_20210403_003633340.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #5,422 of 12,512
for me the best power tube is the Bendix 6080WB graphite plate. No other power tube can touch the Bendix, when it comes to punch, dynamics, and seperation.
+1

Bendix 6080s are probably the most dynamic power tubes Ive heard, and the staging is almost too wide. Granted I still prefer the 6 pack of 6bx7s for the VC, but if I was forced back into a more traditional power tube it would be the Bendix....or maybe if I could find a pair of 7802, but alas @L0rdGwyn bought the last remaining 3 pairs in the world apparently.

cheap price for a 5998. Make sure it isnt three quarters cooked. As good as 5998s are, I still prefer the Bendix for the VC.

Apr 3, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #5,425 of 12,512
@YtseJamer This may be an unpopular opinion, but a Speedballed Crack isn't the most resolving amp in the world. It's probably more recommended for an Aeolus level headphone. There are plenty of mod threads to read if you'd like to upgrade it, but I'm not sure quite what heights it can reach.

I have the BH crack and it does magic to my 6xx, but as much as I hear people say zmfs pair well with tube amps, it doesn't with my VC. I'm not sure why that is if I'm to be honest. I have a Feliks Elise coming my way so hopefully that will pair well with the VC.

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #5,427 of 12,512
I have the BH crack and it does magic to my 6xx, but as much as I hear people say zmfs pair well with tube amps, it doesn't with my VC. I'm not sure why that is if I'm to be honest. I have a Feliks Elise coming my way so hopefully that will pair well with the VC.

Tube amps like the crack do chnage a lot with tube swaps. One of our employees didn't like the pairing until he put a Chatham 6as7g in and it sounded great.

Can we please have more reviews of ZMF headphones 🎧 in this format as it relives the boredom of lockdown apart from when I am listening to music.

Bert of you're out there send us an email - I'd love for you to review another ZMF!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #5,428 of 12,512
Tube amps like the crack do chnage a lot with tube swaps. One of our employees didn't like the pairing until he put a Chatham 6as7g in and it sounded great.

Bert of you're out there send us an email - I'd love for you to review another ZMF!
I wish Bert would return; love his reviews (no easy thing to combine being astute and absurd), and would love to hear his impressions of the VC....

Apr 3, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #5,429 of 12,512
+1

Bendix 6080s are probably the most dynamic power tubes Ive heard, and the staging is almost too wide. Granted I still prefer the 6 pack of 6bx7s for the VC, but if I was forced back into a more traditional power tube it would be the Bendix....or maybe if I could find a pair of 7802, but alas @L0rdGwyn bought the last remaining 3 pairs in the world apparently.

cheap price for a 5998. Make sure it isnt three quarters cooked. As good as 5998s are, I still prefer the Bendix for the VC.

I found the Bendix 6080WB here but the seller is asking $995.

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #5,430 of 12,512
@YtseJamer This may be an unpopular opinion, but a Speedballed Crack isn't the most resolving amp in the world. It's probably more recommended for an Aeolus level headphone. There are plenty of mod threads to read if you'd like to upgrade it, but I'm not sure quite what heights it can reach.

I don't think the BHC will be worst than my Liquid Platinum with the VC. I will probably order the Tung Sol 5998 today, but I don't want to spend too much on tubes because I will also receive the SW51+ soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back