ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,987 of 12,524
Cross-posting to the different ZMF threads =)
I hope this is ok to post this here... but I had a great live chat with Zach and Bevin the patron saints of ZMF :wink: over the weekend! I learned a lesson regarding volume matching so sorry if I am louder than they are during the video =( But, it is some great info and a nice view into Zach and Bevins world :wink: @zach915m and @BooUrns Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedules to sit and chat with me and answer questions from the community =) Looking forward to the next one!!!

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2,988 of 12,524
Cross-posting to the different ZMF threads =)

This was a fun watch, thanks for posting. I have never meet Zach & Bevin, but this sort of made me feel like I did.
Loved the part where Zach said that Bevin can enjoy her music from anything. This reminds me of my wife! She can be happy with a Zip Clip and a $10 set of earbuds.
Great people to say the least.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #2,989 of 12,524
I deleted a bunch of posts after feeling "done" with this hobby (lol, I'll die or go deaf, first) after receiving the Sony MDR-7506, and instantly preferring it to the ZMF Verite Closed. It is understandable that my reaction was "this hobby is bull" (I've been in it since ~2006, btw, if that means anything [it doesn't, actually]), given that no audiophile types mention the MDR-7506 anymore and it has been in its current form for many, many years, but here I am reaching for it over a $2500, endlessly-hyped headphone released in late 2019.

Since then, the ZMF has seemed to become more clear-sounding with burn-in, to the point where it is "clear enough" to me even with the Auteur (default, thick-backed) pads. The problem is, I still don't like it, and I still prefer the MDR-7506 (and Sennheiser HD 800 S, and the $40 Blon BL-03, and the $6 Panasonic RP-HT21, etc.).

The VC is, in a word, unimpressive, and I feel nothing but a sense of disappointment when listening to it. Also, I still feel that there is something missing/weird in the frequency response curve (no matter the pads).

I switch over to the HD 800 S, and with this headphone, I immediately get what it is going for. While the HD 800 S essentially a diffuse field headphone with its tuning changed to more match the harman target curve, it feels, to me, less of a compromise than the VC, which feels like it was designed by a committee (yes, I know that this is an ironic statement) trying to go for analytical and musical at the same time, resulting in the VC having no real character of its own or special traits to warrant its price ("open-sounding for a closed headphone" is not much to celebrate at $2500).

In direct comparison with the VC, the MDR-7506 has a noticeably thumpier and less textured bass and a maybe peaky (in a way that I love, but, still) treble response, but it is SO CLEAR - without being thin at all, amazingly - and involving as hell! Everything is balanced almost perfectly to what I want! Get those boring, weird VCs out of here!

Ultimately, I was expected to be amazed by the VC, and I never have been, although my (now deleted) posts showed how much I tried to fool myself into believing that I just had to find the right trick to fix it. I think the combination of my exhausting fight against the VC plus the insane price (not going to argue this point [or any other - I haven't read this thread since I first posted in it]) make it one of my least-liked headphones. And I am not saying that it is bad and everyone else is wrong, just that I personally don't find it a particularly worthwhile listen. If you like the MDR-7506 a lot, you might find the VC to be a downgrade (not on technical merits, though, I guess).

Good that (almost?) no one else has the same experience with these headphones. I envy the people who are able to enjoy the VC, especially to such an opposing degree to my own experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,991 of 12,524
I deleted a bunch of posts after feeling "done" with this hobby (lol, I'll die or go deaf, first) after receiving the Sony MDR-7506, and instantly preferring it to the ZMF Verite Closed. It is understandable that my reaction was "this hobby is bull" (I've been in it since ~2006, btw, if that means anything [it doesn't, actually]), given that no audiophile types mention the MDR-7506 anymore and it has been in its current form for many, many years, but here I am reaching for it over a $2500, endlessly-hyped headphone released in late 2019.

Since then, the ZMF has seemed to become more clear-sounding with burn-in, to the point where it is "clear enough" to me even with the Auteur (default, thick-backed) pads. The problem is, I still don't like it, and I still prefer the MDR-7506 (and Sennheiser HD 800 S, and the $40 Blon BL-03, and the $6 Panasonic RP-HT21, etc.).

The VC is, in a word, unimpressive, and I feel nothing but a sense of disappointment when listening to it. Also, I still feel that there is something missing/weird in the frequency response curve (no matter the pads).

I switch over to the HD 800 S, and with this headphone, I immediately get what it is going for. While the HD 800 S essentially a diffuse field headphone with its tuning changed to more match the harman target curve, it feels, to me, less of a compromise than the VC, which feels like it was designed by a committee (yes, I know that this is an ironic statement) trying to go for analytical and musical at the same time, resulting in the VC having no real character of its own or special traits to warrant its price ("open-sounding for a closed headphone" is not much to celebrate at $2500).

In direct comparison with the VC, the MDR-7506 has a noticeably thumpier and less textured bass and a maybe peaky (in a way that I love, but, still) treble response, but it is SO CLEAR - without being thin at all, amazingly - and involving as hell! Everything is balanced almost perfectly to what I want! Get those boring, weird VCs out of here!

