ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #2,431 of 12,513
Sometime, when it is sunny outside... Less is better :relieved:

There is something magical about being able to walk around and still hear good tunes. I recently have been working on upgrading my portable gear, and it's been a blast. That right there is a portable endgame setup, and it doesn't get any better than that. Good stuff!

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,432 of 12,513
There is something magical about being able to walk around and still hear good tunes. I recently have been working on upgrading my portable gear, and it's been a blast. That right there is a portable endgame setup, and it doesn't get any better than that. Good stuff!

I would not have expressed it better :wink:

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #2,433 of 12,513
Whoops sorry about that - fixed the original link. Using my phone too much to copy and paste stuff.

@zach915m , Congrats on a great review and A+ rating in Stereophile. It's nice praise that's well-deserved. Looking forward to joining the VC club soon!

"I had considered Sony MDR-Z1Rs to be the best closed-back headphones in my studio, but in a direct comparison, the ZMF Vérités were unquestionably more open, more transparent, and higher in resolution than my beloved Sonys. ...to my taste, the ZMF Vérité Closed headphones were more naturally focused and inherently musical than any of Focal's premier offerings. ...ZMF's new closed-back Vérités come closer to those MDR-R10s in basic sonic character than any other headphones I've auditioned. In fact, they may even exceed Sony's cult classics in their illusion of speed and transparency."
- Herb Reichert, Stereophile April 2, 2020

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,434 of 12,513
The longer I have my VC’s, I’m starting to realize that you can create just about any sound signature you want with them. In my case it’s pad rolling with Auteur, Universe or Eikon and also making tweaks in my upstream system (Chord DAC filters). For others that is probably tube rolling.

This was not apparent to me at first but the more time I spend with the VCs, the more I realize they can be a jack of all trades. It’s wild.

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #2,435 of 12,513
The longer I have my VC’s, I’m starting to realize that you can create just about any sound signature you want with them. In my case it’s pad rolling with Auteur, Universe or Eikon and also making tweaks in my upstream system (Chord DAC filters). For others that is probably tube rolling.

This was not apparent to me at first but the more time I spend with the VCs, the more I realize they can be a jack of all trades. It’s wild.
This is a very important point that people considering or new to ZMF need to know. ZMF headphones in general, and especially the Verite, can have their signature tweaked significantly by pad rolling. And yes, if you have a responsive tube amp, further with tubes. But pads alone make such a difference, you won't miss much if you're a solid state person. I really wish other manufacturers would get on board with in house tuned pad options for their headphones. Zach really does his customers a huge service making such a wide variety of pads for his headphones. The only drawback is my wife's face when she sees a bunch of ZMF purchases around $70ish on the card hahaha. I think before long i'll end up owning every pad Zach makes! i just cant control myself!!!! goes for m&ms too....

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #2,436 of 12,513
Being forced to work at home had one unexpected benefit, I've learned to appreciate the Auteur solid leather pads on the VC! If you're familiar with my posts, you'll know I find them bright for my preferences. And I still find them to be the brightest pad i've tried on the VC. But.... after some tube rolling with my Pendant, i've found a tube/pad combo that I really like.

I'm using a nos Mullard input tube, which exhibits a very warm/lush treble presentation (JJ power tubes, and nos RFI rectifier tube). pairing that with the Auteur pads softens the treble enough for me to appreciate the other aspects of the pads that I was missing previously. As noted by many here, the Auteur pads seem to present the biggest soundstage, which I completely agree with. vs the Auteur Hybrid and Universe solid leather pads, the Auteur pads are more spacious on all axis. Bigger width, depth, and dimensional placement of the sound. I had forgotten how good the VC can stage with the solid Auteur pads. Listening to Pink Floyd's track, Dogs, really demonstrates the staging capability of this setup.

Another thing i'm noting is the bass. The nos Mullard is warm, with lots of mid bass punch, and that really stands out with the Auteur pads. i'd say the bass hits as hard with this setup as it does with my nos Japanese made rebranded Baldwin 12au7 tube, which is very neutral sounding, and the solid leather Universe pads. so i get the bass of the Universe pads, with the staging of the Auteur pads. it's quite addicting, i must say! the only drawback i note is due to the larger stage, i feel a bit farther back from the stage than i prefer. it's like being close to front row with the Universe pads, and being a few sections farther back with the Auteur pads. But i'll cope...

For fun i did try the Auteur pads again with my solid state RS-08, and still didn't like the pairing at all. Way too much treble energy for my tastes. For that amp I mostly like the Auteur hybrid pads.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #2,437 of 12,513
This is a very important point that people considering or new to ZMF need to know. ZMF headphones in general, and especially the Verite, can have their signature tweaked significantly by pad rolling. And yes, if you have a responsive tube amp, further with tubes. But pads alone make such a difference, you won't miss much if you're a solid state person. I really wish other manufacturers would get on board with in house tuned pad options for their headphones. Zach really does his customers a huge service making such a wide variety of pads for his headphones. The only drawback is my wife's face when she sees a bunch of ZMF purchases around $70ish on the card hahaha. I think before long i'll end up owning every pad Zach makes! i just cant control myself!!!! goes for m&ms too....
With ZMF, the new thing is pad rolling, not tube rolling, which is a lot more expensive. Zach needs to work with Meze and develop some pads for them. It’s been two years and they cannot develop one extra pad for the Empyrean.

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #2,439 of 12,513
With ZMF, the new thing is pad rolling, not tube rolling, which is a lot more expensive. Zach needs to work with Meze and develop some pads for them. It’s been two years and they cannot develop one extra pad for the Empyrean.
i agree, tube rolling is insanely expensive for the best tubes. if i can find good, reasonably priced tubes, and use pads to finish the sound tweaking, that's my preference.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #2,441 of 12,513
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 4, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,442 of 12,513
In the same company as the Susvaras, TCs, and SR1as. Very impressive and intriguing. :beerchug:

I was aware of the Verite Cs being top of the line closed headphones, but I really didn't know much about the Pendant amp. And I didn't know there was a bundle. :thinking:

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,444 of 12,513
Apr 4, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #2,445 of 12,513

Users who are viewing this thread

Back