ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jan 22, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #4,502 of 12,522
Does anyone fortunate enough to own or have owned BOTH the VC and VO prefer one or the other? Anyone prefer the VC to the VO?

I ask this understanding that this is the VC thread so there may be some bias. I’ve heard the VO a few times and love it and I’ve always much preferred the sound of open back, but I’ve read so many great reviews on the VC and actually prefer the aesthetics a bit.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,503 of 12,522
I have received the Universe hybrid pads yesterday, and so far these pads have totally changed my appreciation of the Verite Closed. For the first time since I had the VC (1 month), I'm totally blown away and speechless songs after songs. I had the exact same reaction when I heard the Aeolus for the first time with the Universe suede pads. There's something magical happening with the VC and these pads. The sound is way more engaging and punchy now.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,504 of 12,522
Does anyone fortunate enough to own or have owned BOTH the VC and VO prefer one or the other? Anyone prefer the VC to the VO?

I own both. I prefer the VC ever so slightly. It has more intimate soundstage which I like. If I had to choose it would be the VC.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #4,505 of 12,522

I ask this understanding that this is the VC thread so there may be some bias. I’ve heard the VO a few times and love it and I’ve always much preferred the sound of open back, but I’ve read so many great reviews on the VC and actually prefer the aesthetics a bit.
I haven't owned both but I know there are in fact many who prefer the VC...I think there are some differences in the mids in particular that may be preferential to some, though not so dissimilar that it's a different headphone (they are the only open and closed ZMF to date that share the same name for a reason I think). I had & enjoyed both on loaner (impressions here) and I went with the VO...not because it's "better" but because it suited my preferences a little more closely, and because I prefer open backed HPs.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #4,506 of 12,522

I prefer the VC and my sense from here and other forums is that preferring it over the VO is more common than vice versa. My VC is a year newer, so that may be part of it, but the most immediate difference was in the more exciting/energetic sound that is closer in than on the VO, yet still a large and enveloping soundstage. Vocals seem a bit more forward too and overall the VC across frequencies is louder at the same volume. Still the VO is a very close 2nd. For me they're different enough to have both and I actually plan on a LTD VO eventually.

Since you know you enjoy the VO and generally prefer open I would go with that.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #4,507 of 12,522

I own both and prefer the VC. I guess the genres of music you prefer might play a part in which you prefer.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,508 of 12,522
When can we expect new VC LTD variants? What about the next batch of Stabilized VCs?

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,509 of 12,522
I have received the Universe hybrid pads yesterday, and so far these pads have totally changed my appreciation of the Verite Closed. For the first time since I had the VC (1 month), I'm totally blown away and speechless songs after songs. I had the exact same reaction when I heard the Aeolus for the first time with the Universe suede pads. There's something magical happening with the VC and these pads. The sound is way more engaging and punchy now, the electric guitars have all the bite that I always wanted. WOW!
Just out of curiosity, do you also have the standard Lambskin Universe pads? If so, are you saying the Hybrid sounds better to you? I’ve gathered from many that the main difference going from Lambskin to Hybrid is comfort (whether one prefers the feel of leather or suede on the face), with the sound differences being minimal when compared to changing pad type (e.g. Auteur to Universe).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #4,510 of 12,522
Just out of curiosity, do you also have the standard Lambskin Universe pads? If so, are you saying the Hybrid sounds better to you? I’ve gathered from many that the main difference going from Lambskin to Hybrid is comfort (whether one prefers the feel of leather or suede on the face), with the sound differences being minimal when compared to changing pad type (e.g. Auteur to Universe).

Also curious about this. I've enjoyed the comfort and sound of the Auteur Hybrids so much that I'm considering getting a hybrid version of the Universes.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #4,511 of 12,522
I have 8 of the next 10 days off as I need to use up some vacation time. I am going to be spending a lot of time with my VC's.
Starting tonight with Keith Richards & The Expensive Wino's Live At The Hollywood Palladium
Keith-Richards-The-X-Pensive-Winos.jpg

DSC04989.JPG

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #4,512 of 12,522

No I don't have the leather Universe pads. So far I have tried the leather Auteur pads, the hybrid Auteur pads and the hybrid Universe pads that I have received yesterday. I'm only listening to Hard-Rock/Metal music and there was always something bugging me with the Auteur pads. The Universe hybrid pads have totally changed my experience with these headphones and I'm not talking about subtle changes. Do you want to know what's the biggest change? I find myself tapping my foot constantly when listening to these headphones now :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #4,513 of 12,522

I have both: Pheasantwood VOs and Ironwood VCs. I follow both threads and I gather that I am definitely in the minority that prefers the VOs. Maybe I got a magic pair, but I think the VOs do everything except maybe the highs better. And I just LOVE the huge, 3D soundstage that I feel is unmatched for the VOs.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #4,515 of 12,522
I own both and prefer the VC. I guess the genres of music you prefer might play a part in which you prefer.

Great point, I should have mentioned. I’d say about 60% jazz, 30% classic rock and 10% classical. I previously owned the HEKse paired with a WA22 and really enjoyed them, but sold it all when I was kinda getting out of headphones for a little while (spending time/money on my speaker rig). I’m getting the headphone itch again and I’ve always lusted after ZMF so I think it’s time to take the plunge. While I know I like the Hifiman sound I’m interested in going another direction if for no other reason than just mixing it up. And even when I’m not listening, damn the ZMF headphones look good just sitting there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back