ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #992 of 12,522
I. e. the VC has more bass and is a little enclosed sounding?
I wouldnt say that. More sub bass,yes,but the VC does not sound enclosed to my ears at all. Im still getting great 3D sound,its just not as exaggerated as on the VO. Make any sense?

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #993 of 12,522
By golly,youre correct. I was like nah,theres no bongos,yet there they are!

Considering mine is still the only full review out there thus far AFAIK,if you want further confirmation theres a mini-review on headphones.com that essentially echo mine word for word.
We all have our preferences,and I respect that,but the VC is sooooo damn good,that I cant recommend another headphone at this time,even the mighty VO.

Darn spellcheck changed Lynard! Glad you also discovered the Bongos!

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #994 of 12,522
Just listened to some Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter songs on Auteur in honor of his passing. I'm sure American Beauty sounds amazing on VC!

The hi rez version on Qobuz is incredible, my favorite album of all time!

Sep 25, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #995 of 12,522
This is exactly it, the presentation is different enough to warrant both, while at the same time they are very close in performance. Also, the VC is a very laid back headphone also, it just puts you in a more intimate setting. So I think depending on the genre of music and volume it’s just as relaxing/laid back as the VO. I would say that the VO is more “analytical” and the VO is more “romantic/intimate” I’m using strong words here as both perform very well in all settings. I guess a better analogy is VO puts you further from the action say dead middle of seating at an orchestra/venue. While the VC is more middle 1-3 rows back, both are equally engaging, the VO is just slightly less “intimate”.
Your wording may suggest to some that the VC’s have less soundstage depth than the VO’s. Is that what you’re hearing?

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #996 of 12,522
Your wording may suggest to some that the VC’s have less soundstage depth than the VO’s. Is that what you’re hearing?
Well, I no longer have the VC on hand, but these are closed back headphones, the best soundstage closed headphones I’ve heard to date and for me at least the best overall closed back headphone I’ve heard to date. So yes, they aren’t quite as “open” as the VO but that is to be expected. The depth and stage is right there though, with the VO, just not quite as wide or deep, per se. honestly without hearing them it is rather hard to describe them, as it usually comes off as fanboyism or hype-train(esque).

I’m pretty set on just having the ZMF VO/VC and Aeolus as my primary listening headphones, along with my RAAL SR1A for crossing the uncanny valley between speakers and headphones. @Monsterzero has it right when he says these are phenomenal headphones, I preferred listening to them majority of my listening time...I even packed them up everyday and took them to work while I had them for a couple of weeks. The two actually really do compliment each other quite well, but for me I found myself reaching for the closed more often.

@Torq has them now and I think he will be able to convey properly how I feel about them, as he is much better at reviewing and explaining what he is hearing then I am. I’m more of a “how I feel”/ “how a thing makes me feel” style reviewer/impressions point of view. I prefer to drink whiskey and sit down and just start writing about what I’m hearing off the cuff rather than technically writing about something....it feels more real that way for me, as this is very subjective hobby and varies depending on ones audio chain, experience, etc...

The best compliment I can give for the VC, is that I emailed ZMF after hearing it, asking about ordering my own set. I then waited with everyone else for the 20th and ordered one the day it went up for order. It’s a lot of money for sure...but these have grabbed me, only a few headphones have done that so far 3 out of 4 are ZMF headphones, the other is the SR1A. I am anxiously waiting to have my own set in hand! Money where my mouth is type of thing.

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #997 of 12,522
It'll telegraph my full/formal review somewhat, but the Vérité Closed are in my "Top 2" contenders for "best closed-back headphone". They've already ousted the HD820 (which I love, and still own, even if I am in the minority there), and are really just competing with the Focal Stellia for the top spot. And that may just come down to mood, choice of music, and what I've been imbibing at the time.

One thing is for sure, the Vérité Closed are easily the closest-sounding-to-their-open-back-sibling headphones I've ever heard.

If I could only have ONE headphone, and it had to be a closed-back (for isolation), it's down to the ZMF Vérité Closed and the Focal Stellia.

Absent the SR1a, I'm not sure that changes much even if it didn't have to be a closed-back can.

To come at this from another angle ...

I have two pairs of Focal headphones (having preciously owned all six of their audiophile line at once), the Stellia and the Utopia. I have two pairs of Sennheiser headphones currently (HD800S and HD820). I own three pairs of ZMF cans (Eikon in Padauk, Vérité open in Ziricote and Cocobolo) and am only waiting on a final decision of choice of wood to add a fourth.

Again, telegraphing my review ... if you're in the market for a TOTL closed-back can the Vérité Closed absolutely belong on your audition list. And if you loved the original Vérité but want isolation/reduced leakage, the Vérité Closed are a no-brainer choice.

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #998 of 12,522
I then waited with everyone else for the 20th and ordered one the day it went up for order.
Which did you choose? STD or LTD? I am curious, especially after auditioning the STD for a while...

Sep 25, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #999 of 12,522
Which did you choose? STD or LTD? I am curious, especially after auditioning the STD for a while...
Going by his penchant of capturing beautiful pics, I assume LTD

Sep 26, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #1,000 of 12,522
Well, I no longer have the VC on hand, but these are closed back headphones, the best soundstage closed headphones I’ve heard to date and for me at least the best overall closed back headphone I’ve heard to date. So yes, they aren’t quite as “open” as the VO but that is to be expected. The depth and stage is right there though, with the VO, just not quite as wide or deep, per se. honestly without hearing them it is rather hard to describe them, as it usually comes off as fanboyism or hype-train(esque).

