ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #708 of 12,513
I have to say you might be right about tube amps in general hampering some of the speedy flavor of these headphones but I think my Pendant amp will be a great match for them.
Well,I dont think its a general statement regarding all tube amps,and tubes in general. The VC sounds stellar thru my GOTL,but the tubes that work best for my preferences tend to the fast side of things.
The warm,holographic,romantic tubes that I use for the VO,do not sound good on the VC to my ears.

Fortunately for GOTL owners,we have literally millions of tube combos we can roll to dial in the perfect sound for pretty much any dynamic headphone.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #709 of 12,513
I read that « The Monkeypod version has more decay ».

Can someone explain me what is decay ?
Is it a good thing or... bad ?

Thanks in advance

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #710 of 12,513

Thanks in advance
Decay is how long a sound lingers. For example, a drum strike that continues to reverberate in your ear after the initial strike,thats decay.
On the other hand,if that same drum strike hits,and then is immediately gone,thats referred to as a fast decay.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #711 of 12,513

Thanks in advance
That depends, decay in the recording is an instrument continuing to vibrate for a while until it fizzles out, and the perfect audio system will reproduce that perfectly. Some systems will stop too soon because of some form of dampening, or lack of sensitivity to small signals, others will stop too late because of resonance or something. So which one is better depends on which one was closer to the recording, and that's hard to judge.

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #712 of 12,513
Well,I dont think its a general statement regarding all tube amps,and tubes in general. The VC sounds stellar thru my GOTL,but the tubes that work best for my preferences tend to the fast side of things.
The warm,holographic,romantic tubes that I use for the VO,do not sound good on the VC to my ears.

Fortunately for GOTL owners,we have literally millions of tube combos we can roll to dial in the perfect sound for pretty much any dynamic headphone.
Monster, can you be specific regarding a few of the tubes you prefer for the VC vs. VO? Not that everyone prefers the same tubes, but curious if the tubes I am targeting for my upcoming GOTL have me covered for when I get a Verite of my own. Much appreciated!

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #713 of 12,513
Monster, can you be specific regarding a few of the tubes you prefer for the VC vs. VO? Not that everyone prefers the same tubes, but curious if the tubes I am targeting for my upcoming GOTL have me covered for when I get a Verite of my own. Much appreciated!
Sure.
On the VO I prefer the GZ32+Tung Sol 6SN7GT Black glass/round plate+RCA 6080 or GEC 6AS7G or Tung Sol 5998- *this is a super warm roll,but has very deep holographic imaging.

For the VC I like the GEC U52+ Ken RAD VT231 staggered plates(apparently the KR 6SN7 sounds the same) 6pack of 6BX7s (im using GE as thats all I have).

At RMAF I believe Zach was using GZ34+ Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass round plate+ Tung Sol 5998 for the VC,but dont quote me on that.

Rectifiers=GZ32,GZ34,GEC U52
Drivers=Tung Sol 6SN7GT BGRP, Ken RAD VT231 or Ken RAD 6SN7
Power tubes= Tung Sol 5998,GEC 6AS7,RCA 6080,6BX7s

GZ32 is fairly easy to find and not stupid expensive. GZ34 is harder to find and usually goes for over $100.00. GEC U52 is God Tier and can go for over $350.00 and up.

TS 6SN7 BGRP is generally considered to be amongst the very best of this type of tube,and not cheap. Ken Rad VT231 is not as expensive and is known for ethereal sounding mids and fantastic bass.

Tung Sol 5998s are about 200-400.00 for pair. Brighter sounding with good extension and wide staging. GEC 6AS7G is God Tier and quite hard to find. Expect to pay over $500.00 for a pair.
6BX7s are easy to find and can be found for as little as $12.00 each. I use 6 at once,but you can get away with 4 or even two(i think). Fast and snappy with great impact.
RCA 6080s are dirt cheap,and easy to find. Big bass. Warm and romantic.