Ultimately, I was expected to be amazed by the VC, and I never have been, although my (now deleted) posts showed how much I tried to fool myself into believing that I just had to find the right trick to fix it. I think the combination of my exhausting fight against the VC plus the insane price (not going to argue this point [or any other - I haven't read this thread since I first posted in it]) make it one of my least-liked headphones. And I am not saying that it is bad and everyone else is wrong, just that I personally don't find it a particularly worthwhile listen. If you like the MDR-7506 a lot, you might find the VC to be a downgrade (not on technical merits, though, I guess).

Good that (almost?) no one else has the same experience with these headphones. I envy the people who are able to enjoy the VC, especially to such an opposing degree to my own experience.
I'm also unimpressed with the VC, they are the best closed back I've heard but they don't blow my mind. I think some people are overenthusiastic about them and generate unreal expectations. Seems like you enjoy a different sound signature and that is ok and understandable, it is impossible for a headphone to please everybody.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,992 of 12,524
...........I envy the people who are able to enjoy the VC, especially to such an opposing degree to my own experience.

So are you looking to sell your pair of Verites? If so I'd like some more information about your specific set.

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #2,993 of 12,524
H8ers gonna H8 :thinking:

Jun 24, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,994 of 12,524
H8ers gonna H8 :thinking:
Elira said something that I think is very true: "...it is impossible for a headphone to please everybody."

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #2,995 of 12,524
Elira said something that I think is very true: "...it is impossible for a headphone to please everybody."
Sure hence h8ers gonna h8 (I say this in jest) and by the way I do appreciate and welcome all views, positive and negative, as I feel it brings balance to the discourse of the thread and enriches the discussion. It's totally uninteresting to follow any thread that is just an echo chamber of similar views.

Having said that, the tone here is a little odd. If something about a headphone really irks you, why is it surprising that other headphones (even at a lower price point) are more appealing. A $1000 headphone will not sound better to you than a $20 one if the former's sound signature is completely at odds with your preferences. It's not at all understandable how the conclusion was "this hobby is bull****".

I think @ferraro25's frustration stems from trying so hard to like a headphone based on other people's impressions. No need to force yourself to like something you innately detest or envy other people's satisfaction. There are plenty of fish in the sea! I'll have to try the Panasonic RP-HT21, thanks for sharing :)

Jun 24, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #2,998 of 12,524

Your name and post sounded familiar so I went and checked my PMs, I sent this PM to you last time you posted something similar to this, this was on May 5th:

"Hey I wanted to check in after seeing your post. I'm happy to get you a set of Verite pads to try since it sounds like that would be your preferred sound signature. I just feel bad that it sounds like you haven't gelled with the Verite closed.

I would just feel bad if you sold the headphones while not getting to hear them with the pads you might prefer.

Can you just confirm your order number and address so I can get them to you?"

---

You never replied to my message, and now I see you're saying a similar thing. Do you want to try the verite pads since it sounds like you want the headphones to be brighter? Did you not get my PM for some reason? I am trying to help but am a little confused.

I am willing to go to any length to help you, including get you a free pair of pads or check your headphone out to make sure nothing is wrong with it. Please let me try to help.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2,999 of 12,524

If you've followed my posts since I've returned to the hobby, you'd see that I can't stand fanboyism and bias more than anything lol. I have 0 desire to force any type of equipment onto anyone. But I did want to chime in here as I have a pretty good reference for how these headphones perform given everything I currently have on hand.

Given the pricing of TOTL headphones right now, which to just be frank is out of hand imo, the VCs are* extremely good and as good as people say. In my opinion, yes they are outclassed by the Susvaras and TCs (and maybe other high priced cans I haven't heard, idk). But those are several thousands of dollars more expensive, even bought second hand. The VCs come like 80-90% close to those at a fraction of the price. They only things that really stands out more in those and the 009s vs. the VCs are the more open sound/soundstage and slightly better detail and vocals.

All of that said, it's totally fine to for them to just not be your preference. Closed headphones aren't for everyone and certainly they're totally different than the HD800s. Matter of fact, if you really, really like the HD800s I can tell you off the bat that there may be a chance that you won't love the VCs. But the HD800s are also flawed in a quite a few ways and are severely less balanced than the VCs (and I like the HD800s and have said it's a huge bargain), so again preference and YOUR hearing is everything. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just offering that perspective because it seems fair to the VCs given how good they really are. Some honest impressions here as well:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qui...stax-009-sennheiser-he60-baby-orpheus.930051/

Jun 24, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #3,000 of 12,524

Please don't take this reply as me being rude or antagonistic. This is just a friendly post from one forum member to another.

Have you tried visiting an audiologist to get your hearing checked out? I regularly get my hearing assessed on a yearly basis, just to make sure everything is working to spec. In fact I have an appointment this weekend. Much like I need glasses for my eyes, require the occasional foot massage for my flat-feet, and have started to use my wife's moisturizer for my dry skin, I find my hearing changing as I grow older. Beyond any preference to bright or dark headphone characteristics, it may be just your hearing changing with age. In that respect you will, with some certainty, prefer a brighter headphone as treble seems to be the first part of the hearing frequency that will degrade over time.

Again, not trying to be rude, but trying to help assess why some headphones may sound better to you while others may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back