ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #5,161 of 12,488
This may sound like a dumb question, but what is pink noise? Is it something I can download or stream? How did you manage to play it for 8 hours? Did you loop it? What volume (db) did you play it?
You can find some good “burn in playlists” on both Tidal and Spotify. If you have a visualizer you can see that pink noise is pretty even sound across the spectrum so it’s a good conditioner. Also, bass heavy tracks help flex the parts that need to break in and that will ultimately lead to better sound.

Play it at a medium to high volume but at a level that you can enjoy yourself. In other words, do not crank the volume and blow the drivers.

Yes loop the playlist and personally I put 20-30min of silence tracks at the end to give the headphones a chance to chill between burn in loops.

The VCs definitely take a minute to burn in so don’t worry. Also pads matter a lot for personal preference as stated above.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #5,162 of 12,488
Youtube has a bunch of pink noise videos which go 8-10 hours. It’s what I’ve used for all mine.

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #5,163 of 12,488
Welcome to the club :wink:

First, despite what you can read on this thread, changing the cable will not help. Are you using them with them with the Auteur Leather pads by any chance? I highly recommend you to try the Universe Hybrid pads.

Nice to see someone here is still sane. "The cable uses super conductors"... my lord, the things manufacturers will claim...

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #5,164 of 12,488
I purchased a VC at the beginning of March, so the anticipation will build in the coming months. I have never burned in headphones. This may sound like a dumb question, but what is pink noise? Is it something I can download or stream? How did you manage to play it for 8 hours? Did you loop it? What volume (db) did you play it?

Normal listening volume

Mar 21, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #5,166 of 12,488
, I do prefer the cheap but well worn Germans... which is slightly concerning considering the VCs cost more than 10x as much. Can anyone attest to this experience, and that burn in will transform these to a *definitively* better sound than the setup I’m replacing?

Yes, I can attest to that- they will drastically change for the better. Personally speaking, it was painful to go through, but give it 200 hours, really do. To clarify, the lower frequencies initially bled into the mids, and the mids were recessed, which made my pair sound veiled, "dark." After my pair come into its own, there was no contest.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #5,167 of 12,488
Nice to see someone here is still sane. "The cable uses super conductors"... my lor
Yeah, snake oil is not working with me :wink:
So many people have opinions on something they have never heard and technology they don’t understand. You might want to educate yourself a little bit before you state that graphene carbon is snake oil. Its a super conductor and currently the most powerful one we know of. silicone chips are now switching to Graphene carbon because it is so much faster. On its own it is very brittle so we don’t currently have the technology to make solid wire out of it. The most common way to make wire for electrical transfer is to bond it on something like copper. Just as the signal travels on the skin of copper when you make graphene cables it travels primarily on the Graphene coating. The copper is only used as a foundation. When used with the VC headphone or as interconnects the benefits of this technology are immediate and substantial In my opinion.

Mar 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #5,169 of 12,488
So many people have opinions on something they have never heard and technology they don’t understand. You might want to educate yourself a little bit before you state that graphene carbon is snake oil. Its a super conductor and currently the most powerful one we know of. silicone chips are now switching to Graphene carbon because it is so much faster. On its own it is very brittle so we don’t currently have the technology to make solid wire out of it. The most common way to make wire for electrical transfer is to bond it on something like copper. Just as the signal travels on the skin of copper when you make graphene cables it travels primarily on the Graphene coating. The copper is only used as a foundation. When used with the VC headphone or as interconnects the benefits of this technology are immediate and substantial In my opinion.
The use of the term superconductor in the marketing is where I take issue. Yes, graphine is a superconductor but has to be brought to within a few degrees of absolute zero to demonstrate those properties. I am reasonably confident no one is using their headphone cables at that temperature so being a superconductor is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #5,171 of 12,488
The use of the term superconductor in the marketing is where I take issue. Yes, graphine is a superconductor but has to be brought to within a few degrees of absolute zero to demonstrate those properties. I am reasonably confident no one is using their headphone cables at that temperature so being a superconductor is irrelevant.
100% this. Whatever they are (or claim to be) putting in their cables has absolutely no superconductivity at room temperature. Waste your money on whatever you want to (/whatever makes you feel like your setup has improved), but false advertising is a no-no.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #5,172 of 12,488
100% this. Whatever they are (or claim to be) putting in their cables has absolutely no superconductivity at room temperature. Waste your money on whatever you want to (/whatever makes you feel like your setup has improved), but false advertising is a no-no.
Can we refrain from yet another cable debate in this thread?!?

Some members, myself included, hear a distinct difference in our systems with our ears when various cables are upgraded. I would never presume to know better than you do what you are hearing in your system, with your ears.

Return the respect.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #5,173 of 12,488

Some members, myself included, hear a distinct difference in our systems with our ears when various cables are upgraded. I would never presume to know better than you do what you are hearing in your system, with your ears.

Return the respect.
Well said

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #5,174 of 12,488

Return the respect.
Don't recall ever making that sort of presumption, but I guess it's ok for you to presume to read words in my messages that I didn't type. "I hear a difference in my system using this cable" is not offensive to me and I've never suggested that it was. "This cable is something that our materials scientists haven't yet invented," on the other hand, is.

That's fine. This is why the forum has an ignore function and I'll add folks to it who continue advocating things like "superconductive cables" to other users. I invite you to use it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back