ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Oct 5, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,096 of 12,513
well @teknorob23 - real empathy here...

Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

I’m distracting myself building a nice neotech upocc silver cable for the new arrival... audiophile’s version of knitting in the waiting room :wink:

Oct 5, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #1,097 of 12,513
I’m distracting myself building a nice neotech upocc silver cable for the new arrival... audiophile’s version of knitting in the waiting room :wink:
I was considering doing that. I'd be keen to hear about your experience in the end.
In prep for the new arrival however, I have just gotten however a Forzaworks Hybrid (UPOCC copper + UPOCC silver). I think however making one would be a fun project (although I am admittedly generally as handy as a 3 y/o).

Oct 5, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,098 of 12,513

Aw heck... I hate to say it but these sound like they match up exactly with my preferences. I love my VOs but my one and only gripe with them is how far away vocals can sound at times and if the VC fixes that maybe it might just replace them... I sure hope not though. My cocobolo VOs are the most gorgeous headphones I’ve ever had the pleasure to lay eyes on and I’d be pretty sad to find myself in a position where keeping them makes no sense. :frowning2:

@Torq - If you happen to have heard the Auteur, how would you say the VC compares in terms of vocals? The magic of the biocellulose driver on vocals is most of why I’ve kept my set. (That and how airy it feels in comparison to the VO; which is what I mostly listen to nowadays.) Also, with the universe pads how would you say the VO and VC compared in terms of 3-D imaging?

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,099 of 12,513
I love my VOs but my one and only gripe with them is how far away vocals can sound at times and if the VC fixes that maybe it might just replace them... I sure hope not though.

I'd try some of the other pad options before switching cans. For me, while I don't find that the Vérité Open's vocals sound "far" away (though further than with the Closed), I did find that switching to the Vérité (perforated) pads resulted in a narrower and shallower stage vs. the Universe (perforated) - both being the lambskin versions.

I measured a whole bunch of the ZMF pads as well (links in the review), but didn't have time to do detailed listening with all of them (I'll get to that at some point, likely when I have the full set, and all options, available), so other's may have similar effects.

@Torq - If you happen to have heard the Auteur, how would you say the VC compares in terms of vocals?

I have, but it was a while ago, and was at the same time as hearing several other ZMF models - so my recollection of which model had what sound is muddled enough that it'd be remiss of me to comment.

Also, with the universe pads how would you say the VO and VC compared in terms of 3-D imaging?

Other than a change in positioning (i.e. it feeling like I am closer to the performance, front-to-back, with the closed ones) and the closed version having a more vivid sense of space (likely from the additional cup resonance/reverberation), they were very similar. But then I often don't get a lot of depth-layering out of conventional headphones. Yes, I get a sense of depth overall, distance to performer/stage, and placement laterally, but front-to-back spatial layering is much harder to discern (vs. something like the SR1a or properly setup speakers).

Oct 5, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,100 of 12,513
I was considering doing that. I'd be keen to hear about your experience in the end.
In prep for the new arrival however, I have just gotten however a Forzaworks Hybrid (UPOCC copper + UPOCC silver). I think however making one would be a fun project (although I am admittedly generally as handy as a 3 y/o).

Its beautiful looking cable and I’m sure it will sound good too. I’ve been making my own cables for about 5 months having been converted to wonders of neotech’s various upocc wires. I’ve sold all my shop bought cabling and built new mains cables, interconnects and hop cables with amazing success (based on the wire tech not my skills with a soldering iron although I’m competent now.. just about). On the HP front lm finding it hard to better a 4 core 22awg upocc silver. It has a lovely full warmish natural sound, but with amazing separation, extension and both ends and adds significant amounts of depth to the Stellia's presentation. Nothing in my shop bought cable collection (RIP :wink:) under a grand could match it. I've yet to hear an HP that does sound good with it, so i have high hopes it will be and ideal match for the VCs.