I’m pretty set on just having the ZMF VO/VC and Aeolus as my primary listening headphones, along with my RAAL SR1A for crossing the uncanny valley between speakers and headphones. @Monsterzero has it right when he says these are phenomenal headphones, I preferred listening to them majority of my listening time...I even packed them up everyday and took them to work while I had them for a couple of weeks. The two actually really do compliment each other quite well, but for me I found myself reaching for the closed more often.

@Torq has them now and I think he will be able to convey properly how I feel about them, as he is much better at reviewing and explaining what he is hearing then I am. I’m more of a “how I feel”/ “how a thing makes me feel” style reviewer/impressions point of view. I prefer to drink whiskey and sit down and just start writing about what I’m hearing off the cuff rather than technically writing about something....it feels more real that way for me, as this is very subjective hobby and varies depending on ones audio chain, experience, etc...

The best compliment I can give for the VC, is that I emailed ZMF after hearing it, asking about ordering my own set. I then waited with everyone else for the 20th and ordered one the day it went up for order. It’s a lot of money for sure...but these have grabbed me, only a few headphones have done that so far 3 out of 4 are ZMF headphones, the other is the SR1A. I am anxiously waiting to have my own set in hand! Money where my mouth is type of thing.
Well said. I thought the VC’s had an amazing soundstage for a closed headphone. Once I put them on, I couldn’t believe I was listening to a closed back headphone at all. Everything I was hearing reminded me of some of the best sounding open headphones out. The VC’s are more open sounding than my Utopia’s while being more musical. They are on my short list to buy next.

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,001 of 12,522
Oh, hmmm...welll.... I ordered...umm... I don’t think I’m currently at liberty to say what I ordered...needless to say I’m very excited about it! I can’t wait to take pictures and share with everyone, once I have them in hand =) @zach915m if it’s ok with you, I would like to hold off on revealing what mine are, for as long as possible lol, obviously you can reveal them when you so desire. Needless to say, my excitement for my set of VC is palpable! @zach915m is a master craftsmen/artist, not only do you get great sounding headphones, but unique heirloom level pieces of art with each different headphone! This appeals greatly to my inner collector...not so much my wallet :wink:

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,002 of 12,522
Oh, hmmm...welll.... I ordered...umm... I don’t think I’m currently at liberty to say what I ordered...needless to say I’m very excited about it! I can’t wait to take pictures and share with everyone, once I have them in hand =) @zach915m if it’s ok with you, I would like to hold off on revealing what mine are, for as long as possible lol, obviously you can reveal them when you so desire. Needless to say, my excitement for my set of VC is palpable! @zach915m is a master craftsmen/artist, not only do you get great sounding headphones, but unique heirloom level pieces of art with each different headphone! This appeals greatly to my inner collector...not so much my wallet :wink:
I'm betting on zircote, for a matching pair of verites

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #1,003 of 12,522

I'm betting on zircote, for a matching pair of verites

Yeah - Ziricote makes sense.
Obviously, not the STD or LTD options that are "officially" offered... :wink:

Sep 26, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #1,004 of 12,522
Well, after hearing the VC, I emailed Zach, with a special request regarding the VC, I figured the answer is always no until you ask, so luckily Zach said he would give my request a shot, we will see how it turns out =) I have a lot of faith it will, I only have limited time/experience with ZMF, but all my interactions and experiences have set the bar for me moving forward in this hobby. I was lucky enough to meet @zach915m and his wife @BooUrns at CanJam SoCal this year, and can say with confidence they are a lovely couple very deserving of all the praise they get!

I highly recommend anyone with the means to jump into the gravitational pull of ZMF...it is a bliss filled journey for sure!

Also, I wanted to make it clear all my interactions with ZMF has been as a consumer, via email, just like everyone else. So I was fully prepared for a “sorry, can’t do that” response regarding my request. I’m feeling very fortunate and grateful to Zach for entertaining my request. I hope it leads to future opportunities for runs of the VC. Or it could be a proper pain in the rear for him...I’m hoping for more opportunities =)

Also, wanted to make clear the reason I had the preview VC was due to knowing someone that got it in and was going to be out of town. So they reached out to Zach, to allow me to have a listen while they were away. I’m very grateful for this opportunity and to both parties that allowed me said opportunity. I was not the intended recipient for the VC, just a lucky bystander... =)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #1,005 of 12,522
Well, after hearing the VC, I emailed Zach, with a special request regarding the VC, I figured the answer is always no until you ask, so luckily Zach said he would give my request a shot, we will see how it turns out =)

To expand on this what we ended up doing for @Darthpool's set is something I had planned on incorporating into the stock wood versions of the Verite closed and is designed into the cup design. I will specify all this etc etc when we finish his set next week and show pics and all that and explain it. Sorry for not giving too much info - it's an aesthetic thing though just FYI.

---

As an update on production - I am updating the order sheet now - we got a few days behind perfecting the machining of the baffles. But we are all set with that and start final assembly on a lot of sets tomorrow and through the weekend.

Just about all of the first batch of Desert Ironwood sets are in some state of production - with more wood being cut as we speak.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back