Im sure @UntilThen and @Phantaminum can comment further on their preferred VO tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #714 of 12,513
Just be cautious because of the „new toy syndrom“. If the VC would have been released prior to the Stellia then it all might be the other way round and it would be raved about the outstanding, never heard clarity of the Stellia because we would have heard the warmth of the VC for half a year and would want something new to play with (that’s the curse of us audiophiles) :)

Edit: I am sure next year Meze will come up with the closed back companion of the Empyrean, than it all starts again from scratch. Oh, I am looking forward to it :wink:

Exactly, this is what happeneded with the HD800S (from "best ever" to overly analytical), Utopias (from "worlds best" to whimsy and narrow sound stage), Empy (from "brilliant for all genres" to unengaging) ... the list goes on.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #715 of 12,513
Make me a market ...
How long before the VC ltd ed sells out ?
Minutes? Hours? Days?
my fear is seconds, ie before i can buy mine! hopefully hours though, i want one bad. that desert ironwood is amazing looking. i won't cry (much) if i miss the ironwood but land a monkeypod. but if you want to see a grown man bawl, see me if i miss them both!

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #716 of 12,513
Exactly, this is what happeneded with the HD800S (from "best ever" to overly analytical), Utopias (from "worlds best" to whimsy and narrow sound stage), Empy (from "brilliant for all genres" to unengaging) ... the list goes on.

There's definitely a hype cycle, but a lot of that is just more people getting their ears on it and offering more opinions.

The HD800 and HD800S had a lot of detractors immediately on release -- I think they've been the most controversial headphone releases I can remember -- and their flaws were well-known even immediately. Their reputation has faded not because they've been reassessed, but because the things they do well have now been done well by other headphones, without the downsides.

The others I think are just a case of differing opinions. There are still people who think the Utopia et al are totally top-notch great, and there's also people who don't think they're all that. It's not that the consensus has wildly shifted, it's just that more people equals more opinions.

Sep 19, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #717 of 12,513
There's definitely a hype cycle, but a lot of that is just more people getting their ears on it and offering more opinions.

The HD800 and HD800S had a lot of detractors immediately on release -- I think they've been the most controversial headphone releases I can remember -- and their flaws were well-known even immediately. Their reputation has faded not because they've been reassessed, but because the things they do well have now been done well by other headphones, without the downsides.

The others I think are just a case of differing opinions. There are still people who think the Utopia et al are totally top-notch great, and there's also people who don't think they're all that. It's not that the consensus has wildly shifted, it's just that more people equals more opinions.

Interesting points. I do remember the HD800 perception differently, but I wasn't so much into the hobby then. However, with the Utopias I really felt there was a drop in general perception, and I assume most people (negatively) commenting probably did not own them anyway. I still love mine, btw.
I also assume the Verite is being let off lightly with the passing of the time, with ZMF being a small company with a nice guy, and may be because they deserve it. Let's see.

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #718 of 12,513
thank you for your explanations about decay. Now... I still do not now which to choose between LTD and standard Closed verite ! :wink:

I heard you saying "get booth" ! !

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #719 of 12,513
I think I'm gonna go ironwood or bust. I'm sure the monkeypod sounds great, but if this is going to replace with my atticus in the "thump" department then I want it to be as much of a step up as possible. This is also my way of allowing fate to tell me whether I should just be happy with what I already have or not. :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #720 of 12,513
thank you for your explanations about decay. Now... I still do not now which to choose between LTD and standard Closed verite ! :wink:

I heard you saying "get booth" ! !
I don't remotely think this will help, but but thought I'd give my two cents...

Given how relatively similar both must sound, and how much individual tastes vary (not least because our reference points tend to be quite different: different HPs, different amps, etc), after pondering for hours about this dilemma, I went with the only criteria I had left: looks. I chose the LTD. I think they are just a touch more beautiful. :wink:

I'm sure both sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back