On the DIY front this was my first experience with 4 pin mini XLRs which have to be the biggest faff for a headphone connector as you have to bridge the signal and earth pins with separate piece of wire, making sure that they're not shorting by wrapping ptfe tape around the connections. Give me simple 3.5 mono jacks anyday over these, like Focal use on everything bar the Utopia. If you do decide to have crack i'd be happy to talk you through the build and shopping list.. be warned though, it's highly addictive!

Apologies all for taking things even further off topic.. back the VCs or at least the wait :wink:

Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 17.16.33.png

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #1,101 of 12,513
9D371A2E-9A02-4E8A-87FC-0462ABAE6298.jpeg DB17FFD5-9BE9-4F4B-95AB-059B49E198C3.jpeg
Anyone ordered the stock Monkeypod VC?
Someone say monkeypod? These are mine! The monkeypod finish and pattern comes in many varieties based on the nature of the grain. I love these and offer a great contrast to my more subdued Barnyard Atticus. Several I have seen at Zach’s shop and online are all stunning in their own way! Some are darker wood, some shades lighter, some will have a more consistent pattern, others more random.

I have just starting enjoying these. Early impressions are fantastic! A winner from ZMF!

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,103 of 12,513
Well here it is...I am floored with how beautiful they turned out... @zach915m created something really amazing! I am floored and enamored...

Completely gorgeous!

Can't wait to steal see them in person!

(And I suspect this makes my own decision on how I want my Vérité Closed that bit easier ...)

Oct 5, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,104 of 12,513
Well here it is...I am floored with how beautiful they turned out... @zach915m created something really amazing! I am floored and enamored...

Holy Purple Haze!!! What did you and Zach do there? Its funny,the other day I was wondering if Zach would be willing to add some color to his designs. Now I know. Fantastic!

Oct 5, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,107 of 12,513
Well, just listened to them out of a Glenn...the hype is real! Wow...what a great sounding amp! It synergizes exceptionally well with the VC...
Are you listening to Zach's or L0rdGwyn's Glenn?
What tube rolls are they using?

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,108 of 12,513

Wow nice.......Heard about these Purple Haze VC's. More impressive than I could imagine..........Zach...............

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,109 of 12,513
I'd try some of the other pad options before switching cans. For me, while I don't find that the Vérité Open's vocals sound "far" away (though further than with the Closed), I did find that switching to the Vérité (perforated) pads resulted in a narrower and shallower stage vs. the Universe (perforated) - both being the lambskin versions.

I measured a whole bunch of the ZMF pads as well (links in the review), but didn't have time to do detailed listening with all of them (I'll get to that at some point, likely when I have the full set, and all options, available), so other's may have similar effects.

I have, but it was a while ago, and was at the same time as hearing several other ZMF models - so my recollection of which model had what sound is muddled enough that it'd be remiss of me to comment.

Other than a change in positioning (i.e. it feeling like I am closer to the performance, front-to-back, with the closed ones) and the closed version having a more vivid sense of space (likely from the additional cup resonance/reverberation), they were very similar. But then I often don't get a lot of depth-layering out of conventional headphones. Yes, I get a sense of depth overall, distance to performer/stage, and placement laterally, but front-to-back spatial layering is much harder to discern (vs. something like the SR1a or properly setup speakers).

Thanks for your responses Torq! I did indeed try pad swapping but if I’m honest I just don’t quite enjoy the presentation/fequency response of the VO with the Verite pads as much as I like them with the universe pads. I found that the soundstage collapsed and the “3D” effect of the universe pads almost completely vanishes for me when I switch to the Verite pads. I also highly enjoy how much warmer the universe pads are; so I’m hoping the VC is just what the doctor ordered! (Even if it doesn’t replace my VOs though I have to use closed backs pretty frequently, so they’ll still be welcome additions no matter what!)

WOW! Those are desert Ironwood?! How on earth was that look achieved?! They’re amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back